Smoked blooming onion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L20A View Post
    Always use flour before egg wash. It is the flour that makes it all stick.I promise.
    Not how Outback does it. But it wouldn't hurt.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I didn't get around to doing it again today, too much other stuff going on. I'll give it a whirl again later this week.
      sigpic

Comment

I like the concept. Go without the oil next time but have foil ready in case the onion starts to get too dark and foil it after it has been in the smoke for awhile. Low temps here I would think, say 200 to 225.

Most deep frying is done dry, wet dry. When you think your onion has been in the smoker long enough to absorb some good smoke flavor take it out and let it cool. Set up a dredging station with 3 bowls. First one has seasoned flour. Roll the onion in the flour and get it coated well and some inside the bloom.
        Next into the eggwash and then finally into your dry bread crumbs. I would suggest using Panko crumbs.

Dump it into your deep fryer at 350 perhaps? Just might work. Also maybe don't cut so close to the bottom of the onion. When things soften up there isn't enough to hold the thing together. Cut maybe 3/4 of the way down it leaving a inch or more to hold it together. Just might work
        G Spot BBQ Hittin' The Spot Since 2004

Comment

Great effort my friend
          Maybe flour, batter it and chill it before it goes in the oil.
          Dunno, keep us posted

Comment

Another thing you might try. Cut the onion same as you did, dunk in in boiling water for a second then dunk it in ice water (with ice in it). Will make the onion spread out without cookin it too much. Then smoke.......
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
            X