Smoked thick cut pork chops in the MES Custom SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked thick cut pork chops in the MES Custom SS

Well, now that I've had the MES Custom SS for a couple of months, I've probably made 10 runs of sliced jerky and sticks. That is what I originally designed this custom mod for and it works like a champ in that role. But recently I've been using it for higher heat smokes of more traditional meats in the 225* to 250* range. I'm impressed with the performance in that mode as well. The rock wool insulation and precision control of the Auber Instruments plug-&-play PID in a box makes this thing a joy to use. I'm almost shamed to say I have not fired up the WSM with charcoal since I made the MES Custom SS mod.

So far at "normal" smoking temps I've run the following:

- Ring of fresh home made Italian sausage
    - Cut chicken leg quarters (with the skin seared on the Weber Summit S-670 sear burner to finish)
    - Smoked burgers (again seared on the Weber Summit S-670 to finish)

Tonight's run of "regular" smoked meat will be 4 large and nearly 2 finger thick pork chops in the MES Custom SS at 250* right now. Did not take any photos of the prep, but I will post the results. The recipe I used was from Malcom Reed and his "How to Do BBQ Right" website (there is also a Youtube video). The rub is my own, but other than that its straight from his recipe & video. I only made 1/2 the brine recipe and used a gallon zip lock bag instead of the 2.5 gallon he uses. It's an easy recipe.

- 4 thick cut pork chops (like 2 finger's worth of thick!)
    - 32 ounces of Apple Brine
    - BBQ rub
    - Montreal Steak Seasoning

The Brine consisted of (this is 1/2 recipe of his original version):

- 32 oz of apple juice or apple cider (I used 100% juice)
    - 1/2 cup of light brown sugar (packed)
    - 1/4 cup of Kosher Salt
    - 1/4 cup of BBQ rub

Heat 1/2 the apple juice in a pot, add the salt, sugar and dry rub. Heat while stirring until sugar and salt are dissolved. Remove from heat and add the other 1/2 of the apple juice/cider to cool the brine down. The brine can be made ahead and stored in the fridge.

Put the chops in a zip lock bag or other container to hold chops and brine. He recommended putting the zip lock in a bowl to contain any leaks. Good thing I did as one of the bones in the chops poked a small hole in my bag. Pour the cooled brine over the chops, burp as much air out of the bag as possible and move the chops around to make sure all the meat is in contact with brine. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Fired up the MES Custom SS at 250* about a half hour before taking the chops out of the brine. I ran hickory pellets in my pellet tray as these chops should only take about 1:15 to 1:30 to fully smoke & cook (not going to absorb a ton of smoke in that time).

Pulled the chops from the brine and let them drain on a rack in a sheet pan. Hit them all over with a decent amount of the same pork rub I used in the brine, and then with a light application of Montreal Steak Seasoning. Then into the pre-heated smoker over an empty foil pan as a drip pan to smoke. I'll check and turn them in about an hour, but I plan on smoking them to the recommended 140* internal temp before pulling and letting them coast the last 5* to a final temp of 145*.

Here is Malcom's video of this process and where I first saw the recipe:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e9isO7XSLYA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I took a quick snapshot of the MES Custom SS & chops when I checked their temp. They are at 127* so it should not be too much longer.

Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Got sidetracked by Football & eating the chops. Moist and a great flavor. This is an easy and tasty smoke and only took about 1:10 in the pre-heated smoker to cook to 140* internal. I will be making these again for sure. Finished photos....

Dave

Comment

Looks perfect Dave!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Thanks!!!!

Easy smoke to do and the flavor was wonderful. I'm absolutely doing this again...
        Dave

Comment

Looks Mighty Tasty from here, Dave!!!

Nice Job & Great Post !!---

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Looks delicious!

Darren

Comment

Those look great. Man, thats a big ol dude in the video
              Mike
              Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
              POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
              Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Dang it man them look good,,Great job,,, POINT

A full smoker is a happy smoker,,,, is your smoker happy today
                Desert Storm Vet - USS Midway CV41 - decom crew.
                1930 Fridge Build
                MES 30" With Mailbox Mod
                Therma Pen
                Maverick 732
                Mini Therma Pen
                Frog Mats
                Weber Junior
                AMPS & AMPTS

Comment

MMMMMMMmmmmmm!!!
                  ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
                  ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

Nice job those look really good.

Comment

Thanks to all.... They had another pack of boneless chops on markdown at the Kroger today. Will be doing this same process again later this week or weekend
                      Dave

Comment

Looks excellent Dave!
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X