Grilled Leeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grilled Leeks

I have never thought about anything to do with leeks besides putting them in my own clam chowder recipe. However, I ran across a recipe for grilled leeks and let me just say, if you like artichokes, vinegar and/or bacon, these are delicious and make a great side dish. This is the first time I have tried this and they are excellent. My wife loved them as did I and said, "we need to do these the next time we have guests over."

Anyway, here's the recipe and a shot from last night. I didn't expect these to be so good so I didn't do my normal pic walk through.

Ingredients
    • 4 large leeks, dark green sections removed
    • 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
    • Heavy pinch kosher salt
    • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    • Crumbled bacon and goat cheese, as an accompaniment, optional

Directions

Preheat grill to high (I actually used 400). Cut each leek in half lengthwise and rinse thoroughly to remove all dirt and sand. Pat dry. Brush the cut side of each leek half with the bacon drippings and sprinkle with kosher salt. Grill over direct, high heat, cut side down, with lid closed, approximately 6 to 7 minutes or until grill marks appear. Remove the leeks to a sheet of aluminum foil and lay cut side up. Brush the leeks with balsamic vinegar. Reassemble the leek halves together, wrap tightly in foil, and set back on the grill away from direct heat for 10 to 12 minutes.
    Remove the leeks from the foil and serve immediately, as is or with crumbled bacon and goat cheese.

I used a jalapeno goat cheese and maple bacon as that was what we had on hand. Next time, I'll do these over charcoal and either apple or cherry wood.

Now, back to painting :ballchain: and someday, I'll get back to the smoker
    Last edited by Abelman; 03-09-2009, 03:12 PM.
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

That looks great. Definately something I would try. Nice pic.
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Dang sure looks good! I'll get this on my do gig!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Wow that looks good!!
        Just might hafta try em
        Gene

sigpic

The Farm...
        http://gardenofeatn-rhf.blogspot.com/

Comment

not sure that I've ever eaten a leek. But you making me want to. Gotta give this one a try for sure. Something I'm sure my wife will like. Hell looks like I will to.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
            . However, I ran across a recipe for grilled leeks and let me just say, if you like artichokes, vinegar and/or bacon, these are delicious and make a great side dish.
            Mmmm I love all of the above. Never heard tell of a grilled leek...but it's on the list now!
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

never had a 'choke or a leek. What does a leek taste like. I thought i have heard they also taste like a onion type taste?

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                never had a 'choke or a leek. What does a leek taste like. I thought i have heard they also taste like a onion type taste?
                Yeah, I would describe a leek as kind of like a sweet onion without an onion taste per say. Maybe more like a sweeter scallion/green onion, it's just a large version of a green onion as far as looking at it.

Have to remember on this, it's a whole host of tastes. If you like onions, bacon and vinegar, you'd be good to go I would think. Honestly, I've never had anyting like this so it's hard to compare it to anything.
                Pete
                Large BGE

Comment

Wow, I can't wait to try these Pete!! I'm a leek lover. lol
                  I've smoked leeks before, but your recipe looks over the top... Thanks!
                  jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

My pleasure Jeanie, nice to give you something to try vs the other way around

Let me know how it goes, I think you'll really like them, I know we did.
                    Pete
                    Large BGE

Comment

Abelman,

Just thought I'd let ya know. I'm doing these tonight. Was at the store for a few things and saw Leeks. Was a sign I tell ya. Anyways, wife and I are following your recipe except I goofed didn't have any balsamic vinegar, and of the vinegars I had on hand think the red wine vinegar is closest.

pics on this later. but thanks again for a great idea. I gave one a taste test try after washing them. YUM can think of lots of ideas for these.

Comment

Working...
                      X