Do I have To Throw These Away ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have To Throw These Away ?

Hi all. I think I know the answer to this but looking for some more opinions on it first please. I made 10 lbs of snack stix . 75% ground beef and 25% ground pork. I of course had the correct amount of cure #1 in the recipe. I then smoked them slowly till they reached 152 degrees IT. Put them in paper bags and in fridge over night. Next day at lunch break I took them into my garage and vacc packed them into 4 packages. THEN, like an idiot, I went back to work and forgot the vacc packed stix in the garage. I remembered on the way home from work about them. So, they were properly cured and were vacc packed but then they sat in the garage all afternoon = about 5 - 5 1/2 hours in garage ...... temp in garage was between 70 and 80 degrees ( so above room temperature a little). I immediately threw them in freezer when I got home. So.........are they now fit only for the garbage bin would you think ? Or ??? Thanks in advance for any thoughts, comments, etc.....

I'm pretty sure you're fine. Think "Slim Jims" that sit out on the counter for months in the convenience stores
    sigpic
    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Cured, and smoked, and cooked, you should be fine. jerky like that sits out on the counter all the time.
      Mike
      Life In Pit Row

Comment

Ya I think you are fine!! I know some guys that make them and send reg mail to our fine soldiers over in Iraq and Afganistan

DS
        Desert Storm Vet - USS Midway CV41 - decom crew.
        1930 Fridge Build
        MES 30" With Mailbox Mod
        Therma Pen
        Maverick 732
        Mini Therma Pen
        Frog Mats
        Weber Junior
        AMPS & AMPTS

Comment

Hmmmm.... I was wondering about that stuff as well. Possibly because they were already cured, cooked and vacc packed maybe they WILL be safe to consume after all.

Comment

I've had snackstix made at christmas just lying around at room temp for the last 8-9 months.

every now and then I remember and eat some - they are fine :-)

The only time you ever need to worry if is the vacumn seal isn't perfect OR if the seal is perfect but the vac pack seems loose. ie: something in the pack is generating gas.
            Them you don't eat.

But the whole point of curing, cooking, smoking and vacumn packing is to make something that will keep - nigh on indefinitely.

But regardless of whether they were vacpacked or not - just lying around in the house, fresh stix would be good for a couple days anyway.
            Only reason tobin them would be surface mold.

Well not our house - Phoebe would steal them.
            She had 1/3rd of a cheese cake the other day that was cooling in the annex.
            My dad left the bloody annex door open.
            I was not happy lol

I even had some packs of stix in the annex last summer. Was hot, they kind of started to ferment - which actually made them safer, but tasted a little bit acidic.
            Look I'm gonna eat them unless they develop green wobbly bits :-)
            I don't throw away food.
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Panthur View Post
              Hmmmm.... I was wondering about that stuff as well. Possibly because they were already cured, cooked and vacc packed maybe they WILL be safe to consume after all.

Think of it this way:

If you decided they needed more smoke you could have put them in the smoker for another 5 or 6 hours or more.
              What's the difference between your smoker for 5 hours or your garage for 5 hours?

No problem!!!

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Well since you put it that way, it make perfect sense I suppose. Good thing I checked on this forum, I was ready to toss them for sure but now I shall be eating them it appears. Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

Its al about the cure.
                  Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

With cure they are fine.

Hell, we let stick "mellow" in paper bags at room temp for days before vac packing them for storage. The last batch I made on Monday is still sitting in a paper bag on the kitchen counter. Between friends and co-workers, my 5 pounds is down to about a pound, so I doubt they will last the week.
                    Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Somebody here, can't remember who right now, had either snak sticks or jerky in their truck for like a year or something, then found the bag. He asked if they were safe to eat. Various replies, as I recall..... He's either OK, or is no longer posting here for some reason
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X