Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSG & Phosphates ?

Some guys say it's all in your head.

I read where an interpreter told some tourists in China he asked the cooks to remove the MSG when he really didn't. He said they had no ill effects from the MSG.

Who knows.

http://www.businessinsider.com/msg-a...t-exist-2013-8
    Last edited by Bama BBQ; 11-14-2013, 08:08 PM.
    ~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~ Dwain

Comment

The scientific evidence on msg as of 2010.
      sigpic
      Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
      -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
      -AMNPS
      -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
      gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

What science says about phosphates 1

What science says about phosphates 2
        sigpic
        Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
        -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
        -AMNPS
        -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
        gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

I won't assault bacon..but it's "record" is far worse.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Michael
            Schenker
            Group

http://youtu.be/obyz6zj-8mw

Never hear any of Phosphates stuff
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              I avoid both personally. I consider it a plus the Mad Hunky rub does not contain either.
              Major reason right behind taste why I purchase MH.

Comment

never had a problem with msg........don't use it.....but never had a problem with it.
                sigpic
                it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                  In talking with one of my chef instructors he said he doesn't have a problem with a home cook using MSG (accent), but he has a problem with a chef using it because a chef should know how to achieve the umami profile because he/she is trained to do so. Do not take short cuts basically. So I asked him why the hell there was a giant bottle of liquid smoke in one of the kitchens. He said one of the other instructors bought it. He is no longer employed there. One of my favorite chefs is Heston Blumenthal and he basically says the same as my chef. There are ways to get it naturally. Here's another article about the amounts found in tomatoes and parmesan cheese.

http://blog.khymos.org/2007/07/06/gl...-and-parmesan/

I recently made a beef/mushroom stock and used it to make a vegetable soup that had a lot of tomatoes and while it was simmering I added in some parm rinds that I saved. The flavor was just amazing. So yea, MSG might not be harmful, and I don't really mind eating it, but if you are using it in your rubs and sauces then it's because you are taking short cuts, most likely trying to save a buck. That's understandable, but with the folks out there reading the labels and not willing to buy your product because it's in there is something to consider.
                  Thanks Little Furry One. Hope your making the grade. Of course you are, you have passion for food. Your input is fantastic.

For a home small amount cook who loves to sample and critique his own Yummies, this line says it all from your 'Quote".

Do not take short cuts basically.

Comment

One of my favorite chefs is Heston Blumenthal and he basically says the same as my chef. There are ways to get it naturally.
                    Well liquid smoke is got naturally. The modern stuff is smoke residue filtered and cleaned to the point that it's a helluva lot purer and less carcinogenic than the stuff that adheres to our food in the smoker.

Heston - while a good chef, is the most gimmicky guy around. If he can extract, distill, or centrifuge something out of a food - he'll generally do it in preference to using the food itself.

And he definitely uses liquid smoke
                    Probably makes it in his food lab - but he'll use that everytime over actually smoking something.

Msg I have no problem with - got some, tried ita couple of times, don't use it.
                    One of the best substitutes you can use in a rub or recipe is dried powdered mushroom.

You need a dehydrator and spice grinder. Just buy the big boxes of cheap budget mushrooms - the ones with the open caps that are a couple days old and have developed decent flavour.

Slice them to about quarter of an inch, run the dehydrator at around 100-110 over night. Then grind the dried mushrooms the following day and store in an airtight pot.

Actually makes things way more savoury than msg

Phosphates - I'm not a fan of. I know they're extremely common and widely used in the comercial food industry and don't seem to have to be declared on food labels.
                    I'm just not happy about ingesting them.
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Just a little anecdotal stuff. We have a good friend that is actually allergic to MSG. We took a week end trip with her and her husband about a year ago. She is really cautious about it, to the point that everywhere we ate she went to the kitchen and had a chat with the cooks. If you start perusing your food labels you are going to find that it is in just about any prepared food you buy. I jokingly said to her "I guess you stay away from Panda Express, huh?" She says that is one of the places that she doesn't have to worry about. Chinese food has such a bad rap about high concentrations of MSG that these guys are very conscientious about NOT using it. Go figure.
                      A few of my favorite things:
                      Good Whiskey
                      Good Food
                      Bad Girls
                      sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                      Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by Snarlingiron View Post
                        Just a little anecdotal stuff. We have a good friend that is actually allergic to MSG. We took a week end trip with her and her husband about a year ago. She is really cautious about it, to the point that everywhere we ate she went to the kitchen and had a chat with the cooks. If you start perusing your food labels you are going to find that it is in just about any prepared food you buy. I jokingly said to her "I guess you stay away from Panda Express, huh?" She says that is one of the places that she doesn't have to worry about. Chinese food has such a bad rap about high concentrations of MSG that these guys are very conscientious about NOT using it. Go figure.
                        Yeah..one can be allergic to anything... While MSG is a naturally occuring substance, so is LSD. Both are concentrated and refined from natural sources anyway. I see no need to use it when one does the research and homework and can bring it's qualities in without the derived substance.
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          Yeah..one can be allergic to anything... While MSG is a naturally occurring substance,
                          So is poison ivy.

Butt like Mr Snarlington, An ex girlfriend had issues with it. triggered massive migraines, hives and ...digestive...issues. She also had issues with wheat germ, might be related.
                          Mark
                          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

[QUOTE=Mark R;460191]So is poison ivy.
                            So there we go...if I look at pizin ivy, i'm a done deal! I don't give a gators a$$! MSG ain't right for me gutz! Me daughter is a retired chef & cannot tolerate it...Natty Up!
                            Sunset Eagle Aviation
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

[QUOTE=Slanted88;460406]
                              Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                              So is poison ivy.
                              So there we go...if I look at pizin ivy, i'm a done deal! I don't give a gators a$$! MSG ain't right for me gutz! Me daughter is a retired chef & cannot tolerate it...Natty Up!
                              Got both yer...err...backs, Mike

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                                Well liquid smoke is got naturally. The modern stuff is smoke residue filtered and cleaned to the point that it's a helluva lot purer and less carcinogenic than the stuff that adheres to our food in the smoker.

Heston - while a good chef, is the most gimmicky guy around. If he can extract, distill, or centrifuge something out of a food - he'll generally do it in preference to using the food itself.

And he definitely uses liquid smoke
                                Probably makes it in his food lab - but he'll use that everytime over actually smoking something.

Msg I have no problem with - got some, tried ita couple of times, don't use it.
                                One of the best substitutes you can use in a rub or recipe is dried powdered mushroom.

You need a dehydrator and spice grinder. Just buy the big boxes of cheap budget mushrooms - the ones with the open caps that are a couple days old and have developed decent flavour.

Slice them to about quarter of an inch, run the dehydrator at around 100-110 over night. Then grind the dried mushrooms the following day and store in an airtight pot.

Actually makes things way more savoury than msg

Phosphates - I'm not a fan of. I know they're extremely common and widely used in the comercial food industry and don't seem to have to be declared on food labels.
                                I'm just not happy about ingesting them.
                                I gotta disagree about Heston. I do not think he is "gimicky" at all. He's a curious soul and is passionate about food. That's why I love the guy. Yea, he's no Harold McGee by any stretch, but personally, I have learned so much from him.

On the liquid smoke, Ummm, while it may be "got naturally" it still has an off putting taste to me when used instead of actually smoking meat. I'm guessing there is some science behind that as well. That also goes back to what I said originally about using MSG instead of creating the umami flavor. Liquid smoke is right up there with MSG to me. Yea, I can use it, but I know better.

I do agree with the mushrooms adding umami to a dish. I recently made a beef/mushroom stock and made a vegetable/beef soup with it. It was absolutely delicious. Everybody that tasted it commented on the broth.

Comment

Working...
                                X