X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome job Andy!..... Great little helper & I also Love the smoker
    sigpic

Comment

Thank you for the points my good man. I appreciate it.

Its now 2:30 AM here on the patio and the new(er) pieces are coming along nicely, as the CC is going away nicely. Lol

Needless to say, pain is of no concern to myself at this point. Lol

Anyway, I have pictures... just have to wait until the morning to post them... they are a pain in the ass to resize and post on my phone.

Just wanted to give an update and say thanks for the points,

Later,
      Andy
      Current babies:
      -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
      -RichTee's Lang :)
      Former Lineup:
      -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
      -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
      -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
      -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
      BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

good on the ribs but a beginner's lesson for ya.. any meat w/ a net means it's salty injected & fall apart not worth cooking. get a chunk of hide w/ a bone in....
        brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
        18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
        cast iron Hibachi
        22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
        & rotisserator
        12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
        stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
        Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
        http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
        my music recordings-
        http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Originally posted by blues_n_cues View Post
          good on the ribs but a beginner's lesson for ya.. any meat w/ a net means it's salty injected & fall apart not worth cooking. get a chunk of hide w/ a bone in....
          Thanks on the ribs.

Yeah... after I took the net off the "picnic roast", it unveiled its plethola of retarded mangled pieces (sorry... I try to use/spell big words when I'm drunk, and/or tired... right now, I'm both. Lol). Much to my dismay, it was scary to say the least, but I tried shaping it up a bit and just did my usual routine on it. Smoker at 250, foiled at 160-165, and let it sit in the smoker. I should be back out to check on it in an hour or so... rain flushed us inside. Looked good though before the foil. Don't worry, I got pics. Lol. It should be a great lunch...

Later,
          Andy
          Current babies:
          Former Lineup:
          -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)

Comment

well, after reading my post from earlier this morning and trying to understand what I was saying, i'm still a little lost, so if I ever do the "drunken forum" thing again, I appologize in advance. lol

so here's what went down... we came in around 4:30 and the smoker was ticking along, very stable, nice TBS. the rain started, so we came in. well, it was 4:30, my buddy and I hadn't slept since about 7 yesterday morning, so needless to say, we were tired. lol. we went to sleep and my wife woke me up around 8:30. i went out to go check on the meat temps and things didn't go quite as planned... when we went in, the chamber temp was about 225-240, and the brisket was clocking in at 158-160 (i think it was breaking down since the temps would rise, then fall back down again, then rise, then fall, for about 2 hours before we came in). when I went out to check, chamber temp was down to 110-120 and the brisket had fallen to 130. since there was a pretty hearty layer of smoke and seasonings already on the brisket, I wasn't about to use another bag of charcoal to basically re-warm the brisket, so I foiled it and it's now sitting in the oven at 220. when I pulled it off, the forks and temp probe slid in like butta', so i think it should turn out okay, but we'll just have to wait and see.

the pork butt/shoulder/POS ham thing looked and smelled great before I foiled it. sprayed it with some JD and apple juice, then wrapped it and tossed it back on the smoker. this was about 3:15 this morning, so it should be fine and dandy by now I would think. it's sitting on the stove, wrapped in towels right now, resting. that will be our lunch.

now for the pics:

first up, rib pics from dinner... worked out great. everyone loved them and my daughter actually ate her dinner for once.

the elusive TBS... it's hard to see, but I promise, it's there. lol

this is a little off-topic, but my wife seems to think this looks "redneck"... AND she says it like it's a bad thing. lol. she says "redneck", I say "practical". I had a big pile-o-wood on the side of the garage, right where I want/am going to put my new concrete pad for the smoker. I can either go buy a fire pit to burn it all in, get a burn permit from the city after about a week of paperwork, a visit from the fire marshal, and paying $5, or I just pull the woodstove out of the garage and do it in the back yard. cheaper, legal, and is redneck enough to piss off my wife... what could be better? lol

and the pork money shots:

i'm not sure what the yellow spots are on the pork, but as you can see int he first pic, there is nothing on there except yummy goodness. I think it was just the way the lights worked with the camera...

That's all I have for now... i'll be sure to update as things progress this afternoon.

Later,
            Andy
            Current babies:
            Former Lineup:

Comment

Very funny post! lol! Your helper is adorable and good on ya dad, she ate all her dinner! Love your redneck set up, lol! Looking forward to the update, with your yummy reviews.

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

well, the pork is done. not exactly what I would have liked, but still VERY good. great taste/flavor,but not nearly as tender as the last one I did. I think part of the problem is because I tried pulling it at a relatively low temp... around 120-130. I pulled the last one around 180 or so, and it fell apart. plus, this one was a different "kind"... the last one was 10 lbs, it had a bone in it, it had hide on it, and I wasn't drunk off my ass when I was cooking it. lol anyway, here's the pics:

And all plated up. no, I didn't eat all 4... 3 of them are sitting on the counter right now, waiting for me to re-pack them for later. i'll probably take one or two for lunch at work tomorrow. the cheapest buns you can find, a slice-o-cheese, a very small spoonful of home-made sauce and a heaping pile-o-meat. you can't beat it...

homemade sauce? yes... I said homemade sauce. lol. I have a feeling that I will never buy BBQ sauce again, other than for large parties. This stuff is too good... tomato sauce, whorsh. sauce, salt, pepper, chili powder, onion powder, garlic pepper, honey, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and some Weber "Barbeque" seasoning. turned out great. if you taste it on it's own, you get some nice subtle flavors at first, then a touch of heat in the back of your mouth. nothing overpowering at all though. however, if you have it on meat, you hardly know it's there... you can tell there is something different in there, but you can't quite place your finger on it. not thick and heavy like KC Materpiece, for example, but it's also not runny by any means. I think it would work GREAT as a glaze. hell... this stuff would work great as a cocktail. lol...

stay tuned... the brisket should be done soon enough.

Later,
                Andy
                Current babies:
                Former Lineup:

Comment

finally got a chance to sit down and update the thread... the brisket was done just in time for dinner on monday, but the wife wanted to go take the baby to "the Amazing Pizza Machine". for anyone who doesn't know what it is, think of Chucky Cheeze, only more expensive. let's out it this way... my 2 year old daughter walked out of there with a $70 plastic slinky... no, that's not a typo.

BBQ brisket, or mass-produced pizza and overpriced games and rides... yep, we chose the latter.

ANYWAY... here's the aftermath of the brisket. great flavor, pretty damn tender... actually turned out more tender than the pork butt. and now the pics:

cut at 183 F

yeah... it turned out pretty tender. lol

so yeah... all in all, not a bad weekend. right around 20 lbs of meat, most of which will be used over the next couple weeks as left overs. can't wait to do it again sometime soon. lol

Later,
                  Andy
                  Last edited by aczeller; 10-05-2010, 05:56 PM.
                  Current babies:
                  Former Lineup:

Comment

Very nice, it all came out looking pretty darn tasty! Sorry about the Amazing pizza machine.. but I am damn glad we don't have one around here, and thanks for the heads up! You got some great leftover fare though! Great post!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Missed this but wow! Everything looks great! Love the smoker and your daughter is adorable!
                      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                      Pink Thermapen
                      Purple Thermapen

Comment

CA's pick of the pic of the week pic
                        Have some - ' I can take in focus close up shots of food

Plus that's just beautiful looking rib meat.

So where's the pic of the $70 slinky ?
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Not sure how I missed this either, butt wow man, you nailed it!! And nice closeup of the rib meat!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

thanks guys. i don't know how you all missed it either... but i'll let it slide this time. lol.

it was memorial day weekend if I remember correctly, so we'll use that as the excuse of choice. lol

I'm going to be doing another 2 briskets (small ones) and a big picnic roast friday night, so hopefully I can get a couple more pics-of-the-week.

Later,
                            Andy
                            Current babies:
                            Former Lineup:

Comment

Working...
                            X