• Show
Clear All

• Bread - Livin Yeast

Here be some hillbilly bread recipes yall might like ta try:

Livin Yeast

1 potato about the size of a large hen egg
    2 Tbs sugar
    flour to make a stiff batter

Peel the potato an boil until done in unsalted water. Drain, savin the water, an mash. Add sugar an 3/4 cup a the potato water, an enough flour ( a bit at a time) to make a fair stiff batter. Place in a quart, wide-mouthed mason jar, cover with foil (don't seal tight) an keep in a warm place ta ferment, shouldn't take much of a week. Ifin ya be in a hurry add a package a yeast to it.

Makin the Bread

Set the sponge when preparin the evening meal fer warm bread at noon the next day: set the sponge in early mornin fer warm bread at the evenin meal.

To set the sponge, place all of the above yeast mixins in a large bowl. Add 2 cups warm milk er unsalted potato water, 1 Tbls sugar, an 1 1/2 cups flour er enough flour a bit at a time ta make a stiff batter, beatin in well as yall add. Cover bowl with oiled paper an let stand until mornin, or until nice an bubbly if settin the sponge in mornin.

Before proceedin ta make the bread, take out of this bubbley sponge-mixture a good, 5 heapin Tablespoons a the sponge an place in the ice box, coverin the jar with foil. This is your yeast fer the next batch. All a this will then be placed in the mixin bowl, the sponge set the same as directed above; then, when nice an bubbly, another heapin 5 Tbls of the sponge will be taken out an stored fer the next time an so on an so forth. At any time in the future, the spnge fail ta become bubbly, throw it away an start over fresh.

To what is left in the mixin bowl of the sponge, (or ta the 5 heapin Tbls of yeast, with which yall will start each time from then on) add:
    2 C milk er unsalted potato water, warmed
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp sugar
    1 Tbls shortenin
    flour enough ta make a dough you can handle, addin gradually, an workin it in well after each addition.

Turn out on a floured board an knead, then place in a greased bowl an let stand ta rise ta double in size in a warm place - it should rise in bout 1 1/2 hours.

Punch down, then an shape inta two small loaves er one medium loaf an a pan a rolls. Loaves should fill pans but half way. Place in greased pans, let rise to double in size in a warm place, an bake in a moderate oven. Bake at 350* bout 45 minutes er until golden brown an the bread has pulled back from the sides a the pan. Turn out at once an butter sides an tops.

Then eat!
    sigpic

Nice post tip, The potato water also helps to keep the bread fresher longer. I am making a sour dough loaf right now. I cheated and mixed in a mason jar last saturday 1 1/2 cup each flour and water, then added 1/2 tsp. yeast. Let it set at room temp and let it rise, till it collapsed and into the frige. I have since made a sponge for sourdough pancakes and held back 1/4 cup to refresh the starter with another 1 cup each flour/water. So tonight is an experiment and keep notes loaf of bread. I thought it was ready to bake an hour ago but it is a slow riser so it should be real good. I'll take a pick of it when done.
    Last edited by SmokinLee; 02-05-2009, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Sounds great lee! Ain't nothin like fresh baked bread!
      sigpic

Comment

Ain't never tried it, so I think I will! Been do some DO bread lately the lazy way. Thanks!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

bump

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Working...
          X