Friday Afternoon Ambition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday Afternoon Ambition

Got together with some friends who are interested in learning to smoke meat and we launched an ambitious undertaking. We wanted to have something for a Mothers Day Dinner for the women and came up with the idea of smoking Italian Sausage for that evenings dinner and smoking a piece of Brisket and a big ol Turkey breast. 3 Meats at once.

So by early in the afternoon we had the Turkey on one side of the grill
    and it had been olive oiled and rubbed with a poultry rub we found and mixed up, the Brisket which I slathered up with prepared mustard and used
    a Kroger Garlic & Peppercorn hard crust rub, and the Italian Sausage right out of the pack just to see how they would fare with the Hickory smoke
    we would blast them with.

We figured the Sausages would be well cooked and smoked within 3 hours
    and I fixed up a sauce of tomato, green pepper, and onions spiced up like the ones you buy on the mid way at the State Fair's from the concessions.

The Turkey would be held for Sunday, Mothers Day (today) and the Brisket for one evening this week when we'd want to tear into it.

So we fired up the minion in a rather large charge of briquettes and got up a head of smoke from the wet hickory wrapped in foil.

The Turkey had been brined over night and was ready to be rubbed. I had used my syringe on the Brisket the night before and pumped it with a mix of Dales marinade and Worcestershire Sauce. I hit it about every square inch and gently pumped the sauce to it and allowed it to rest for a bit before placing it a gallon zip lock to sit in the fridge overnight.

So by the next day we would be ready to put these in the smoker and
    have at it.

This is how the Turkey Breast Came out

Carved open it was super juicy and oh did it smell good. Warmed it in the oven for today's Mothers Day Dinner.

Then we sliced it up to plate it and it was like cutting butter it was so tender.

But more about the Mothers Day Dinner later. This just covers the story of the Turkey.

The Italian Sausage smoked up nice and the smoke just took it into another realm. With the tomato sauce, Peppers & Onions I had steamed some steak buns to put these together with. To go with it we had mustard potato salad, baked beans, and bread & butter pickles with some Iced tea.

But here is a picture of them in the bowl. They were lighter before the smoking. These had chicken in them as part of the meat and I'd never seen Italian Sausages like that before. Don't know where they got them.

As for the Brisket, here it is with the beginnings of the rub applied over the mustard.

The fine rub stuck nicely to the mustard and I didn't lose much during the smoking.

Here the finished Brisket has rested and I cut the two tips to wrap up for
    the others to take home and give their friends and family a taste.
    On the right side tip a slice is set up so you can see it.

But as for today's Mothers Day dinner, we had the Turkey and it was juicy
    and tender and with a lovely smokey flavor. Steamed some squash, green beans, and we soaked some corn on the cob in a white wine brine
    before roasting it on the grill.

This soaked corn was a whole new experience. Y_U_M !!

When the corn starts coming in with the husk on it we'll experiment more
    with the wine soak. Presently it has the husk removed. Farmers market here we come.

For desert we had some strawberries which were sliced and generously sprinkled with powdered sugar. Then topped with about a teaspoon or so of Balsamic Vinegar. If you haven't tried this......hold onto your tongue.
    It is an interesting flavor experience. Talk about layers of flavor !!!

Saved the Turkey carcass to pick the remaining meat to make Turkey hash with and put the
    rest into a stock pot with water to make stock from.
    Last edited by eDJ; 05-13-2012, 10:55 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

As usual my invitation must have got lost in the mail!!! Look great!!
    www.nopigleftbehind.com
    -----------------------------

Comment

That's nice right there!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Have pulled the husks back and brined corn in sugar water before but the wine is giving me all sorts of ideas, think of the endless flavored possibilities!!

Grub all looked great, love brisket, love sausages and especially love smoked turkey
        There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Comment

Re:

Been resting up some today after a full weekend of smoking and grilling.
            Did multiple meats Friday, Smoked and grilled steaks Saturday night with some ATB's......one of those ATB's trurned out to Thermo Nuclear ATB ! musta had a momma that was a Scots Bonnet....hottest thing I ever had in my mouth. Burnt the lint right outta my navel.

Sunday I grilled some veggies Skiskiebob style and had the Butt I smoked
            warmed up and sliced to go with it. Made some mushrooms too since ALDI's had them for .59 cent a pop.

Monday, grilled bratwurst, burgers, and had pasta salad and potato salad to go with it.

Busy weekend in a cooking marathon it seems.

A couple of big brined and rubbed Chicken Breast

Here are the Ribs and a Boston Butt which was brined and rubbed with some Weber rub I wanted to try.

Here we are several hours into the smoke

And the ribs finished in the last few minutes with some home made que sauce.

Don't have a good photo of the smoke ring, cause once the other friends got their teeth into these ribs it was like watching those little "Piranha fish". They didn't stop till we had a bowl full of bones that were clean as a whistle. But please take my word that they were good.

Here is the plated Butt resting for a bit before it went into several layers of foil. Then into a 1 gallon zip lock. It was Sundays dinner with the skisk veggies etc.

The Chicken breast, with the right one having a meat thermometer stuck into it.

Cut the edge off the butt to see if I could get a look at the smoke ring. The light is always giving this camera fits, but by the time we are in the bottom of our day having started around 10 am the sun is glaring right into the kitchen.

Fixed up some baked beans and am already getting yellow squash off the vine, so steamed the squash with some zuchini.

And had some Deviled Eggs which are just yolks, yellow mustard, a little butter, white pepper, a few drops of white vinegar and a 1/2 tsp measure of turmeric.

But all of it played like a orchestra on Memorial Day !

Comment

Like!

Turkey hash sounds interesting. Any details on its preparation? Great cooks!
              sigpic

Comment

Re:

Did a few other things while the week end wore on.

Brined some corn on the cob with the white wine mix and grilled it when
                doing the skisk veggies.

And here is the Butt with the veggies.

With this feast I decided to cook up some mushrooms I got at ALDI's.

Now, this is simple enough to do. Just brush off the mushrooms and take a damp cloth and wipe them off to your satisfaction. DO NOT put them in water to wash them. Mushrooms are porous and will absorb that water, and that will ruin your dish. Next go to the bottom of the stem and measure back with a sharp knife about 1/4 inch and cut discarding the bottom of the stems. Next turn the mushrooms with stems facing you and cut them into 1/4 inch slices and place them in a dry bowl.

Now, melt the better part of a stick of butter in the skillet and add a couple tsp of garlic salt and mix this well as it melts and get ready to add the sliced mushrooms.

Add the slices and toss them using a cooking spoon, I use a wooden, and get them coated in the hot bubbling butter. Allow to cook for about a minute and turn heat to simmer. The picture below shows the mushrooms after about 15 minutes.

So I take these off the heat and allow them to rest for about 10 minutes before serving them.

Now I had one guy who said, "I don't like mushrooms, they taste like dirt"! Well I asked him what kind of mushrooms he had had before that tasted that bad. He said they were on a salad bar, so I figured they were raw. I asked him if he would just try one of these and let me know what he thought of them. He wasn't too enthusiastic but one of the girls tried one and swore they were the best she had ever tasted. So to be popular with her he tried one. It took a few seconds and he did a 180. He wanted another and then another. He wound up eating most of them. LOL Everyone else wanted them but thought they would just back off
                and let him indulge. So next time I'll get to make a bucket of them I guess. He wanted the recipe and he saved the butter off the empty
                skillet to pour onto his squash & zucchini.

So this was one of the high lights of the week end, showing someone who didn't like something that it was possible to fix that item in a way that they would like it. So now he has a new item he can eat with his steak
                and add to the enjoyment.

Comment

Re:

Turkey Hash, hmmmm I may just have a recipe my dear ol' Granny used
                  for that. I'll have to dig for that one. I think I still have the old aluminum
                  stovetop Dutch Oven she used to make that in, up in the attic too.

I'll have to get back with ya on that one Fishawn.

But you just gave me an idea with this I ain't seen done here yet and it may just be the ticket for some good smoked turkey for for a pot of soul warmin, rainy bad weather, Turkey Hash.

Thanks for the points !
                  Ps.. Between smoking meat and the two smoker builds I got going on the back burner now.....it's getting to be a way of life.

Comment

What a nice assortment of goodies you got there! Love the corn idea. Thanks for sharing. Turkey breast looks great too! Hell, it all looks like something I could chow down on for sure!

Comment

Nice!!! I love turkey hash, too!
                      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                      Pink Thermapen
                      Purple Thermapen

Comment

Re:

Yesterday was rainy and windy but I still wanted to do something I've been wanting to learn more about. Lots of experimenting ideas with this already.

So I picked up a 5 pound bird washed and trimmed it up for a Beer-in-butt Chicken smoke. The beer I selected was a Yuengling Lager in a tall boy can. But I'm still not satisfied with the beer flavor yet.

Another problem I had was the size of the beer can "tall boy" won't fit the
                        wire beer can stand. Hmmm. I think the next time I'll save a can and wash it out well and use a bottled craft beer that has some malt in it
                        and pour it into the 12 oz empty can. I may even steep it with some onions and aromatic herbs before putting THAT into the can. Make that ol' bird taste like something yet !

As you can see I got my Hickory Chunks soaking in some of that Lager.
                        I took a few sips of it and thought it was OK but not really the flavor level I wanted. Next time I think I'll try some Dos Equis, or a Bock. I won't go so far as a Stout though. A Porter may not be bad.

So I had some Weber "Kickin Chicken" I wanted to try with this and for the Injection Sauce, I melted 2/3 stick of unsalted butter, an ounce or so of extra virgin olive oil, and a tsp of the Kickin Chicken rub to flavor that for a few minutes.

Next I filled the syringe, holding the needle above the spices in the bottom. Then began injecting.

The rest of the injection sauce is reserved to coat the skin and this placed into the fridge for a few minutes to set and become tacky for the rub to be applied to. Then the rub was applied and a foil pan sit on the grill where
                        the water pan usually sits in the smoker. By using the can of beer that will provide the moisture and allow adequate room for the bird.

This worked out just fine and gave the can a stable platform to support the
                        bird.

About half way through the smoke I checked it and low and behold..

That ol' Hen looked so good I'd kinda wished I'd put a mirror in there with her so she could primp.

I really stoked the smoking wood to it too so with the wind and all
                        I figure enough of the smoke basted the bird.

So when I got done and pulled the can out of the bird, this is how it looked.

The bird rested for about 10 minutes and I covered the all with foil and set it in the fridge for Sunday's dinner. It will warm up in the Oven and be ready to serve just as you see it.

Got plenty of squash coming in now and corn on the cob is .10 cent an ear now.

I think I'm going to try that corn I saw Raichlen make where he grilled it bare, then mopped it with mayo when it came off. Then sprinkled it with some sharp Mexican cheese, then squeezed some lime juice on it, then dusted it with chili powder. Think he called it Chicago-Mex corn.

As for the squash, it volunteered and is going crazy.

But that was this "Friday's Ambition" and although I was pleased 6ith my work it still leaves me with plenty of questions. So it looks like I'll have to eat a lot of chicken to satisfy my mind.

But I'll be saving my 12 oz cans and buying a few single bottles of various beers for doing this. It probably only takes 6 oz of beer to do this, so
                        I could do one bird with half a bottle of beer and mix the onions and aromatics in the other portion of the beer to flavor it up and then do the next bird that way. And take notes.

Then I may incorporate some beer into that injection sauce.

Keep in mind that that birds like this are commercially raised and don't have the flavor of free ranged farm birds. ;)

Comment

Re:

Ok, here is the Turkey Hash recipe Granny used to make and the card says
                          it came out of a McCalls Magazine Cookbook from 1962 it looks like.

Savory Turkey Hash

4 Tb butter

2 C diced Yellow Onion

1/2 C chopped Celery

1 to 2 tsp of Salt

1/4 tsp black Pepper

1/4 tsp ground savory

2 C left over Turkey Gravy

1 C Turkey Stock or Milk

4 C chopped cooked Potatoes

4 C chopped cooked Turkey

add peas, carrots, or whatever left over vegetables you have to taste

In hot butter in large skillet saute onion & celery till golden (about 12 minutes) then remove from heat. Add remaining ingredients mixing until
                          well combined. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered and stirring frequently. (about 30 minutes or until most of liquid is evaporated)

Serve hot with warm biscuits.

Granny always made this a bit on the soupy side so there was gravy to it
                          to sop the biscuits in. It was always good eating right after Thanksgiving. Time was she made biscuits from scratch, rolled them out and cut them. Seems like she dusted them with Arm & Hammer or something with a soda flavor to it. Probably mixed it with her dusting flour but I don't know why. It was still mighty good eating with that hash.

So there ya are. Ya may want to season it to your own taste but this is a 50 year old or more recipe.

Comment

Re: Sunday Dinner Chicken

Well after smoking the beer can Chicken Friday we covered it with foil and set it into the fridge. Figured we'd have it today (Sunday)

So last night we put several ears of corn into the wine-brine around 9 PM
                            so it would be ready around noon today. About a 12 to 15 hour brining
                            in the White Zinfandel mixed 1 part wine to 3 parts water with some coarse Kosher salt and a bit of sugar with some chili powder sprinkled in.

Had broccoli on sale and picked up some green beans to steam and dress up with rice wine vinegar and tarragon vinegar. Iced tea to drink on this breezy sunny 70 F day.

Well, the bird went into the oven at 8:30 am to warm it up for the noon hour and have it at a warm serving temp. (but not steaming hot)

For no more that was done to prep this bird it vastly exceeded my expectations. It was delicious. Meat all but falling off the bone it was so tender but not dripping wet juicy either. Just perfect. The skin was
                            delicious too. I tried both the breast meat and the thighs & leg. Hell, I could do this again tomorrow !

All the members of the party were uncommonly silent as they ate. The dog was the most vocal of all in attendance. But I figured that when the foil was taken off the bird earlier when it went into the oven. Even cold it smelled wonderful. Honestly I didn't think it would turn out this well when we were smoking it.

If anyone were treating a noob to smoking as a demo, this may be the
                            a great entry point. Some mashed potatoes & gravy, corn on the cob,
                            and some pie for desert would make a convert of a burger/dog grilling Daddy! (and before the July 4 cook out) LOL

So here's the bird as we took the meat off to plate it.

The sharpest knife all but pressed the breast meat off the bone instead of
                            cutting it. By the time I remembered to take a photo I'd almost shaken the meat off of it.

But plated, here is what I got from this 5 pound bird.

One of the gang found a deal on some Kiwi fruits and brought them in, so
                            no them ain't eggs. We're going to try a molded Jello salad with them.

So today was a memorable Dinner. I can't begin to tell you how well this set with me. Honestly I didn't think that marinade sauce made of a little melted butter and olive oil seasoned with a bit of the rub would really
                            come out this well. Even that Yuengling Lager had me wondering if it
                            would really make a difference. But I couldn't see using anything like Coors light.

Every beer can chicken I've ever seen was done in a Kitchen Oven. Doing it for 3 to 4 hours in the smoke a totally different world.

Comment

I had the Beer can Chicken tonight.I pulled it and took some of the crispier skin and diced fine and mixed in.Makes a helluva sammie.Good looking grub.
                              sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Working...
                              X