13 pound corned beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 pound corned beef

So last night we go to Cash&Carry for milk. I find corned beef packers for $3.19lb, and walked out with the weekend project.

Never done pastrami before so that is half the plan. I figure the point section will be simmered in water tonight of dinner, and the flat smoked on Sunday.

I scanned through some pastrami treads, and found some folks soak the corned beef in cold water before smoking. Makes sense as hopefully this will pull some of the salt out before the smoke. Soak overnight?

Wadda ya think?

Probably work ok, but from what I've read it's better to swap for new water every so often to get more salt out Waiting on the correct answer as I'd like to do the same thing :)
    Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
    Weber 22.5" WSM
    Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
    Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
    Weber Smokey Joe
    GMG Daniel Boone
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
    6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
    Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
    The Vortex

Comment

I usually just soak overnight...No changing the water here...I have soaked for as little as two hours and it all comes out good...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Going to soak one tonight for tomorrow's action.
        Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
        My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
        @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
          I usually just soak overnight...No changing the water here...I have soaked for as little as two hours and it all comes out good...
          me as well...you sure got a biggun!
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Yeah I never have seen a CB packer...Just points and flats...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

I smoked one straight ootta the package several years ago and I thought it was pretty good as-is if I remember correctly
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                Yeah I never have seen a CB packer...Just points and flats...
                Just flats around here, and small ones to boot... that's one HUGE sumbitch! Yup, I'd definitely soak that beast at least 6-8 hours.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Here's a pic of a full packer corned beef biscuit for those who have never seen such a beauty.

We love corned beef so much, I bailed on the pastrami adventure. Nawed on aboot half over the weekend, and vac packed the remainder. Right now I am corned beef OUT.

Used one of those cheap electric pressure cookers that cook it fork tender in 45 minutes. Now try that with your suzy vid. Just kidding!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X