First Drum smoke. Beer Can Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Drum smoke. Beer Can Chicken

Since the seasoning burn of my uds I have been itching to get it fired up again. So I put on a beer can chicken, some chicken breasts and some abts.

I brined the whole chicken over night in a brine of:
    1/2 gallon water
    1/2 cup kosher salt
    1/4 cup light brown sugar
    2 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp onion powder
    1 TBS whole peppercorns
    1/2 tsp ground sage
    the juice of 3 mandarin oranges. After squeezing juice from oranges I tossed the orange halves in with the brine.

Chicken about to come out of the brine

Poured half of a Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier into an empty soda can and placed the chicken over it. Put some rub on the outside of the bird.

Set up everything on the grill grate on my kettle grill then just placed whole grate onto the drum

About an hour into the smoke. A few bacon wrapped chicken breast behind the whole bird and a bunch of abts in front

Abts are done

Bird is done

I let the bird rest tented with foil about 20 minutes before carving. It was very juicy and very flavorful. The blackberry beer added a nice aroma to the bird. Definately something I will do again. I liked how the citrus flavor of the brine matched up with the sweetness of the blackberry beer flavor.
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Some fine lookin vittles yall whooped up there! Love chicken! Oh, abt's er great too!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
      Since the seasoning burn of my uds I have been itching to get it fired up again. So I put on a beer can chicken, some chicken breasts and some abts.

Poured half of a Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier into an empty soda can and placed the chicken over it. Put some rub on the outside of the bird.

citrus flavor of the brine matched up with the sweetness of the blackberry beer flavor.

Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier -- I have to remember that. Pics looked real nice. Beer can yard bird is a big favorite around here and my boys and their friends can really put the ABT's away. Best not mention the Sam Adams around them or let them see it. Otherwise won't be any for the chicken.
      sigpic

Comment

Heck man that brine solution and the beer sound really good. The abts, the bird came out fantastic looking. Great smoke!
        Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
        Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

NICE looking bird

but, if its a DRUM smoke, why is it, standing there in the open? No lid?

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

That's a great looking bird!!!! I bet that brine and Sam Adams was really tasty...gonna have to give that a try...

Comment

Good looking bird.

The ABTs look pretty good as well.

Dave
              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
              -
              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                NICE looking bird

but, if its a DRUM smoke, why is it, standing there in the open? No lid?
                I use a kettle grill lid and just moved the lid off to check the abt's and had my wife snap a pic.

On edit: WD, here is a pic of how it spent its time in the drum
                Last edited by wutang; 05-12-2009, 08:13 AM. Reason: added a pic
                KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
                  Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier -- I have to remember that.
                  It came in a Sam Adams Summer Variety pack. I haven't seen it by itself.
                  KCBS/CBJ #56408

Comment

Great lookin smoke wutang....ya makin me hungry again man!!
                    Gene

sigpic

The Farm...
                    http://gardenofeatn-rhf.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
                      It came in a Sam Adams Summer Variety pack. I haven't seen it by itself.
                      OK the variety pack, I can do that too.
                      sigpic

Comment

Awesome looking yardbird, and the ABT's just make me drool!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Right by me!......Just a fine job!
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

what a great q-view..that byrd looks suculient..
                            sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                            nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Haven't done chix in a while, you're inspiring me! Great looking post!!
                              Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
                              Weber Performer
                              Weber 22.5" OTG
                              Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
                              Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
                              Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
                              BBQ Food Truck

Comment

Working...
                              X