Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spatchcocked Brisket, Bird, and a coupla Butts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spatchcocked Brisket, Bird, and a coupla Butts!

A really good guy that works for me is hosting his son's first birthday and baptism bash this weekend and asked me if I would "smoke up some stuff for about a 100 people".. HELL's YEAH! I says... so I took the day off and I'm going with brisket, butt, and some yard bird. Picked up three packers, 14, 16, and 18#'s, two butts, and will be spatchcocking and brining the birds tonight and smoking them tomorrow right before the event.

Sharing this mostly because of the spatchcocked brisket I'm sure this has been done, but I've never tried this. Basically peeled out the large hunk of fat from the corner of the point, then semi-separated the point from the flat, removing a lot of the excess fat between the two. I found that you GOTTA be careful trimming the top side so as to not fully separate them in that process. I separated the belly side right down to the point, and the back side down until I ran out of meat on the point... 2/3 to 3/4 down if that makes sense.

I'm hoping this turns out!

Rub - did a combo of Canadian Steak seasoning and dried basil, ran through my redneck spice grinder, and granulated garlic - finger test was . Applied some worsty and soy, then rub a dub dubbed them.

Spatchcocked

I ended up scoring the top side so that I could see where the meat was... worked great... wish I would have thought of that on the first two!

Hitting them with hickory and oak at 225*

I'll be back with updates and the yard tomorrow. I would have waited, but I know how Keith loves to see my smokes strung along for two days

Thanks for checking out my post!
    Tracey

Six hour update

Last edited by WALLE; 07-22-2011, 01:44 PM. Reason: Progress Update - 6 hrs

That brisky lookin' frisky! Can't wait for the updates.
    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Walle dumpin da clutch!!! Stay in it!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Awesome start Tracey. Heck, I'd have Keith over helping guard the cooler!

Kinda cool when people ask for your stuff...You know they wouldn't request it and serve it at their parties if it wasn't some awesome eats. It really says a lot.
        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Nicest cockspatched brisket I've seen to date
          sigpic

Comment

That's awesome! Looks like ya got it going on. I will be looking forward to your results. Happy Smokes
            Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
            Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

6 hour update

Here we are at six hours.
              Small brisky at 157
              Large briky at 149..

I think I may just eat this shat right now!!

Comment

dang nice,

those butts and briskets already have some great color going on.
                Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Keep on it with those mega updates
                  sigpic
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  New Braunfels Hondo
                  4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                  1-26" Weber Kettle
                  24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                  Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Don't think I have seen that done. Why not? Good to keep an idea of the grain for slicing... well done!
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

You go, Tracey!!!
                      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                      Pink Thermapen
                      Purple Thermapen

Comment

Burnt End Question

Hey Rich - thanks. The scoring was more to see how much and where to trim than to slice later... but I sapoz it'll do the trick for both.

So here's a question for you brisket goo-roos... I decided that if I turn the points all into burnt ends, they will end up with four selections of meat instead of just three... I'll be reheating these tomorrow while I'm smoking my chickens.

Would it be better to go all the way tonight on the burnt ends, or just pull them, chunk them, then wait until tomorrow to rub, sauce, and bring to 190-200??

Helps me O'wise Ones!!!

Comment

Tracey, you be on the Spatchcocked pinnacle of dis earth! Tou got it goin on. Looks excellent so far...lookin for more Q!
                          Mark
                          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Awesome . Great idea and they look mighty tasty too
                            Scarbelly

Comment

If, for the "show" you'd like to do the ends tomarrow...do that. Plus they'll be nice and crispy.... and only take about an hour... and you can use a grill :{)
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                              X