Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home made (sorta kinda) rib rack for about $5 - works too !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mulepackin View Post
    Necessity is the mother of invention, as they say. You done good with this project. Both the rack and ribs look dead on. Reminds me, I need another rack for my ECB, really have to maximize space with that little bot. Can you link me to, or otherwise provide me with your Chinese rib rub recipe. I do like some Chinese ribs on occasion.
    way to think outside the box on the one and the ribs look good too.

here is a link to alex's chinese rib rub in case you missed his post
    http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...771#post288771
    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

okay please forgive me on this question. What is the benefit of using a rib rack verses just letting the ribs lay on the grate? More space yes but is there a benefit to cooking them on the rack ? Thanks
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Given' ya for ingenuity, CA - but mostly for those kick ass ribs!!

Comment

Nice work Alex! from me for the wonderful looking ribs!!!
          Don

Humphrey's Pint
          Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
          Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
          Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
          Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
          Anova One Sous Vide
          AMPS
          Purple Thermapen
          Maverick ET-733
          DigIQ DX2
          Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Very nice bit of a kit sir Alex!! Ribs look great as well!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
              okay please forgive me on this question. What is the benefit of using a rib rack verses just letting the ribs lay on the grate? More space yes but is there a benefit to cooking them on the rack ? Thanks
              mostly a space issue. on my char-griller smokin pro i can do three racks of st louie style layin on the grill surface. with a rack i can double that amount

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                Well for a start you'd all be driving on the correct side of the road, we'd have the same dictionary and rednecks would just be people with a bad suntan :-)

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                  mostly a space issue. on my char-griller smokin pro i can do three racks of st louie style layin on the grill surface. with a rack i can double that amount
                  Great thanks. Just wanted to make sure I was not missing out on something. Well keep that in mind if I need to loadem up some day!! Thanks again!
                  Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                  Yoder YS640
                  Weber Genesis
                  Weber 18.5" Kettle
                  Weber Performer
                  Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Great thanks. Just wanted to make sure I was not missing out on something. Well keep that in mind if I need to loadem up some day!! Thanks again!
                    They ARE harder to mop..and they are not conducive to competition ribs as it's very easy to mess up the "barq" using them... but for backyard ribs...great things to have!
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Space is a big part of it. Particularly for me. Using the outlaw offset I pretty much only have the left hand side for cooking (technically with the heat shield I can use the top right cooling rack for things that don't mind heat:- chicken and abts and sausages work great up there.)
                      But 4 racks of ribs in the rack takes up less space than 2 racks flat on the grills. Plus I'm pretty sure I can do 12 racks of ribs with rib-racks and still have space around them for abts.

But the ribs definitely cook quicker and more evenly (I did turn them upside down about half way through). Standing upright more of the surface area is exposed to smoke and heat as opposed to lying flat.
                      Plus it's very easy handling, you don't touch the ribs themselves, so don't rub any of the rub off (lmao which is pretty much the opposite of what rich said - nothing changes much round here ) .
                      To move four racks of ribs around you just grab the rib-rack and move once.

I'm a convert :-)

Thanks for comments and points
                      Last edited by curious aardvark; 01-02-2012, 11:09 AM.
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

(lmao which is pretty much the opposite of what rich said - nothing changes much round here ) .
                        To move four racks of ribs around you just grab the rib-rack and move once.
                        You will get an un-even barq, and if not careful, scrape the tops. Well, with the rack I use anyway. It's made for the WSM, so it's "tighter" than yours is. That said... I did take a first at a burn last year using it. Apparently the taste was good enough to overcome the blemished barq...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          They ARE harder to mop..and they are not conducive to competition ribs as it's very easy to mess up the "barq" using them... but for backyard ribs...great things to have!
                          who needs to mop just spritz them bad boys

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                            who needs to mop just spritz them bad boys
                            My mop has chunks... CBP, red pepper, etc...

And I'm too manly to..err.. "spritz" anything Squirt, spray, etc..OK fine. NEVER "spritz".

Comment

lol next time I'll just wrap the whole thing in foil - much easier
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

So living in england, I can't just walk into a shop and buy bbq or smoking supplies and kit. There are no shops like bass pro - or even wallmart.
                                Outside of 'the season' there is nothing in any shop remotely bbq related.
                                Until I joined you lot - I didn't even know I needed/wanted/had-to-have all this kit
                                Great job on the rib rack Have ya ever thought about moving

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                                My mop has chunks... CBP, red pepper, etc...

And I'm too manly to..err.. "spritz" anything Squirt, spray, etc..OK fine. NEVER "spritz".
                                That's like me saying I would NEVERride in a pink car when the Mrs had her Mary Kay Cadillac. But I would ride in a "rose beige" car
                                Last edited by Crewdawg52; 01-04-2012, 06:53 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X