Hope I'm not in over my head here....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope I'm not in over my head here....

Got a full smoker today. 60 to 70lbs of pork butt and about 45lbs. of beef. I'm not worried about the pork butt I've done them 1000 times. But I'm concerned about the beef. I started with 2 huge beef chuck rolls. About 30lbs each. I had no idea how to cut them up. I just hacked away until I had manageable sized pieces. They are all different sizes so I'm sure they will be getting done at different times. Just going to have to keep a watchful eye I guess.

This is for 100 people next weekend. Plan is to cook pull and freeze today!
    Hope I don't mess this up!!

G Spot BBQ Hittin' The Spot Since 2004

Wow! That's a whole lot of meat! Sounds like you got this under control, just keeping a watchful eye on it and checking temps is all you can do. One thing I like to do when I have several different sizes of meat is keep them in order from smallest to largest so I'll know they will come off in that order. Good luck!!!

Comment

You will be fine! Just a lot of meat to tend to at once, you got this my friend!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Why thank you ladies! Things are chugging along just fine. One side of the smoker with the beef is running about 210 to 220.
        The other side with the pork butt is running about 240. Thought a little less temp on the beef might be a good idea.

So now I'm just sitting in the garage watching the Dirty Dozen and next up is The Longest Day one of my favorite war movies! Keeping a eye on the stick burner at the same time. Getting about time for a bloody Mary I'm thinking!!

Comment

Hope ya got some help when it comes to pullin...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

You are not doing the beef any favors by running it cooler. Go ahead and bring the temps up to the 240 range.

Man that's alot-o-meat!
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Well it was a long smoke! Everything is bagged and in the freezer. Probably start thawing it Friday for rewarming on Saturday. I had 8/9lb pork butts around 70lbs total. They got foiled and put in the cooler about 7 last night.
              I started pulling them about 6 this morning.

Nearly 12 hours in the cooler. I have never gone that long before but this was some of the most moist, tender and flavorful pork I have made yet!

The pork was still nearly too hot to handle even after being in the cooler that long. Here is one of the butts.

This pork nearly pulled itself! Also there was very little waste.

This was the pile of fat and collagen that didn't break down that I pulled out while shredding. I'd say that weighed no more than 4 pounds and I'm a picky shredder. So out of 8 roast and about 70lbs of meat I'd say thats damn good!
              I think that extra time in the cooler made the difference. Usually I go 2 to 3 hours in the cooler.

The beef turned out just as nice but alot more waste. No pics of that as I was doing it at 2am and didn't have the camera handy.

I will have about 100 critics on Saturday so I guess I will find out then if it was worth the effort!!

Comment

No worries, They will like it.
                Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

Nice cook! That pork looks just like mine, I'm a picky puller too!
                  Phil. 4:13
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by 3montes View Post
                    ... and I'm a picky shredder.
                    I am a picky shredder, too! Hope the party went well!
                    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                    Pink Thermapen
                    Purple Thermapen

Comment

Working...