Jalapeno Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jalapeno Bacon

A vendor gave us a pound and was really good. I picked up a 5 lb. belly and want to give it a go. I have cure #1 and if I remember correctly it's 1 tsp. per 5 lbs. Not sure how to incorporate the jalapeno though. I also want to add in some coriander. Any ideas?

So I think I will go with a brine. For 1 gallon of water I should use 1 Tbsp. cure #1, gonna finely chop a few jalapenos, don't want a lot of sugar, maybe maple syrup? How much additional salt should I add?

Comment

This is my go to brine for bacon:

pops-wet-curing-brine

for every 1 gallon of water, add:

1/3 - 1 cup sea salt (depending if you're on a lo-salt diet)

1 cup granulated sugar or Splenda[emoji768]

1 cup brown sugar or Splenda[emoji768] brown sugar mix

1 tbsp cure no. 1 pink salt

stir thoroughly until clear amber color, pour over meat, inject if necessary to cure from inside-out as well as outside-in

weight down with a partially filled 1 qt or 1 gal. ziploc bag or bags to keep meat immersed

Curing times vary with meat, but generally overnight to 2-3 days for chickens and turkeys, 8-10 days buckboard bacon, 10-14 days belly bacon, pork shoulder, whole butts, 3-4 weeks whole hams, 10-20 days corned beef (fresh beef roasts, briskets, rolled rib roasts, etc.) **If whole muscle is more than 2" thick, then inject so it can cure i/o as well as o/i, and/or in and around bone structures, etc.

You can add any other flavorings you'd like, this is just the basic curing brine. 1 heaping tablespoon of cure is about 1 ounce. *The maximum concentration allowed safely is 3.84 ounces per 1 gallon of brine (24 lbs.per 100 gallons: 16 oz. x 24 = 384 ounces, 1/100th is 3.84 ounces). *You can experiment with different concentrations as long as you keep it between those parameters:

Comment

I have no experience with bacon but if you need some pepper powders let me know...I have fire roasted Jalapeno and fire roasted Hatch peppers if that fits in in any way...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TKOBBQ View Post
          This is my go to brine for bacon:

pops-wet-curing-brine

for every 1 gallon of water, add:

1/3 - 1 cup sea salt (depending if you're on a lo-salt diet)

1 cup granulated sugar or Splenda[emoji768]

1 cup brown sugar or Splenda[emoji768] brown sugar mix

1 tbsp cure no. 1 pink salt

stir thoroughly until clear amber color, pour over meat, inject if necessary to cure from inside-out as well as outside-in

weight down with a partially filled 1 qt or 1 gal. ziploc bag or bags to keep meat immersed

Curing times vary with meat, but generally overnight to 2-3 days for chickens and turkeys, 8-10 days buckboard bacon, 10-14 days belly bacon, pork shoulder, whole butts, 3-4 weeks whole hams, 10-20 days corned beef (fresh beef roasts, briskets, rolled rib roasts, etc.) **If whole muscle is more than 2" thick, then inject so it can cure i/o as well as o/i, and/or in and around bone structures, etc.

You can add any other flavorings you'd like, this is just the basic curing brine. 1 heaping tablespoon of cure is about 1 ounce. *The maximum concentration allowed safely is 3.84 ounces per 1 gallon of brine (24 lbs.per 100 gallons: 16 oz. x 24 = 384 ounces, 1/100th is 3.84 ounces). *You can experiment with different concentrations as long as you keep it between those parameters:
          Thank you sir! This is very close to what I did. I used

1 gal water
          1 heaping Tbsp. or 1 oz. #1 curing salt
          1 cup maple syrup
          1/2 cup salt
          1 cup sliced fresh jalapenos

gonna let it go 14 days mainly because that timeframe is good for me.

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
          I have no experience with bacon but if you need some pepper powders let me know...I have fire roasted Jalapeno and fire roasted Hatch peppers if that fits in in any way...
          That sounds like it would work well wth a dry cure. wanna trade some for some of my pork skins uncooked?

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post

That sounds like it would work well wth a dry cure. wanna trade some for some of my pork skins uncooked?
            No need for a trade...PM me your address...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

it has been my experience to put way more chili than ya think in the cure..........however a dusting of of some powder before the smoke just might do the trick.
              sigpic
              it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                it has been my experience to put way more chili than ya think in the cure..........however a dusting of of some powder before the smoke just might do the trick.
                That is a fantastic idea! Gonna do it if it doesn’t have enough heat. Thanks my friend!

Comment

I cure and smoke our own bacon, plus bacon for friends. Usually do over a 100 pounds a month. I've settled on a ground chipotle powder that we'll liberally dust over both sides of the finished bacon before vacuum sealing it. Everyone loves it that has tasted it.
                  7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
                  Weber EX6 Smokefire
                  Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
                  90 Qt LOCO Crawfish Cooker
                  Everything else burned up in my house fire

Comment

Another idea..add some phos to the cure.

You have the Nekkid... a couple Tbsp in a quart, cut back slightly on the sugar/salt in the brine and I bet that helps flavor penetration alot...
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I have no experience in making bacon from scratch. However, we recently tried some Hatch Green Chili Bacon from our butcher this fall. It was Excellent on its own. However, using the bacon in combination with other things like a simple BLT, the pepper gets lost.

So, depending on what you want to use it for, and as others have said, you may want to ramp up the heat

Just throwing that out there.
                      Pete
                      Large BGE
                      Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Well the belly is in the brine so we shall see 👀 in a couple weeks. Time to move on to bigger things, literally. 😂 I have a brisket that's screaming to be pastramified.

Comment

love a good pastrami!
                          sigpic
                          it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Some great ideas in here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X