Vista Comp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scarbelly View Post
    Thanks for the offer but Rando and I have been working on getting together for a bit and I am really looking forward to cooking - If I can get the MH back Fri we will throw something into the smoker while we are at the comp for sure

I will PM you my cell in case you need something -
    We will see you then on Sat! we are looking fwd to it! I figure after 1 pm... I am gonna need a cold beverage... incognito tho I hear we must be stealth with KCBS rules! I can't wait to meet some more of my family!!!
    Thank you all for the well wishes. Pix will sure follow!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Good Luck ... Take that walk ...

Comment

Well we went to the Vista Comp yesterday and got to meet Ryan and Kelly and their families and Whisky Fish and RandoCammando and his wife. Kelly got some pics of all of us in front of their space

What great folks they are - We tried to convince them to stop by for some paella and some libation on their way out ( they drove right past us ) but they were too tired

Randy and his wife did come over and we had a great afternoon and evening cookin and sharing some stories

Looking forward to more times with the whole group
        Scarbelly

Comment

http://www.cbbqa.org/forum/index.php...ndpost&p=60246

Slap Yo Daddy-Grand Champion
          Rhythm-n-Que-Reserve Champion
          sigpic
          New Braunfels Bandera
          New Braunfels Hondo
          4-22.5" Weber Kettles
          1-26" Weber Kettle
          24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
          Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

It was a awesome event, The wife and I enjoyed it very much talking to everyone and hanging out. Thanks to the 2 irish fools team for some excellent Q and the goodies, well rounded bunch those fools

And to Gary and Kathy for welcoming us over, it was a blast cant wait to do it again. Some of the best people you would ever want to meet right there

AND THE PAELLA ROCKED definalty making that again

Comment

Results are in!
              http://kcbs.us/events.php?year=2010&month=7&id=2295

sigpic
              New Braunfels Bandera
              New Braunfels Hondo
              4-22.5" Weber Kettles
              1-26" Weber Kettle
              24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
              Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

I will have the pics and the run down of the event soon. Currently uploading using my steam powered internet service. Between unpacking and work...whew! Just doesn't seem to be enough time in a day anymore.
                Meeting Kathy, Gary,Randy, Jt and the others was a blast! I look back and wish there was more time to spend that day with y'all. Thank you all for the great support! We look forward to future get togethers.
                Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

wow those scores are low (I know I know but someone's got to mention it).

I mean 43rd overall - that ain't right !
                  Guess you're just cooking over the judges heads

Sounds like you all had a good time though - so that's some consolation :-)
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

What a great trip. Well worth the 7 hour drive. Kelly and Ryan are the best ever. Gary and Randy as well as their wives are fantastic people and I hope to see them all again soon.
                    As for the results, , ,how do you spell the "stick out your tounge and make the fart sound" ?
                    My buddy Jim and I went around and tasted the competitions stuff and compared it to 2IFs. I'm telling you, no friggin way that they didn't place MUCH higher than that. I was proud of everything they put out and I hope they are too.
                    All and all it was a great time with great people and every time I get the chance, I'll go cheer them on again. (The burnt ends were the best ever)
                    Can't wait for next season.

Great Job Kelly and Ryan!
                    JT

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                      What a great trip. Well worth the 7 hour drive. Kelly and Ryan are the best ever. Gary and Randy as well as their wives are fantastic people and I hope to see them all again soon.
                      As for the results, , ,how do you spell the "stick out your tounge and make the fart sound" ?
                      My buddy Jim and I went around and tasted the competitions stuff and compared it to 2IFs. I'm telling you, no friggin way that they didn't place MUCH higher than that. I was proud of everything they put out and I hope they are too.
                      All and all it was a great time with great people and every time I get the chance, I'll go cheer them on again. (The burnt ends were the best ever)
                      Can't wait for next season.

Great Job Kelly and Ryan!
                      We also tasted a lot of the competiton and I agree that the judges must have been asleep cause the other stuff I tasted did not hold a candle to the 2IF team
                      Scarbelly

Comment

sounds like a good time was had by all.............and that's what it is all about!
                        sigpic
                        it's all good my friend..........

Comment

The Saturday gang and our forum friends. JT, Randy, Kathy, Gary, myself, Kelly and my wife Billie in the back behind the table.

Friday gang, just a few of our weekend help.

T.I.F. BBQ sample table set up.

The RF smoker made the 240 mile round trip trek. No probs! Thanks be to God.

Red oak and olive wood sponsoring our weekend smoke

starting wood stacked at 5:30 pm. Looking for a 2 hour plus pre burn, before putting any meats on.

fire started before 6 pm Friday.

RF smoking away with all that starting wood smoke. Couple of KCBS judges making rounds Friday,in the background.

One of three briskets being preped. Ranchers Reserve supplied 2 briskys to us, of the 15 lb nature.

Brisket injection.

One of 2 butts being injected

and then rubbed

'nother brisky being rubbed

6 racks 'o spares cut St Louis style

mopping the butts.

Two Irish Fools

A few looks along the way.

36 chicken thighs

de-boned, trimmed rubbed and reassembled. This rear cabinet area is ideal for cooking chicken at higher temps, while the main grates are in use at lower temps.

JT and myself picking the best of the lot for our chicken turn in.

Thighs are done.

The 2 briskets we had on were done a might early. This is one of them. Would have to end up holding in a cooler too long. Rubbed and prepped our third and hit it hot and fast, for our turn in.

Burnt ends getting its rub before going in the smoker again. We ended up cutting both points for burnt ends. These are soooo friggin awesome, if I do say so myself! They were also a hit with the crowd.

Line up at the T.I.F. BBQ sample stand.

A look at one of our 4 turn in boxes.

Chicken turn in box.12:00 pm

Tried so damn hard to get pics of them all and did not get the rib box. 12:30 pm

Pork turn in box. 1:00 pm

Brisket turn in box. 1:30 pm

A walk around the event...

Rhythm and Que: Reserve Champion

Slap Yo Daddy :Grand Champion

We felt that we were very focused at this event. We felt much differently about our turn ins than the way they turned out. Not so much our overall score, as to chicken was by far our strong point,IMHO. The ribs I was very unhappy with, Yet the scores reflected the opposite. Had big difficulty cutting the ribs. Bones were curving in the rack. The lose one to get one cutting method became a pain in the ass. Pork, we felt great about our flavor profile, just not sure about presentation. Brisket was hot and fast and had no visible smoke ring. Tender and tasty. Felt well about it too. Everything turned in on time. Note came with our score sheet...Brisket was dry and tough...WTF??
                          I am eating it for left overs. If it is going to dry out and get tough, now is the time. We came, we did, although we did not conquer, we had a hell of a great time meeting up with our friends of the forum, among others. All of you were very helpful and very supportive. JT a big fat thanks to you buddy for all your help and advice my friend. This will not be our last KCBS event. We look forward to getting out there again, soon. For those wanting to compete, but are reluctant to make the leap. LEAP. You will meet many people much like yourselves. If you like your que, the judges may too!
                          Thank you all for the support and for checking out our comp thread.
                          Happy smokes!!

Oh sheeesh! on edit: A big thanks and a big hug to my very soon to be 16 year old, Killian, for all the photography. Thanks son!
                          Last edited by Uncle-Honky; 08-03-2010, 09:38 PM.
                          Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                          Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Ryan
                            You are too hard on yourself - we were there and tasted the competition and it was not that good - Thanks for posting the pics and cant wait to get all of ya here for some grub and libation
                            Scarbelly

Comment

Ribbons are nice, but friendships are worth a ton more than any trophy!

As long as the fun factor is in there,your team will always be top ten.As far as the scores, take a judging class, or a BBQ class even.Maybe even a mentor at the event. The KCBS program does offer mentors for newbies.

Great thread and very cool pics brother.
                              Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Glad all had a great time. All the best from up here...
                                ---------------------------------------------------
                                I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                                ---------------------------------------------------
                                KCBS CBJ

Comment

Working...
                                X