Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Rough Jerky Smoker Design

And I mean rough.

Based on my calculations of shelf space that allows me to do 5 pounds of jerky at a time, if I build a smoker with five 24" x 18" expanded metal removable racks. I should be able to do 10 pounds at a time.

Here is a rough sketch of the cabinet I intend to put these shelves in.

The plan is to build it out of wood (because I can't weld) and heat it with a hot plate. I have a 1000 watt one now but have seen 1500 watt ones that will fit in the cabinet. It will have a rack somewhere in the bottom 12" chamber above the hot plate to catch drippings, deflect heat etc. The bottom and top sections will have separate doors.

It will ONLY be used for low temp stuff -- fish, jerky, sausage -- so it should never see temps above 165°. Maybe some Canadian bacon so it could possibly see temps up to 200° but I could easily be talked out of that.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Is the shelf spacing sufficient for jerky? Bottom portion to tall? I figured I could always raise the hot plate up if need be.

Thanks.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

As FAST as your jerky goes, I would build 10 of those, and start raising beef in your back yard

No pro on smoker design (or anything else ) butt looks like it should work fine to me

Ken has his little smokie design/build smoker on here somewhere. Looks maybe like something you are looking to build? Might be worth checking oot?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
      As FAST as your jerky goes, I would build 10 of those, and start raising beef in your back yard
      If my calculations are correct and 5 pounds (raw beef) smoked on Saturday gets me to Tuesday, 10 pounds ought to take me to Friday. But then 5 pounds raw is only about 2.25 dried though.

I guess it's a good sign that everyone wants to eat it and give it to friends.

Ken has his little smokie design/build smoker on here somewhere. Looks maybe like something you are looking to build? Might be worth checking oot?
      Saw that one. It's quite a bit taller than I think I need though.

Dave
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      -

Comment

You got it Dave

So, if Kens design is taller than you need, you should be able to add more racks in that size, and still get the OK from the wife to raise beef in the back yard?
        sigpic

Comment

Paramount in a "jerky machine" is airflow. You may need more BTU's than you think. Consider this in the design.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I gotta agree with Rich, air flow to evaporate the moister. I'd add a fan or two.
            sigpic

Comment

Hmmm...Ya got me thinkin...
              Not so sure about the expanded metal idea...
              Maybe check into the jerky racks that LEM sells...
              No fear of rust and they clean fairly easily...
              And definately air flow over heat...
              Crowding the trays will restrict airflow...Trust me...
              I'll be watching this because I want one
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

I don't do jerky and don't have one of these, but I know a couple people that use them for jerky and fish.
                For the price($129.99 with free shipping, smaller one is only $115) it seems it would be a good investment and no hassles of finding parts & building one. Unless of course you just like the idea of building something. wouldn't one of these work?

They say they hold up to 50 pounds of meat on the 5 trays.
                Original link was to Amazon for same price

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...FUM2gQod7IoF9A

Last edited by BYBBQ; 10-25-2015, 01:31 PM. Reason: fix pic & link
                Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                  I don't do jerky and don't have one of these, but I know a couple people that use them for jerky and fish.
                  For the price($129.99 with free shipping, smaller one is only $115) it seems it would be a good investment and no hassles of finding parts & building one. Unless of course you just like the idea of building something. wouldn't one of these work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=B000ZKZJMY

Thats what I use for jerky and fish, works great. I built an insulation box for the outside of it to finish sausage in. It can get to 240*+- inside I think it was with the box on. Withoot, runs aboot 135* I think. Had one since I was 21.

Need more room? Buy 2
                  sigpic

Comment

Hi Dave,

A lot of good advice above---Air Flow won't work too good if you crowd the racks, etc, etc.

About the only thing I can add is "I'm glad I'm not the only one who is only good at working with wood." If I need anything done in metal, I have to defer to my Son.

Bear
                    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                      Maybe check into the jerky racks that LEM sells...
                      No fear of rust and they clean fairly easily...
                      Nice, thanks for that idea. I could put 2 of those side by side at each level and have five racks each 26" x 18". And they would be a lot cheaper than expanded metal.

50 pounds of pork butts might fit on those trays but not 50 pounds of meat sliced 1/4" thick and laid out in a single layer. That's what eats up the space.

Thats what I use for jerky and fish, works great.
                      What is the spacing between the racks, Scott?

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      Paramount in a "jerky machine" is airflow. You may need more BTU's than you think. Consider this in the design.
                      Yep. I'm good on the airflow idea. I used to operate lumber dry kilns way back. Thinking about adding a couple of computer fans to the top if I can get them to run slow. Just move the air along, not suck all the heat out. And maybe increase rack spacing to 5" or 6".

Dave
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      -

Comment

3" between racks Dave.
                        sigpic

Comment

3" between racks Dave.
                          Interesting . . . looks like my original 4" spacing design is not that far out of whack then. As long as I leave some gaps between the pieces of meat there should be good airflow?

Dave
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          -

Comment

Well Dave, I didn't figure whole pork butts would fit on those shelves or cook in that unit based on it's size and specs. It was just an option to consider or get specs from.
                            Sorry I mentioned it.
                            Jim

Comment

Well Dave, I didn't figure whole pork butts would fit on those shelves or cook in that unit based on it's size and specs. It was just an option to consider or get specs from.
                              Sorry I mentioned it.
                              No apology necessary, Jim. Just pointing that the spec doesn't necessarily apply to smoking jerky.

Dave
                              UDS 1.0
                              Afterburner
                              Weber Performer
                              Blue Thermapen
                              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                              Auber Smoker Controller
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X