Rotisserie Chicken Thighs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotisserie Chicken Thighs

Now I'm not trying to rub it in or anything but MAN it was a beautiful day in Northern California today.

The Taylor tells the story of the temp this afternoon.

But, alas, there is rain in the forecast for tomorow and the weekend so I figured if I wanted to smoke/cook something, I'd better do it today.

Picked up some chicken thighs at Safeway on the way home . . .

Forgot the muffin pans (well not really) so I decided to do them on the rotisserie. Used just a simple dusting of Kosher salt, black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.

Here they are seasoned and ready to go.

I pulled the skins off since no one here really likes it, or at least should eat it, and it certainly isn't necessary to keep them moist.

I fired up the drum with a mix of Kingsford Comp and Cowboy Lump and in a short time, we were all ready to go. Here are the thighs all nestled in the basket.

It was a pretty tight fit. There were 15 of them. And here they are in the rotiss and ready to go.

Drum wanted to cruise at 250° (as measured by the temp probe on the bottom rack) which would be great except I was wanting 325°. Finally it climbed up into the 300s and we were off to the races.

After about an hour

I started brushing them with a little Sweet Baby Ray's and by then the drum was idling at 350° which was fine with me since I was trying to get a little more of the fat cooked out.

After about an hour and 45 minutes they were done.

And here they are in the dish waiting to be plated.

They were pretty darn good and PLENTY moist and juicy. I think next time I'll coax the drum up to 325° or so before I even put them on and let it finish out upwards of 375°. Got a couple of ziplocs of yummy left overs and all in all not a bad afternoon.

Thanks for looking.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Your welcome for looking....I like it....Been known to do thighs in the 400s...

That is a favorite round here Dave....

Comment

Nice chicken Dave! And what a beautiful day, for sure, up north. It was warmer there than it was here. I sure could go for some 'o that chicken.
      Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
      Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Not a thigh fan, but those look damn good Dave. I like that rotis. May have to look into one, one day.

Tom

Comment

Love Thighs................ AND Chicken Thighs too!.... Those look Killer! ..... And for an awesome Rotis Thigh Cook.... We were only about 15 degrees behind you.... SPRING IS HERE (Insert crossed fingers here) .
          Last edited by Fishawn; 02-18-2010, 10:52 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

love the drumissory.......nice job!
            sigpic
            it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Ain't a thigh man....but I would try them! I do like that machine!
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                Ain't a thigh man....but I would try them! I do like that machine!
                I like it all... l'm a leg, thigh, and breast man! Hmmm, that sounds a bit preverted...

Looks great Dave!

BTW, where did you get the rotiss attachment?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I really like the looks of those chick thighs. BTW, when did you get your yard so green? Mine is a tan color with patches of white.
                  sigpic
                  Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Great looking Chicken Thighs DDave and great looking weather too. Must be nice to go outside in a t-shirt in February...
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    KCBS CBJ

Comment

The chicken looks great. But more than the food you really have got me plotting on a rotisserie for the UDS. I have been thinking about building another drum for a little while and I think I might have to build it specifically with the rotisserie in mind.
                      KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Thanks for all the nice comments, folks.

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                        Been known to do thighs in the 400s...
                        Yeah I think higher heat would have been good. Plus the rack where I was measuring the temp is probably a good 12" below the center of the rotis basket. With the charcoal basket on the bottom of the drum, it puts the meat almost 3 feet from the fire using the rotisserie. I could put the charcoal basket on the middle rack or just leave it in the bottom and let 'er rip.

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                        We were only about 15 degrees behind you.... SPRING IS HERE (Insert crossed fingers here) .
                        LOL, fingers crossed is right. I don't know how it is up where you are but here we usually get a week or two of spring followed by some more winter than a 5 day fast transition to SUMMER.

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                        BTW, where did you get the rotiss attachment?
                        It is an EZ-Que. http://www.ezqueinc.com/kettlering.htm

I got it with the 6" cradle from a guy off of Craigslist. I've heard a lot of rumblings on different forums about the EZ-Que folks not returning emails and having some sort of issues. Some folks are having some luck finding them on ebay.

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                        BTW, when did you get your yard so green? Mine is a tan color with patches of white.
                        It's Tall Fescue. It stays green all year long. Which makes it a little tricky to mow when you get periods of rain, sun, rain, sun, rain, sun like we have had lately. And my BIL's company comes by every other month and fertilizes and sprays broadleaf weed control on it. I just water and mow it.

Originally posted by Zeeker View Post
                        Must be nice to go outside in a t-shirt in February...
                        It is . . . but we'll pay for that in the summer.

Originally posted by wutang View Post
                        The chicken looks great. But more than the food you really have got me plotting on a rotisserie for the UDS. I have been thinking about building another drum for a little while and I think I might have to build it specifically with the rotisserie in mind.
                        The ring is pretty cool but I imagine if you used a Weber lid, you could just notch out the drum to hold the spit rod then fab a bracket for the motor and you'd be good to go.

Dave
                        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                        -
                        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Nice chicken, Dave. Love the rotisserie!!
                          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                          Weber Smokey Joe
                          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                          Pink Thermapen
                          Purple Thermapen

Comment

Greatr I love thighs
                            sigpic

Comment

Awsome looking chicken dave.I just bought the ring and a rotisserary for my webbers and am waiting to get the ribolater for it that basket looks pretty cool to going to have to check on thatone .very point worthy
                              2-22.5'' weber
                              1-18'' weber
                              1 smokey joe
                              22.5'' wsm
                              24'' smoke vault
                              1-outhouse
                              Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                              Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Working...
                              X