Eggnog Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eggnog Recipe

I have been making this stuff for years since I saw Alton Brown's recipe. I have tried the commercial stuff and it definitely sux. It tastes like syrup. Nasty!

This stuff is pretty good. It has a great consistency and has some good body to it from the whipped egg whites. I guess you could use pasteurized eggs if you are concerned about raw eggs.

Ingredients

• 4 egg yolks
    • 1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
    • 1 pint whole milk
    • 1 cup heavy cream
    • 3 ounces bourbon or to taste
    • 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    • 4 egg whites*

Directions for uncooked

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color.

Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved.

Add the milk, cream, bourbon and nutmeg and stir to combine.

Place the egg whites in a separate bowl of mixer and beat to soft peaks.

With the mixer still running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.

Whisk the egg whites into the mixture.

Chill and serve.

If you don't want to drink raw eggs, here is a cooked version

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color.

Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, over high heat, combine the milk, heavy cream and nutmeg and bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally.

Remove from the heat and gradually temper the hot mixture into the egg and sugar mixture.

Then return everything to the pot and cook until the mixture reaches 160 degrees F.

Remove from the heat, stir in the bourbon, pour into a medium mixing bowl, and set in the refrigerator to chill.

In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks.

With the mixer running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.

Whisk the egg whites into the chilled mixture.

I love eggnog...thank you for your recipe. I'm totally making some of this for the weekend.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

You will like it. It is rich and creamy and I usually go a little heavy on the bourbon. I used Bulleit in my last batch.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post

I guess you could use pasteurized eggs if you are concerned about raw eggs.
        Those with a sous vide setup... 135 for 75 mins pasteurizes eggs in their shell :{)
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

thanks for the recipe!
          sigpic

Comment

Gave some of this a go...good stuff! This will be my standard eggnog recipe from now on. (Note: Photos hosted on Amazon prime photos...it is so easy).

I doubled the recipe with a quart of milk and a pint of cream. I also used three different whiskeys that I thought would play nicely together.

Mixing it up...Fresh nutmeg is incredible.

Stiff peaks on the whites...

It was so good that I had to break out the Clark Griswold Christmas Vacation Moose mugs.
            BBQ Eng.

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Nice job! This stuff is so easy to make you will never go back to the carton crap. It holds up nicely over time. I drank mine over a week's period and it was as good or better on the last day as it was on the first day.

Comment

Alton Brown also has an aged eggnog recipe that is similar. He says it is best after a few weeks or even months.

Ingredients

• 12 large eggs (pasteurized if you need peace of mind)
                • 1 pound sugar
                • 1 pint half-n-half
                • 1 pint whole milk
                • 1 pint heavy cream
                • 1 cup Jamaican rum
                • 1 cup cognac
                • 1 cup bourbon
                • 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (plus more for serving)
                • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Instructions

Separate the eggs and store the whites for another purpose.

Beat the yolks with the sugar and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl until the mixture lightens in color and falls off the whisk in a solid "ribbon."

Combine dairy, booze and salt in a second bowl or pitcher and then slowly beat into the egg mixture.

Move to a large glass jar (or a couple of smaller ones) and store in the fridge for a minimum of 2 weeks. A month would be better, and two better still. In fact, there's nothing that says you couldn't age it a year, but I've just never been able to wait that long. (And yes, you can also drink it right away.)

Serve in mugs or cups topped with a little extra nutmeg grated right on top.

Comment

I made the other stuff yesterday with SV pasteurized eggs. Delicious, altho I would like a little more “body” to it. I’ll play with that. Mighta been the whites..not wanting to whip up well. Hmm. Regardless..yes! Worth the effort!
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                    It was so good that I had to break out the Clark Griswold Christmas Vacation Moose mugs.

Nice job NogDaddy
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, if you get the whites to stiff peaks then mix into the rest it gives it a lot of body. In fact the whites will rise to the top as it sits for a while. I keep it in a jug and shake it up before serving.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        I made the other stuff yesterday with SV pasteurized eggs. Delicious, altho I would like a little more “body” to it. I’ll play with that. Mighta been the whites..not wanting to whip up well. Hmm. Regardless..yes! Worth the effort!
                        If you get stiff peaks, it does give a lot of body...I also have a jug in the fridge that I can shake up. I also think this would be an excellent homemade ice cream base.

I read in researching egg pasteurization that if you SV eggs, it makes whipping them to stiff peaks a little more challenging. It is a little more difficult, but a known issue that you can overcome.
                        Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 01-01-2017, 06:47 PM.
                        BBQ Eng.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                          If you get stiff peaks, it does give a lot of body...I also have a jug in the fridge that I can shake up. I also think this would be an excellent homemade ice cream base.

I read in researching egg pasteurization that if you SV eggs, it makes whipping them to stiff peaks a little more challenging. It is a little more difficult, but a known issue that you can overcome.
                          now ya got me jacked up with the ice cream gig... then Louie said...how bout a pound cake! aight...my max gross takeoff weight! no Natty's for you!
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
                            Alton Brown also has an aged eggnog recipe that is similar. He says it is best after a few weeks or even months.
                            I was tempted to try the aged 'nog recipe this year, but as usual life got in the way. Maybe next year. If you try it definitely let us know how it is.
                            Mike
                            Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                              then Louie said...how bout a pound cake! :
                              Oooo... Louie...I think you should do that deal.. Mmm

Comment

Working...
                              X