New UDS temp problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New UDS temp problem

I just finished my first UDS. I’m having a problem getting the temp over 200. I filled the basket with charcoal and lit 20 briquets, waited till they were ashed over and dumped them in. I used 1” pipe and ball valves, one on each side of the barrel. Can someone please tell me what I need to do to make this temperature come up more.

There’s only 1 reason that could be an issue. One. Air. Pop a .75 hole in between yer pipes and try it out. Use the pipes to “tune” the temps.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I was never a fan of the “long pipe” but rather a “control shaft” to operate the valve down at actual intake level. That air column is very restrictive.
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I don't think you are netting enough air. I have 3 1" holes with short nipples on them and only have one ball valve, you only need one. I have no trouble getting it to 375 for chicken or turkey. The long pipes are also restricting air flow. I think shorter pipes and a third intake will help a lot.

Comment

Upon contemplation just remove one of those plugs at the base and try it out...

Comment

Originally posted by rollinsmoke View Post
            Can someone please tell me what I need to do to make this temperature come up more.
            Get rid of the risers and put the valves on bottom inlets.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            I was never a fan of the “long pipe” but rather a “control shaft” to operate the valve down at actual intake level. That air column is very restrictive.
            What he said. ^^

The risers are very close to the drum and are likely heating up. Hot air rises but in this configuration the air has to travel down the riser before it can enter the drum. That's not going to work real well with a natural draft.

Now if you had a blower on one of the risers that would work but that's an entire different discussion.
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post

The risers are very close to the drum and are likely heating up. Hot air rises but in this configuration the air has to travel down the riser before it can enter the drum. That's not going to work real well with a natural draft.

Now if you had a blower on one of the risers that would work but that's an entire different discussion.
              I was thinking the very same thing.

First - I have 3 - 1" ball valves on "Ugly UDS" and normally run with one or two wide open the third is used for control. S.W. Oh. smoker stated the same thing.

Second - if you insist on the extended intakes you need sweep 90°s. Air does not like to make hard 90° turns. As far as that goes most fluids don't like to make hard 90° turns.

Third - Next is what size are your exhaust holes. I run "Ugly UDS" with both the bung plugs pulled. Unless those are 1" hole under that exhaust vent damper you also need more exhaust.

Forth - Last but not least order a good thermometer. Just my humble opinion the one you have is good but not better or the best.

Like everyone else it appears you are lacking in the free area required on both the supply and exhaust air sides to achieve the desired temperature.

Good luck and best wishes. Keep us posted I would like to see the improvements.
              Last edited by crusty ol salt; 12-23-2017, 09:11 AM.
              Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                3 - Next is what size are your exhaust holes. i run "Ugly UDS with both the bung plugs pulled. Unless those are 1" hole under that exhaust vent damper you also need more exhaust.
                Good catch, Marcus. I missed that.
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                  Good catch, Marcus. I missed that.
                  I hope rollinsmoke takes this as constructive criticism. We are just trying to help out and not pick at his build. I always worry about that.

sigpic

Comment

I hope rollinsmoke takes this as constructive criticism. We are just trying to help out and not pick at his build. I always worry about that.
                    Marcus, some sage advice has been offered by a group of experts that have made them work all in an attempt to assist a new member. As is the case most of the time, there is no substitute for experience from people that have gone there before and hopefully it the advice if considered as expert opinion.

If I was doing a build and ran into trouble I'd come to the same group of experts. He'll get that rig dialed in and be posting some great smokes in no time. it is a good looking build.

Merry Christmas Padre
                    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                      Marcus, some sage advice has been offered by a group of experts that have made them work all in an attempt to assist a new member. As is the case most of the time, there is no substitute for experience from people that have gone there before and hopefully it the advice if considered as expert opinion.

If I was doing a build and ran into trouble I'd come to the same group of experts. He'll get that rig dialed in and be posting some great smokes in no time. it is a good looking build.

Merry Christmas Padre
                      Merry Christmas to you my friend.

sigpic

Comment

Indeed.

It's a good looking UDS and will cook some good grub with a couple of minor tweaks.
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        -

Comment

Thank you guys for all the info!! I always come to this group for answers. Thanks for the compliments on the UDS. Those are 4, 1” holes for the exhaust. I was thinking of pulling that bung plug but that thing is fighting me big time. Gonna have to take a chisel and work it out that way. I think I’m going to just pull those risers off and put the ball valves on the nipples. Is there a thermometer you all would recommend? I’m also wondering if it’s not reading accurately because it’s on the side. Thanks again for all the advise!

Hope you all have a wonderful
                          Christmas!
                          Merry Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If ya warm up the body of the T with a torch a bit the plug should come out easier.

Merry Christmas!

Comment

Is there a thermometer you all would recommend?
                              Here's what I have on mine.

https://www.amazon.com/Tel-Tru-BQ300...bq+thermometer

This will help with reading the temp at the center of the grate.

https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic...ry+thermometer

I’m also wondering if it’s not reading accurately because it’s on the side.
                              Yes there will be a 25° to 50° difference from center to edge depending on if the drum is fully warmed up yet if you are not using any sort of deflector.

Good luck and keep us posted.
                              UDS 1.0
                              Afterburner
                              Weber Performer
                              Blue Thermapen
                              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                              Auber Smoker Controller
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X