Looks Like I Found Myself A New Sharpener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by butcher View Post
    the true use for a steel is to keep an edge on the knife and align the bevel.
    To Sharpen a dull knife I use a two sided wet stone.
    That's what I was trying to say, B.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Uh Hu, I was agreeing with ya.... Mark don't seem to think so. I can shave the hair off my arms with my knives LOL,,, I'd like to see a knive that can do that just "sharpend" from a steel LOL
      www.facebook.com/butchcolquhoun _____________________________________________

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
        Wow, really 40 and 50 degree angles for the edge? That's way to much IMHO. I sharpen mine between 25 and 17 degrees. 22ish for the bigger chopping knives and down closer to 17 for fillet and paring knives. Some times up to 30ish for cleavers and such, but 50 degrees? Geez, I wouldn't even use that on an axe!

Unless the angles are measured differently on the Edge Pro?
        Okay! So here is my review after gutting and skinning eight elk, two deer, and two beef, and cutting up two deer and two elk...

This is a good sharpener. My pard Keith has it at his house now finishing up on his two elk.

Regarding the angles above - I was wrong - the degree on each side is actually half the numbers I listed above - 25* for kitchen/slicing, 20* for hunting/utility - making the overall edge 40*/50*.

Still using the same belt, so I'm thinking the long life is accurate.

I was initially concerned with the amount of metal this little machine would remove, but got over that - with it sitting on a white paper towel, the metal grind is virtually impossible to detect after multiple sharpens.

I think the negative reviews and or comments from others have to do with this:

*Failure to read the instructions! The purple belt DOES NOT SHARPEN, but will hone a blade to a razor edge.

*Most blades will require a resetting of the edge. Depending on previous sharpening angle, this can take a LOT of time with the red belt. I finally started using the green belt to establish the edge, then switched to the red belt.

*Once the edge is established, a couple of passes with the red belt is PLENTY sharp to skin/cut up meat and not worth the effort to change the belt.

I found that using the 20/40* guide resulted in a blade that stayed sharp much longer. The first day of our hunt, I gutted two elk and a deer, then skinned the deer before I felt it need resharpened. This included ripping the brisket of the deer - we sawed the pelvises on all three.

So... I guess this review and $4 will get you a gallon of gas.. but I'm left very impressed with this little gadget.

Tracey

Comment

While my wife was in town today she picked up a WorkSharp, will have a product review to follow after we get a few sharpenings/cuttings under our belt!
          --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
          www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

I can say that my fillet knives and also my Forschners have never been any sharper. I was keeping quiet about this sharpener since I thought maybe Tracey would forget that I had it. Unfortunately, he stopped by tonight to make sure I still had it. I really does do a great job on putting a sharp edge on and the knives seem to stay sharp for quite awhile. We just finished processing two more elk and was glad Tracey loaned me his new sharpener.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Lol. Put that knife in there wrong and it's toast. Love how an experienced sharpener says it's easy. The average dingding will shave half a knife away and still say it's not sharp.

Stones are the only way to go. Unfortunately some of us aren't talented enough to do that. Dad has it down pat. For those of us who don't, try these. Doesn't matter who makes them. Smith, Gatco or Lansky. The important thing is the edge. Same angle, same edge. Every time. Haven't sharpened my hunting knife in 4 years. Went through 2 deer like butter.

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-323109.html

Works on your kitchen knives, filet knives, whatever.
              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
              CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
              New Braunfels Bandera
              UniFlame Gas Grill
              Lil Chief

Comment

Working...
              X