Mt Morris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lcruzen View Post
    So does this indicate a lack of CBJ's in this area or did the event not do a real good job of recruiting? Who do they get to judge when short CBJ's? Just any Joe Blow off the street?

See what happens? I visit for a few hours and I want to dissect the whole process. Maybe judging is in my future.
    The GLBBA is working hard on getting a judging class on our side of the state. I'll keep you updated. Otherwise, haul your azz to Silverlake for the class and a GREAT time!

Comment

Originally posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
      The GLBBA is working hard on getting a judging class on our side of the state. I'll keep you updated. Otherwise, haul your azz to Silverlake for the class and a GREAT time!
      You gonna be there Not planning on it, but good reason to "Mix" things up a bit............
      sigpic

Comment

Rich, Dan: What happened to the '3 Men & a Butt' name? You all getting some 5's in Pork seems to me a result of lower CBJ percentage.

Lou: Definitely much higher percentage of certified judges down here in Okie land? Just more folks into it really, more classes, more comps, etc) I have judged one comp and was table captain at another and both had 90+% CBJ. I can see lower CBJ% making it much tougher to deal with as a competitor.

Having said that, I believe the process of making it truly 'blind' is just outstanding but having judges all evaluate to a standard (see KCBS.org for how they determine this) equally is tough to get done I think. The contest reps down here are just outstanding.
        Glen
        Large Vertical & 3 UDS (Illini drum by Bubba before he went big-time)
        KCBS CBJ
        Blue Thermopen
        Profile:
        http://www.coltecconsulting.com

Comment

Actually Glen, I think Our pork was the worse box of the four. I think our chix was lacking a firmer skin and a more symetric size to each other,I liked our ribs taste, but the racks were smallish and the bones were laid out kinda funny.The brisket was overcooked by about 30-45 minutes, but the Burnt Ends were excellent and made the difference, and the pork was overcooked,and not nearly as much taste as I usually have, and I think I messed up on the injection somewhere.

Best part is we had fun and learned alot.....again!

we get better every time and thats a good thing. Rich is a great partner, and everytime we cook together so far,we have brought home a ribbon or two.Geoff was an awesome addition to the team, and I look forward to cooking with them both again next year when my health is better.
          Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Which do you guys think tis tougher to cook for, non CJBs or a bunch of freshly graduated CBJs.

I'm always leery of a comp where they just did a judging class with a big turn out.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokyOkie View Post
              Which do you guys think tis tougher to cook for, non CJBs or a bunch of freshly graduated CBJs.

I'm always leery of a comp where they just did a judging class with a big turn out.
              Interesting thought...heh!

I worry about non-trained. I mean WTF do they know about BBQ? I mean it COULD happen- but chances are it's just some local yahoo personality they picked. And in podunk Michigan... that's bad news.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Yeah, but how much can a judge really learn in a 4 hour class?

I have seen several in the judges tents that are kinda like they think they are experts now, but they really don't know very much more than they did before, hence, they are dangerous.

All the judges have to listen to the same tape that they play at the judges classes, so really everyone has the opportunity to learn how to judge.

With IBCA, they just pick nothing but regular folks to judge, and they just judge according to how much they like the food. Your guess is as good aas mine as to which way is better.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokyOkie View Post
                  Yeah, but how much can a judge really learn in a 4 hour class?
                  Valid point. Soo..like ya say which is better? Maybe if the judges posted a profile of their likes... and WE got to read it...ALL teams... and then adjust to them...THAT might be interesting.
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
                    I called the guy, Jeff I think, and got some info but I can't do the Thrusday thing. But we are going to be in Manistee for the weekend and will probably drive down Saturday for another comp visit. If you do get a class set up for this area I want to sign up for it.
                    sigpic

GOSM/propane
                    UDS (Cam)/lump
                    22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                    Weber Genesis/propane
                    Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                      Right proud for ya'll!....Rich....that hat is you man!
                      I still have that hat. Sorry..rabbit hole got me here :D

Comment

Working...
                      X