Meat Mixer Review w/Tons of Pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meat Mixer Review w/Tons of Pics.

I bought a meat mixer off of eBay a week or so ago. I've always had my daughters hand mix large batches or I've used the KitchenAid mixer for 5 lb or smaller batches. But my girl's complain about their poor little weeny hands getting cold. So I decided that if I could get a 17 lb meat mixer for under 100 bucks shipped, I'd jump on it. Well opportunity knocked, I answered and now you get my opinion rather you want it or not.
    I've had the opportunity to look over different brand names and they're all the same. They're all made by the same company in China and the only difference is that the L.E.M. has their label on it, the Weston Brand has their label, etc, etc. This one happens to have one single label that says, "made in China."

First impression is that it's much bigger and bulkier than I thought it would be.
    I unpacked it and cleaned everything with bleach water and then again with dish detergent and water. It's not too hard to clean if you have a sink sprayer. Otherwise you better be prepared to take it outside to the garden hose.

Assembly is completely straight forward.

Here's my test batch. It's 17 lbs of course ground pork butts. I'm having a picnic this weekend and wanted to make fresh cheddar brats. I also needed a couple lbs of chorizo for a meal next week, so I reserved 2 lbs to see how it did with small batches of meat.

Loaded with 15 lbs.

My seasonings.

Bratwurst cocktail anyone?

Cocktail added to the ground pork.

Mixing seems to work best if you crank clockwise for a few revolutions and then counter clockwise and repeat.

Cheese. This is the main reason I wanted a mixer. This is one and a half lbs of extra sharp cheddar. It is not high temp cheese. I think the high temp is a waist of money. I like my sausages slowly roasted, so oozing cheese usually isn't an issue.

Seems to be mixed well.

And the end result.

This is a great tool to have. The sausage is mixed quite well and it really takes very little time to get a consistent mix. And consistency is a huge reason to have one of them.
    It worked as well on the 2 lb batch of chorizo, although if that was all I was doing, I wouldn't have bothered using this large mixer.
    I will say however, that it's kind of a pain to get the meat out after it's mixed. But if you wear gloves and remove the paddles first, it's not too bad.
    Again, cleanup is pretty easy with a sink sprayer.

I definitely recommend one of these if you do a lot of large batches of sausage.

Thanks for checking out my review.

Tom

Nice

What a cool new toy

GOSM
    K.C.B.S Member # 60786
    Digital Thermometers
    Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
    140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

Thanks for the review, Tom. Been watching. I'll get one yet. Is 15 Lbs. about the max? Just curious.
      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
      CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
      New Braunfels Bandera
      UniFlame Gas Grill
      Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
        Is 15 Lbs. about the max? Just curious.
        No, it'll take more. It's supposed to hold 17 lbs and I'd say that about right. You definitely want to use the lid though.

Tom

Comment

Good score on the mixer, Gunny and awesome job on those brats.

Lucky for me, Bassman has a mixer and has been hinting around about making brats.. .

What kind of seasoning did you use? on the cheddar chunks!

... I'll catch ya on the reload.

Comment

Nice brats gunnycheese is a great add.1/2 -3/4 a pound of wild rice is awsome also.yer going to love that mixer.I love mine but I've never use the lid .maybe I'll give it a try.I think by the time Ive added everything I've been up to25 lbs an running over.but it sure does save on the cold hands
            2-22.5'' weber
            1-18'' weber
            1 smokey joe
            22.5'' wsm
            24'' smoke vault
            1-outhouse
            Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
            Smoked meathead #135

Comment

I knew you were going to enjoy that, Tom. Sure makes short work of mixing up a batch of sausage. Yes, I have been hinting around about making brats. Yard sale this weekend, fishing next weekend and who knows what. But we will get after it. Thanks for the review.
              sigpic
              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Thank YOU Gunny- for taking the time to do the review. And yes, it is exactly the same as the Weston I bought.
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Aloha Tom,

I was thinking of getting one of those too. How difficult is it to get the paddles out of there when you're ready to move the meat into the stuffer?
                  Last edited by Old poi dog; 09-08-2010, 10:31 PM.

Comment

We have the 44 lb. meat mixer so we can comfortably mix 25 lb. batches. They sure are a god send compared to freezing, tired hands. Great post Gunslinger !!!
                    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                    www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Assembly and disassembly are very easy. They designed it be easy to remove the paddles when full of meat.

Tom

Comment

Nice Toy Tom and a Great Review...

Comment

Great review... I do love mine for large batches of sausage.. If you are thinking about getting one, pull the trigger you will not regret it..
                          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Great post Gunny ... Thanks ...

Comment

Thanks for review Gunny. Looks real good. Although I dont know if Mrs will be all that excited about another piece of equipment I "have" to have
                              GOSM
                              Sausagemaker's Country Smokehouse
                              Charcoal Grill
                              Stainless Steel Gas Grill (for when I'm really lazy)

Comment

Working...
                              X