Smoked blooming onion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked blooming onion

Taking cue from a post I saw on another forum on an internet far, far away, I decided to fulfill my craving for these suckers again. The original version was just smoked and cut apart to be eaten as is, but I plan to take this to the next level and making a blooming onion out of it when it's done smoking.

Leveled the tops and bottoms, sliced in to eighths almost to the bottom, then stuffed it with garlic slices, a dash of basil, and filled it up with Zip Sauce and olive oil. It's in the MES now with some other goodies using mesquite wood chips. These come out great on their own but I gotta imaging they taste even better battered and deep-fried. We'll see as the night goes on and beers get drank. :-)

sigpic

Outta be good! Kinda like erin's stuffed smoked onions only sliced so they "bloom". Good idea, I like it. Maybe outta put a loose foil wrap around them to keep the melting goodies in. Lookin for it!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Helluva idea.
      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Lest I forget, this post brought to you by the fine Terrapin Brewery in Athens, GA.
        sigpic

Comment

Finished pics? letting me down on the wings too? What up

Comment

The onion fell apart in the fryer. It was an epic mess! Here's is the last good pic of it before it went to hell, fresh out of the smoker. Not sure what went wrong, but the batter didn't stick to it at all and I just dumped the whole thing in the trash. Back to the drawing board!

sigpic

Comment

Not sure why the batter did not stick.. ... At least you tried.. Better to try and fail than not try at all..
              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Too much time in smoker Grue? Soften onion too much?... I like the idea though.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                  Not sure why the batter did not stick.. ... At least you tried.. Better to try and fail than not try at all..
                  Chances are it was the olive oil that was used prior to going in the smoker
                  sigpic
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  New Braunfels Hondo
                  4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                  1-26" Weber Kettle
                  24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                  Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Did ya flour it before putting the batter on? I think you need the flour to get it to stick. I have found when frying fish if I don't flour it the breading will come off very easily when cooking & flipping the pieces.
                    MES 30"
                    A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                    Weber 22" kettle
                    E-Z-Que rotisserie
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    Big Weber Gasser
                    Cracker Smoker
                    UDS

Comment

Darn, I was looking for a happy ending! many good theory's as to why the batter didn't stick..... thanks for posting we always are growing with every pass or fail

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

I used Drake's Crispy Frymix on it. The mix stuck to it really well before going in the fryer, but once it hit the grease it was done. I concur, the olive oil might have played a part in that. Going to try again today since I'm smoking some ribs and cheese anyways.
                        sigpic

Comment

no EVOO?, I love that your giving it a go again today! get on it cat daddy!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

I think ya have to use an egg wash before the "batter" to get it to stick.
                            Mark
                            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                              I think ya have to use an egg wash before the "batter" to get it to stick.

Always use flour before egg wash. It is the flour that makes it all stick.I promise.
                              MES 30"
                              A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                              Weber 22" kettle
                              E-Z-Que rotisserie
                              Weber Smokey Joe
                              Big Weber Gasser
                              Cracker Smoker
                              UDS

Comment

Working...
                              X