Calling KCBS Judges..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bbally View Post
    Barbeque does not have sauce on it! Sauce is to cover up barbeque that is not any good!
    I'll agree with that statement. Kinda like out dated meat at the store and they cover it up with some off the wall marinade
    Last edited by Mikey; 02-28-2011, 03:01 PM. Reason: typo
    sigpic
    New Braunfels Bandera
    New Braunfels Hondo
    4-22.5" Weber Kettles
    1-26" Weber Kettle
    24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
    Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

This won't help solve the problem but it may help understand "taste". Just something I have been reading up on lately.

WHAT IS A SUPERTASTER?

A supertaster is a person who experiences the sense of taste with far greater intensity than average. Women are more likely to be supertasters,[1] as are Asians and Africans.[1] Among individuals of European descent, it is estimated that about 25% of the population are supertasters.[citation needed] The cause of this heightened response is currently unknown, although it is thought to be, at least in part, due to an increased number of fungiform papillae.[2] The evolutionary advantage to supertasting is unclear. In some environments, heightened taste response, particularly to bitterness, would represent an important advantage in avoiding potentially toxic plant alkaloids. However, in other environments, increased response to bitter may have limited the range of palatable foods. In a modern, energy-rich environment, supertasting may be cardioprotective, due to decreased liking and intake of fat. It may be a cause of picky eating, but picky eaters are not necessarily supertasters, and vice versa.

The term originates with experimental psychologist Linda Bartoshuk who has spent much of her career studying genetic variation in taste perception. In the early 1990s, Bartoshuk and her colleagues noticed some individuals tested in the laboratory seemed to have an elevated taste response and took to calling them supertasters.[3] This increased taste response is not the result of response bias or a scaling artifact, but appears to have an anatomical/biological basis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=127914467
      "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

Originally posted by bbally View Post
        Barbeque does not have sauce on it! Sauce is to cover up barbeque that is not any good!
        Originally posted by Mikey View Post
        I'll agree with that statement. Kinda like shitty meat at the store and they cover it up with some off the wall marinade
        I agree 100%....Unfortunately KCBS is all we have here...Sauce is part of our success,but hardly the main factor....I have had these conversations with my sister bout this and we would prefer the Texas style comps etc...No garnish or sauces and judge the meat....

We are doing a cool comp in april called naked bbq....Nothing but wood or charcoal smokers...No gurus or stokers and only a instant read thermometer thats not in the meat all the time...No electronics etc..aka Naked BBQ

Hoping this style thing takes off....
        Last edited by ALX; 02-28-2011, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
          We are doing a cool comp in april called naked bbq....Nothing but wood or charcoal smokers...No gurus or stokers and only a instant read thermometer thats not in the meat all the time...No electronics etc..aka Naked BBQ
          Funny requested this from KCBS three years ago. I had asked about using my gas Southern Pride in the competitions. They said no gas, I asked why, as they let pellets in, which is the same thing from a programming stand point, so I asked about a pit master division where it is wood or briquettes only.

Did not get into the rules.

Where is yours Alex?
          Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Heres the link BOB....

http://www.gonakedbbq.com/

real cool he is keeping it at 24 teams...KCBS judging and judges....Its only ribs and chicken plus peoples choice in wings...

Some real good teams and i am sure folk will be discussing some sorta new formats etc........Be very nice to get these style things big enough to have nice payouts etc...This isnt bad for 100 dollar entry fee

Comment

If your cooking KCBS you better sauce....Not sure mandatory,but never heard folk not saucing.Brisket only categorie i know of some folk dont sauce..I believe ICBA(texas area) they dont sauce....

Some do here and some do not..

These are the rules they go by in Texas..

JUDGING CRITERIA FOR MEATS
              Aroma: In your opinion does it smell like Barbeque.

Appearance/Color: Does each meat look like Barbeque and does it have eye appeal. A good example of this is the smoke ring in brisket, the pinkish tone of chicken and the redness of pork.

Texture - Is the meat moist and is it cooked just right.

Taste - This is a personal preference but should consider how is the smoke taste, the spice taste, and the overall palate appeal of the meat and spice combination.

Overall - The final criteria, what is the overall effect of the barbecue, your total impression
              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Wow..you guys depend alot on the nebulous term Barbeque.
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  Wow..you guys depend alot on the nebulous term Barbeque.

Well, we tend to go a little overboard...

By reading the rules, you would think that they are looking for no sauce due to it not mentioned on the taste... Smoke, Spice, and Meat & Spice combination...
                  Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                    Some do here and some do not..

These are the rules they go by in Texas..
                    Now, I could live with that... interesting...

How are judges defined/trained?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

ALX, I like that naked BBQ concept. I think that would level the playing field big time. I would like it to be that way with a 4 meat contest. Imagine the looks on some of them folks' face after being up all night. hehehe

Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
                        ALX, I like that naked BBQ concept. I think that would level the playing field big time. I would like it to be that way with a 4 meat contest. Imagine the looks on some of them folks' face after being up all night. hehehe

Yes sir captain....Hope it takes off eventually....IMHO the KCBS could use some shaking up a little..Pellet poopers,FEC etc.Freaking satelite teams to pile up TOY points etc.The MBA is only other thing near here and they only come as far north as DC once a year....

Really hoping this Naked takes off...Seems more in spirit of BBQ and being first time i think organizer didnt want to do all 4 categories etc...The response has been outstanding though from folks in our region...Just nice see something different and compete against some good teams as well

Comment

Really hoping this Naked takes off...Seems more in spirit of BBQ and being first time i think organizer didnt want to do all 4 categories etc...The response has been outstanding though from folks in our region...Just nice see something different and compete against some good teams as well
                          Alex, is there a set of rules on this nakedbbq? I would be willing to turn Smokin in the Rockies into a NakedBBQ event.

The whole pitmaster thing is why I started it to begin with... I wanted the gathering to grow into a wood and briquette pitmaster competition, no electrics at all.
                          Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

This is what we are going by....

http://www.gonakedbbq.com/html/f_a_q_.html

First time event,but i think he has done good job....As always..some things will prolly get tweaked....

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
                              I think that would level the playing field big time. I would like it to be that way with a 4 meat contest.
                              To say the KCBS is not a level playing field is not correct IMO. I do think the enforce their rules correctly across the board. They are always helpful and have good events.

I personally am not upset with KCBS, I just understand now that what they teach a judge is good barbeque is not the great barbeque style I cook.

I commend those that have worked on their game under the KCBS rules and become successful at that game. I think those teams work hard and deserve credit for their hardwork and dedication.

I am just saying after three contests and seeing the results I now know their judge training on what is good, is not compatible with the type of barbeque I have been selling successfully for 17 years now.

I just don't want it to seem like those winning teams are not good... they are and they have hit the profile of what is good in KCBS judge eyes perfectly.... that is great.... I just cannot change a barbeque style for a few contests a year.... to fool with a business model that has been so successful for 17 years would be fool hardy.

So please understand my deal is ok if this is what you judge as great... let me find a place that judges on what I believe... if you sauce it, it is generally cause you cannot cook barbeque. At least that is what I was taught... rub, smoke, meat quality....... sauce only if you dry it out or over char it.

I like the naked thing, sounds like it might be fun

Love those Texas rules....
                              Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

I'm kinda liking the concept myself, Bob. Go Meat!
                                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                                X