Smoked duck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked duck

From farm to fork, duck we raised. This was a smaller one, probably 3 lbs which isn't bad for a duck. Average was 4 lbs, still shooting for a 5 pounder. Last year they sent all female ducklings. This year hopefully get a Drake, then I can start selective breeding to hopefully get to that 5 pound mark.

Nothing special on this one. GMG set at 300 not sure what pellets I had in there, I think cherry. Salt n pepper. Cut the slits in breast fat. Have trouble with skin getting color and crispy so I tried something new. I rubbed it down with honey. Onto smoker for an hour, ran out of pellets so last ten minutes it went into the oven. When putting in the oven I glazed with an orange sauce.

Went a bit deep on two cuts, oh well. Rested and served with glazed butternut squash.

Skin was better could eat the majority except where it got real fatty on the breast. The wife and I each get a breast, Nolan got the drumsticks, and Hazel got some thighs and remaining trimmings. The kids love duck. We got them at the parents in their freezer cause we don't have room. Yesterday when getting it Nolan said "don't you think you should grab two, I could eat a whole one". I should've listened to him. Good thing we got about 9 more in the freezer. Thanks for looking!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    sigpic

I love it Ryan...Only duck I ever ate was some breast meat that I smoked...Liked it a lot...

Raising and cooking your own food is how it ought to be
    when I get em...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
      I love it Ryan...Only duck I ever ate was some breast meat that I smoked...Liked it a lot...

Raising and cooking your own food is how it ought to be
      when I get em...
      Thanks Craig, I love duck so do the kids, wife not so much but she eats it. I got 15 last year, I'm thinking I'm going to get 30 this year. I want to have breast in freezer to try prosciutto and pastrami. Also want the legs for duck confit. Always wanted to try it. As long as I can keep the chicken Hawks away I'm hoping to have them in the pasture with the pigs.

A little farm update, I've decided to try raising fodder. Right now I bought a bag of feed oats, I soak them in water for 24 hours. Then I rinse and spread into trays. In six days the oats should be 4-5" tall. One pound of seed turns into 7 pounds of feed. My first batch isn't turning out I think it's too cold in the basement. Got a couple trays started on the counter. I plan to switch to wheat next week. It's cheaper. If I get this going successfully I'll be able to keep the cows. With 1 bushel of wheat I should be able to feed 60 head of my animals for $4.50 a day. Hell of a lot cheaper than what I'm spending now.
      sigpic

Comment

Looks good Ryan! Only had duck in stew so far... The squash looks tasty, love squash..... Good Luck with your farm projects
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
          Looks good Ryan! Only had duck in stew so far... The squash looks tasty, love squash..... Good Luck with your farm projects
          I really like these butternuts and then acorn. I bought 2 of these about 2 months ago. I'm hoping this year to plant about 10 hills of butternut and acorn. Be nice to store a bunch in the basement and the pigs love them also.
          sigpic

Comment

Hey Ryan, that look great! I know you know more about duck than I do but I just want to pass this along for what it's worth.

I love duck and it's a different bird as you know. First time I had it a friend of mine grilled some Green Heads one night for dinner during a fishing trip. I was instantly a duck fan .

I got his recipe and have done store bought ducks for the family. Kids absolutely love it. That said, I have also tried smoking it and the fat issue, time and what not was not worth it. A hot grill just seems to be the ticket IMHO.

Here's an old thread I did and it's short on details when I posted it a ways back. I never did follow up and post the marinade/recipe.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6474

The marinade is verbatim from my buddy:

"BBQ Duck Marinade

Lemon pepper
            Italian salad dressing
            Garlic, crushed or chopped, more is better!
            Teriyaki or Soy sauce 12-15 oz.
            1 orange
            Orange juice

I like the duck cut in half as it makes it easier to marinade and cook on the grill. But, you can do the whole duck or breast meat for that matter. Place birds breast down in pot, add lemon pepper, salad dressing and garlic to up side of halves, then another layer of meat, repeat above process until you have all the birds in the pot. Then I add the entire bottle of Teriyaki sauce 12-15 ounces, cut orange in quarters, squeeze juice from each quarter and leave quarters in marinade. I add enough orange juice to almost cover the all the birds..That's it, then put in refrigerator overnight. I find that if you try to BBQ too many birds, say 8 or 9, that your entire grill is full of ducks, the grease fat from the birds will have you scrambling to keep the fire down on the grill. If you do say, 2-6 birds, it isn't such a problem. While cooking I sometimes dip them back into the marinade once or twice. Those big fat ducks will require you to keep turning them over and it is tough not to blacken the birds...I have come to love the charred taste, myself. Cooking time is about 15-18 minutes over hot fire will produce R-MR results, depending on size of ducks. Enjoy…"

for doing duck. It's a great meal!
            Pete
            Large BGE
            Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

The thing ya has to realize is there is a fine line tween smoked duck an....smoked puck! ( in hockey terms)
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

That looks delicious!!

Try a rotisseriefied duck somethyme... WAY yummy! Here's one I did:

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23834
                Last edited by HawgHeaven; 01-07-2018, 09:44 AM.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Looks Great Ryan!!!

I used to love Duck, but all I ever had was the wild Ducks we used to shoot when my Dad was still around. I guess they're quite a bit more lean, but boy were they tasty (Minus the BBs)!!

Nice Job.---

Won't be long, you'll have to make one for Nolan & one for the rest of the family.

Bear
                  Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Luv me some duck... Nicely done...
                    Same sort of problem with my family when we have duck... Too many mouths, not enough duck...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                    Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X