No announcement yet.

Lavatools Thermowand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How fast a thermometer is depends a lot on how small/fine the tip is. Not so much on electronics.

Thermapen, as far as i know, does not make their components. They only assemble them.

dcarch

Comment

Wish it was back lit. I have themo pen that has served me well but cant get myself to buy a new one just for the backlight. I pickup one of those cheap headlamps instead.

Comment

Thermapens are made in the UK. Lavatools Thermowand "As a boutique developer, we have decided to put together our products in China as it allows us to retain a high level of quality control while keeping the price point affordable." http://lavatools.co/pages/about-us That explains the lower cost but personally, there's enough cheap Chinese stuff out there to choke a horse. I'll stick with my Thermapen.
        sigpic
        New Braunfels Bandera
        New Braunfels Hondo
        4-22.5" Weber Kettles
        1-26" Weber Kettle
        24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
        Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

"The Thermapen® is made by Electronic Temperature Instruments Ltd (ETI), a company based in Worthing on the sunny south coast. The Thermapen® is made by hand on site by local people, ensuring the Thermapen® is the high quality product that we know you have come to expect from ETI.----------------

-------------ETI is located in Worthing at two sites, Easting Close and Southdownview Road. ETI currently employs 118 people in total. The company manufactures 70% of the products it sells, the balance being sourced from overseas suppliers. --------------------“

An electronic chip/IC manufacturer would be much bigger, not just 118 total employees, which includes cleaning crew, accountants, shipping clerks, package designers, marketing and sales, management, etc.

A typical Home Depot store employs about 150 employees.

"Make", "Manufacture" all have different definitions depending on the country.

dcarch
          Last edited by dcarch; 12-03-2014, 07:19 AM.

Comment

I might get one for a backup to my thermopen, but I would still lean on my existing thermopen for most q related operations.... might be a good extra to keep in the kitchen and for $25, it could be a consideration as a backup.
            Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
            Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
            A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
            A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
            Frogmats
            Maverick ET 732
            Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dsgarner06 View Post
              I might get one for a backup to my thermopen, but I would still lean on my existing thermopen for most q related operations.... might be a good extra to keep in the kitchen and for $25, it could be a consideration as a backup.
              My thoughts exactly
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

I just ordered one for $28 and free shipping. Sometimes my thermopen goes blank, does this happen to anyone else? Usually just shaking it fixes it but I wanted a backup anyway.
                Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

So I went ahead and got one... thanks for sharing the info.
                  Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
                  Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
                  A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
                  A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
                  Frogmats
                  Maverick ET 732
                  Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
                    I just ordered one for $28 and free shipping. Sometimes my thermopen goes blank, does this happen to anyone else? Usually just shaking it fixes it but I wanted a backup anyway.
                    Move the probe a couple degrees. My take is a possible "dirtying" of the sliding contacts on the probe portion. Mine developed this a while ago. I opened and closed it for about 15 mins and have not seen it happen again in about a year.
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      Move the probe a couple degrees. My take is a possible "dirtying" of the sliding contacts on the probe portion. Mine developed this a while ago. I opened and closed it for about 15 mins and have not seen it happen again in about a year.
                      I will try that Sir.
                      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

You talked me out of it when you mentioned China!

Comment

Doesn't look like I can get one over here.

But I would like to make case for the little weber thermo I bought recently.
                          Almost as fast as the thermapen. But only $10 !

Plus i like the clip on case.
                          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                            Wish it was back lit. I have themo pen that has served me well but cant get myself to buy a new one just for the backlight. I pickup one of those cheap headlamps instead.
                            That's why I've stuck with my Maverick PT-100 for so long. The backlight! I've been using the same one without a battery change for several years. And that's with a backlight!

I also like the fact that it's bigger. Easier for old fumble fingers to hold on to. And longer, for when I've got the Vortex fired up and the Weber dome thermo is WAY over 500°F (I've still got MOST of the hair on my forearms ).
                            Yoder YS640, Weber Performer Platinum, Weber OTG, Weber Q220, Traeger BBQ125 Executive
                            ThunderDome Vortex, Smokenator 1000, GrillGrates, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (6" & 12")
                            Weed Dragon Torch with Squeeze Valve (VT2-23SVC), Looftlighter, BernzOmatic High Intensity Torch Head (TS8000)
                            Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100

SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)

Comment

Originally posted by Ozric View Post
                              That's why I've stuck with my Maverick PT-100 for so long. The backlight! I've been using the same one without a battery change for several years. And that's with a backlight!

I also like the fact that it's bigger. Easier for old fumble fingers to hold on to. And longer, for when I've got the Vortex fired up and the Weber dome thermo is WAY over 500°F (I've still got MOST of the hair on my forearms ).
                              That's what I use. I got mine for 49.99 with free shipping. New with full warranty but open stock. Not only back lit but also with large numbers.
                              Weber Smoky Joe
                              18" Weber Silver
                              22.5" Weber Gold
                              22.5" Weber Silver
                              UDS X 2
                              Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
                              Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
                              Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
                              Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
                              Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
                              Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
                              Blackstone three burner flat top
                              5" AMZNPS
                              Vortex x 2
                              Maverick ET 73
                              Maverick ET 732
                              Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
                              Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
                              Pitmaster iQue 110
                              sigpic

Comment

Wow I missed that sale. I would have been tempted to regift mine to my boy for that money and back light.

Comment

Working...
                                X