This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThunderDome View Post
    Are you gonna paint, or leave it textured like that? I like the weathered look on that one
    I was planning on painting. I don't want the rust to get too carried away. Maybe I could wirewheel the worst of the rust off and get some random colors and let my 10 year old daughter have at it. She's the one responsible for the off-hand splotch to the left of the thermo on the yellow one. My SnP has a matching splotch.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
      I was planning on painting. I don't want the rust to get too carried away. Maybe I could wirewheel the worst of the rust off and get some random colors and let my 10 year old daughter have at it. She's the one responsible for the off-hand splotch to the left of the thermo on the yellow one. My SnP has a matching splotch.

Dave
      Oh KOOL!!! You got your own li'l splotch monkey, I say let her have at it!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Got the woodstove gasket put around the ring to help the Weber lid fit on better.

Wire wheeled the rim just a bit to clean it up.

Put on the gasket cement. It was setting up pretty fast so I didn't take a pic until I put the gasket on.

And the lid.

Fits much better now with the rope gasket in there.

I figure I'll let it dry in the sun for awhile then light some charcoal to cure it.

Dave
        Last edited by DDave; 09-09-2017, 05:35 PM.
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        -

Comment

Got a 7 pound Mad Hunky rubbed pork butt on the drum now for a seasoning run. The thing had the thickest fat cap I have ever seen.

Going fat cap down with no deflector and no foil for maximum fat vaporization to coat the inside of the drum. It's reminding me of why I prefer the deflector in the first place. Temp in the drum crept up to the 260s and awhile after I put the butt on at 5:30 am, it finally came down to the 240s.

It's back up to 270° now and the butt is at 172°, Lots of whitish smoke coming out of the vents. No visible flames but I'm sure if I removed the lid and let the fan run for a bit I'd probably have flames shooting out the top of the drum.

The inside should be good and seasoned by the time the butt hits 195°.

Dave
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          -

Comment

Got a 7 pound Mad Hunky rubbed pork butt on the drum now for a seasoning run. The thing had the thickest fat cap I have ever seen.

Going fat cap down with no deflector and no foil for maximum fat vaporization to coat the inside of the drum. It's reminding me of why I prefer the deflector in the first place. Temp in the drum crept up to the 260s and awhile after I put the butt on at 5:30 am, it finally came down to the 240s.

It's back up to 270° now and the butt is at 172°, Lots of whitish smoke coming out of the vents. No visible flames but I'm sure if I removed the lid and let the fan run for a bit I'd probably have flames shooting out the top of the drum.

The inside should be good and seasoned by the time the butt hits 195°.

Dave
            Sounds like you got it under control, till you lift that lid! Careful.
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Great thread Dave. I've been back to this so many times to re-read. Youdaman!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                Sounds like you got it under control, till you lift that lid! Careful.
                Boy, you got that right!!

Here's how it went down . . . the Taylor started beeping when the butt hit 195° so I grab the trusty Thermapen to check for a second opinion. It's 193° to 198° in certain spots and probe goes in nice and easy. Took awhile for the smoke to clear and I did not have proper gloves on so I put the lid back on and went inside to put on some heavy gloves.

Went back out, lifted the lid, and removed the temp probe. Tried to pick up the butt but it would not release from the grate. Tried pushing it along the grate and it started to fall apart. At this point, the charcoal basket erupted in flames. I put the lid back on to let them die down. Checked the dial thermo and it was on 100°. WTF?? The pointer had wrapped past the 500° mark and was sitting on 100°. Closed the vents on the Weber and the temp quickly dropped. I managed to fish the thermocouple alligator clips out of the probe hole.

Took the lid off again and tried to lift the grate out. M%therf%^&&n' thing hung up on a bolt. (Why do I put the rack on the bottom bolts when I am only using one rack??) More flames, lid goes on again.

One more time . . . I grab hunks of meat off the grate and put them on the foil. The bone falls out. I grab it and throw it into the yard. (Tina thought that was VERY cool. ) I finally get the m%therf%^&&n' grate out as the flames appear again and put the lid back on.

So . . . the cook part was kind of a disaster although there is a good portion of pork waiting to be pulled in the foil.

The seasoning part was a rousing success I am sure as there was LOTS of fat to vaporize.

As an aside, here is the graph from the datalogger.

The Auber does a much better job of controlling the temp when the deflector is in but there was a pretty solid chunk of time where it was controlling things nicely even without the deflector. About 10:30 or so there was quite a temp drop, fan kicked and it overshot and stayed high. I was burning lump with chunks of pecan mixed in but since the deflector was not in place, I'm still pretty happy with this graph.

Still got a couple of minor things to do to this drum to complete the set. I need another ash pan, bolt for the thermo and that's about it. I'm not real happy with the way the lid fits. I might take the round rope gasket off and replace it with the flat rope but other than than that, it's coming along.

Dave
                Last edited by DDave; 09-09-2017, 05:36 PM.
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                -

Comment

Wow Dave, been gone so long I didnt know you had a new addition! congrats! I say you let Holly paint that baby! I cant wait to hear how this smoke goes, one day when I grow up I will have a UDS too! Give my best to Ann and the kidos! xox from the So Cal! Great thread Dave thanks for sharing.

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                    I say you let Holly paint that baby!
                    That's the plan. I'll take the hardware off, wirewheel it to bare metal, tape it off and primer it and then it becomes Holly's blank canvas.

Dave
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    -

Comment

Here's what I was able to salvage.

And pulled.

Not the best pulled pork I have ever done but not the worst thing I have ever pulled off of a smoker either.

Not bad for a sacrificial fat vaporizing smoke. Kind of reinforces why I foil and use the deflector though.
                      Last edited by DDave; 09-09-2017, 05:37 PM.
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      -

Comment

Good Lord . . . I didn't think I was EVER going to find a Weber lid for this drum. Got a message at work from Mrs. DDave today that there was a present for me in the laundry room.

Got home after work and saw this.

She'd been asking around for months and finally scored one.

Here are all the smokers cozied up on the patio. I try to keep them out of the rain.

I'll have to put another vent on it like my other one. (I think it burns cleaner that way. )

As an after thought I asked Mrs. DDave if the rest of the kettle was available. Thought maybe I'd pick up a whole kettle for some kettle cookin'.

She said the people she got the lid from use the kettle bottom to burn their trash.

I guess I'll stick to grilling on the UDS in "grill mode".

Dave
                        Last edited by DDave; 09-09-2017, 05:38 PM.
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        -

Comment

She said the people she got the lid from use the kettle bottom to burn their trash.
                          Heh... well... maybe it's better that way Dave... considering. Just sayin'.
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                            Heh... well... maybe it's better that way Dave... considering. Just sayin'.
                            Yeah. I'm thinking maybe hitting the inside of the lid with a wire brush and maybe another seasoning burn in the UDS with the lid on might not be a bad idea.

Who knows what the lid might have been used for.

Dave
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            -

Comment

Who knows what the lid might have been used for.
                              well one would need the lid for melting down the cans for an alum block to bring to the scrap yard I think?
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                                well one would need the lid for melting down the cans for an alum block to bring to the scrap yard I think?
                                They must have used it for something. Hit it with a Scotchbrite pad and some black crap was flaking off that wasn't part of the original finish.

Glad I discovered that before I cooked some food under it.

Dave
                                UDS 1.0
                                Afterburner
                                Weber Performer
                                Blue Thermapen
                                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                                Auber Smoker Controller
                                -

Comment

Working...
                                X