Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home made (sorta kinda) rib rack for about $5 - works too !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made (sorta kinda) rib rack for about $5 - works too !

So living in england, I can't just walk into a shop and buy bbq or smoking supplies and kit. There are no shops like bass pro - or even wallmart.
    Outside of 'the season' there is nothing in any shop remotely bbq related.
    Until I joined you lot - I didn't even know I needed/wanted/had-to-have all this kit

Now I've been on the lookout for something I can easily convert into a rib rack for some time. Short while ago I found something:

10 minutes work with some wire snips and you get this:

I figure it would hold 6 racks at a pinch.
    But went for 4 (cos that's what I had in the freezer).

2 of the racks had my chinese rub on and 2 had MH.
    I whipped up an apple juice based kinda sate sauce for the mopping. So in the end all four tasted like that - just with varying degrees of heat lol.

Got a great smokering too.

Great ribs. Great rib rack and the right price - plus making your own stuff is always more fun that buying it :-)

I can now see why you use racks. Not only do the ribs cook quicker - these took about 3 hours. I probably should have foiled after 2 - but mopped in stead. foiling is better :-)
    Moving the racks around couldn't be easier, the widths of the slots are infinitely adjustable, it's sturdy, cleans up easily and shouldn't rust.

Plus I reckon I can easy fit 2 ribracks in the bottom of the outlaw. Giving me 8 racks of ribs at a go (potentially 12 if I really load them) and all the cooling level free for other stuff. throw in my heat deflector (big old roasting tray over the charcoal) and I reckon I could get 12 racks of ribs, buncha chicken, sausage and some abts in at the same time.
    I'll find out in june for the guide dog day helpers annual bbq :-)

But first run with looftlighter lit charcoal and homemade ribrack - 100% success

And that's what I did new years eve :-)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 01-01-2012, 08:13 AM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Great creativity CA! Looks you're off to a good start in the New Year. That reminds me that I do have one of those rib racks and never used it. Forgot aboot it actually.

Comment

Reminds me of a sign I used to have over my desk back when I had a real job-

"I have been doing so much for so long with so little, I am now qualified to do anything with nothing"

Nice bodge CA
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

That's quite the invention, Alex. Good looking ribs too.
        sigpic
        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

[QUOTE=curious aardvark;288258]So living in england, I can't just walk into a shop and buy bbq or smoking supplies and kit.QUOTE]

when you get my package.......
          brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
          18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
          cast iron Hibachi
          22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
          & rotisserator
          12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
          stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
          Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
          http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
          my music recordings-
          http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Nice rack...so to speak, to coin a phrase.
            Chargriller Pro w. sfb
            Ducane 4100 propane grill
            Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

cheers folks - looking forward to the parcel rob.
              I'll get yours posted this week :-)

Two of those racks went home with dave this morning - his partners ill and they couldn't make it last night. I managed to limit myself to just the two racks last night
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Ribs AND Rack look great!!...... You should also go by Creative Aardvark, as well as Curious Aardvark & Old One Grind....

if I got em
                sigpic

Comment

Who's a clever lad!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Great idea. Love it.
                    sigpic

Comment

That's down right ingenuitive Alex. Just think where we'd be today if you're ancestors had showed some ingenuity in the 1770's.

Tom

Comment

Necessity is the mother of invention, as they say. You done good with this project. Both the rack and ribs look dead on. Reminds me, I need another rack for my ECB, really have to maximize space with that little bot. Can you link me to, or otherwise provide me with your Chinese rib rub recipe. I do like some Chinese ribs on occasion.
                        sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                          That's down right ingenuitive Alex. Just think where we'd be today if you're ancestors had showed some ingenuity in the 1770's.
                          Hehehehe... Crumpets anyone?
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I guess once you start seeing what others have done to modify this or that the creative juices start to flow. You start seeing the potential of most anything. Nice work and the ribs look great too!!
                            www.nopigleftbehind.com
                            -----------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                              Well for a start you'd all be driving on the correct side of the road, we'd have the same dictionary and rednecks would just be people with a bad suntan :-)

I believe one of my ancestors was 'hanging' judge geoffreys.
                              Possibility not ingenuity - but he made a statement :-)

right - so I've made me rib racks, charcoal baskets and cold smoke generators - what else do i need this year ?
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X