G'day from Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSPhunter_21! View Post
    And I guess the other thing I should is that generally once a week we have my wife's parents over sometimes her sister and brother and partners, and I put on bbq for mates and things so I really need to be able to make meat for up to ten people.

I'm interested in brisket, pork ribs, chicken, and keen on working with game too.

So what size do I need to consider for that?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Cookin that many folks a SnP is hard to beat for the money.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Welcome aboard.

As far as the differences, charcoal, gas and pellet, those would be the different types of heat sources.
      Smoke source can also be the heat source in the case of a stick burner. Chunks of wood can be added to charcoal to add smoke. A smoke tube or maze uses pellets or sawdust to provide the smoke. A tube or maze could be used with a gas grill to provide smoke. In a pellet grill, the pellets provide both the heat and the smoke.
      As mentioned in previous posts, you could smoke items using a Weber grill or even a gas grill providing you are able to configure it so the heat is indirect to the meat.
      An offset smoker has a separate firebox that connects to the smoker chamber typically from one side hence the name offset. The smoke stack is on the opposite side of the firebox.
      If you have decent fabrication skills and access to a welder etc, you can build an offset smoker pretty easy as there are plenty of examples on line and calculators to figure out the firebox and smoke chamber volume etc.

That was a 10,000 ft flyby of things. Lots of great information on this board. Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GSPhunter_21! View Post
        And I guess the other thing I should is that generally once a week we have my wife's parents over sometimes her sister and brother and partners, and I put on bbq for mates and things so I really need to be able to make meat for up to ten people.

I'm interested in brisket, pork ribs, chicken, and keen on working with game too.

So what size do I need to consider for that?

IMO, if you are looking for something that can cook for up to 10 or so, and also can perform pretty much every other cooking or smoking task, I would consider a 26" (older version, if you can find one) or a 26.75" Weber Kettle. They can do pretty much everything, in a semi-compact patio friendly design. I have owned one for aboot 5 years, and owned every other type of Weber cooker/smoker with the exception of the Ranch. If I had to choose only 1 it would be the 26.75". And I would put a Vortex in it. Just me, others may have different opinions. For size analysis, I have cooked a 19.75 lb brisked in it, and 2, 7-9 pork butts several times. it's quite big compared to a 22.5". As Richtee mentioned, the prices down under might be pretty high, butt it is a great cooker with a lot of grill estate.
        sigpic

Comment

Aboard Mate Ask the questions, a lot of knowledge here!
          Ed

Smoke Vault 24
          Vermont Castings Gas Grill
          Thermoworks Smoke
          The "Fastest" Orange Thermapen around!
          The Neighbor's 36" Blackstone

Comment

So i went out last night and bought a smokebox for my gas grill and a blend of some apple, cherry and mesquite chips. Was thinking of trialling a rack of pork ribs tonight maybe and see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
              IMO, if you are looking for something that can cook for up to 10 or so, and also can perform pretty much every other cooking or smoking task, I would consider a 26" (older version, if you can find one) or a 26.75" Weber Kettle. They can do pretty much everything, in a semi-compact patio friendly design. I have owned one for aboot 5 years, and owned every other type of Weber cooker/smoker with the exception of the Ranch. If I had to choose only 1 it would be the 26.75". And I would put a Vortex in it. Just me, others may have different opinions. For size analysis, I have cooked a 19.75 lb brisked in it, and 2, 7-9 pork butts several times. it's quite big compared to a 22.5". As Richtee mentioned, the prices down under might be pretty high, butt it is a great cooker with a lot of grill estate.
              Yeah most things in Australia have a 50-100% markup so could be hefty. The wife has agreed to maybe let me buy one when we sell our house. Hopefully that's very soon! I was on the Weber australia website and I think the medium sized charcoal kettle looks good, it's about a quarter of the price of the big one which makes getting it over the line less of a hassle!

Comment

Working...
              X