NY Garbage Plate / Hot Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY Garbage Plate / Hot Plate

I forgot about posting this one for some reason. If anyone ever has the chance to try a Garbage Plate or Hot Plate from Upstate NY it's something to behold. For anyone that doesn't know here is some quick background from Wiki:

A Garbage Plate, according to a 2010 archive of the restaurant's official website, starts "with a base of any combination of home fries, macaroni salad, baked beans, or french fries topped by your choice of meats and dressed to your liking with spicy mustard, chopped onions, and our signature Nick Tahou's hot sauce. Each plate comes with two thick slices of fresh italian bread and butter."[3] Another site wrote that Tahou "concocted his original combo plate with two hamburger patties and a choice of two sides — usually some combination of home fries, macaroni salad, and beans. The contents are often laced heavily with ketchup and hot sauce, and mixed together before eating. Rolls or white bread are served on the side."[2] Health.com named the Garbage Plate the fattiest food in the state of New York.[4]

The real secret is the meat sauce that you spread over everything. Looks like taco sauce. Some family friends sent me a large packet of the dried sauce mixture and I mixed this up with 1 lb of burger. I wouldn't say this would be an authentic recipe since I used a hashbrown patty instead of home fries or french fries but it was good and tasted pretty authentic to me. I topped mine with a hamburger patty but you can also top them with hot dogs. The meat sauce was hot as heck!

The Sauce

Attached Files
    Last edited by Uncle Sauce; 10-18-2017, 01:37 PM.
    ~ George Burns

sigpic

That sounds good to me, do you have a picture of the season packet by chance?
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Sounds good and looks even better!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
        That sounds good to me, do you have a picture of the season packet by chance?
        Sorry Bark I don't - It was just a ziploc baggie. I think they hand made it. I see a few recipes online for the meat sauce. I know the version I got was darn hot!
        Here is a base recipe I found online at Allrecipes that may help:

Recipe By:Mrs. Jones
        "Meat sauce with a wonderful blend of spices to pour over your choice of meat, macaroni salad, or home fries. A Rochester, New York original and a must-have. Add diced onions, ketchup, and mustard if desired."

Ingredients
        1/2 pound ground beef
        1 1/4 cups water
        1 tablespoon white vinegar
        1/2 teaspoon paprika
        1/2 teaspoon black pepper
        1/4 teaspoon chili powder
        1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/4 teaspoon salt
        1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
        1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
        1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
        1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
        1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
        Directions
        Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and stir in the ground beef. Cook and stir until the beef is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and discard any excess grease.
        Transfer the cooked beef to a blender and blend until the meat is finely minced. Bring the minced beef, water, vinegar, paprika, black pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt, allspice, cloves, cumin, thyme, and cinnamon to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat; cook for at least 30 minutes, adding water as needed to keep the mixture moist and gravy-like.
        ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
          Sounds good and looks even better!
          Thanks Hawg!
          ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Thanks that sounds kinda like "Cincinnati chili"... with a bit more heat!!
            Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
            Yoder YS640
            Weber Genesis
            Weber 18.5" Kettle
            Weber Performer
            Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Looks Mighty Tasty from The Bear Den!!

I'd Eat It !!

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I have never heard of this so called NY Garbage Plate...Intriguing.
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

New one for me also, but I think I'm on board.

Will give it a go one of these days. Looks like good football grub, especially after a few

Great post, something new to the table.

Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                  My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                  @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
                    Thanks that sounds kinda like "Cincinnati chili"... with a bit more heat!!
                    Bark - i had never heard of "Cincinnati chili" but I looked it up on Wiki and it actually had a Similar Dish section and it pointed back to Rochester Hot Sauce - It does look very similar!

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                    I have never heard of this so called NY Garbage Plate...Intriguing.
                    TH - I had never heard of it until I was around the area for awhile. It's just the cure after a late night of drinking

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
                    New one for me also, but I think I'm on board.

Will give it a go one of these days. Looks like good football grub, especially after a few

Great post, something new to the table.

Thanks Smokin - It would be good for football: Super easy to make and you can offer burgers or hot dogs for the meat section + the hotter you make it the beers go down quicker
                    ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Funny.
                      Around here my family three generations of veterans still refer it to "shit on a shingle" (older than me wartime phrase. my shit came in foil packs) because there was rarely pasta but always bread. Still one my best hot meals ever. Thanks for the post. brought back many memories.
                      sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Sounds/looks good! I make what we call "hash" a lot, a bit different of course and not spicy, butt typically leftover smoked/grilled meat and veggies, potatoes of some sort, beans at times, eggs, cheese, anything in the fridge, etc. smothered in cheese. Keeps you going all day

There was a local diner when I was in college that used to make a "garbage omlet" that I think probably had a similar meat sauce to yours, then you add what you wanted. Great stuff!
                        sigpic

Comment

Sounds like it would make good camp food!
                          Mark
                          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
                            Funny.
                            Around here my family three generations of veterans still refer it to "shit on a shingle" (older than me wartime phrase. my shit came in foil packs) because there was rarely pasta but always bread. Still one my best hot meals ever. Thanks for the post. brought back many memories.
                            I have eaten a lot of SOS myself. My dad actually had two different SOS recipes: a breakfast SOS with sausage and a dinner SOS with hamburger!

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                            Sounds/looks good! I make what we call "hash" a lot, a bit different of course and not spicy, butt typically leftover smoked/grilled meat and veggies, potatoes of some sort, beans at times, eggs, cheese, anything in the fridge, etc. smothered in cheese. Keeps you going all day

There was a local diner when I was in college that used to make a "garbage omlet" that I think probably had a similar meat sauce to yours, then you add what you wanted. Great stuff!
                            Thanks Fish - It's amazing all the different recipes and jargon and how they were changed by family, region, city, surplus food, etc.

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                            Sounds like it would make good camp food!
                            Hey, if your camp is like mine and the booze flows freely then this would be perfect!
                            ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Look's great. I have one every time I go to Rochester, pretty hard to finish in one sitting.
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              KCBS CBJ

Comment

Working...
                              X