making ABT's ahead of time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making ABT's ahead of time?

So turkey day is going to be pretty hectic for me, since we're shooting for eating around noon. I'm trying to prep and get done as much stuff as I can ahead of time.

I'm planning on having ABT's. Has anyone ever prepped them a couple days before smoking them? I'm thinking about making them up tonight then smoking early Thursday morning. But I'm kind of worried about the cream cheese turning soggy where it's in contact with the jalapenos. Has anyone done anything similar?
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

I have made them up a few days early numerous times, except I didn't use cream cheese. I usually use smoked cheese, or string cheese.
    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

I've made them 12 horus ahead and they turned out to be fine...of course I put them in the frig too.... I did not season with rub till I cooked!
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I've cooked and kept in the fridge for a couple days - also frozen after cooking and both work really well

I'd be inclined to pre-ccok and just reheat in the bbq or oven on the day - though personally, I prefer tham cold :-)
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I've often made the fillling a day or two in advance, but I don't cut up the peppers until the day of. I've even cooked or par-cooked (nearly finished) the bacon a day in advance depending on whether I am mixing in bacon bits into the filling, or wrapping the ABT with bacon.
          Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
          Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
          A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
          A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
          Frogmats
          Maverick ET 732
          Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

well I definitely don't have time to prep and smoke them ahead of time, so that's out. The time consuming part is cutting, cleaning and wrapping them in bacon. Making the filling (I usually just do cream cheese with rub mixed in) and stuffing them doesn't take that long for me.

So I guess maybe I'll hold off until late wednesday night to make them, then get up early and get them in the smoker.
            Mike
            Life In Pit Row

Comment

I have done them lots like that. Mix up everything, stuff, wrap in bacon and off to the fridge until the next day or 2. In fact I think it helps because the cream cheese hardens back up in the pepper and doesn't seem to melt and leak out as much when soft and tossed right on the grill.

In fact... I have started buying my jalapenos when on sale. Slice in half, clean, and lay out of a sheet tray to freeze and then pop in a ziplock when froze. Super easy to take out a handle to make a couple at a time when the mood hits as well. They may be a little "softer" than fresh but after stuffing, grilling, and bacon no one seems to care!
              Where to Shop -
              www.OwensBBQ.com

Follow Tatonka Dust on Facebook -
              https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust

Comment

Hmmm. maybe I'll go back to my original plan of doing them tonight then.
                Mike
                Life In Pit Row

Comment

I would suggest lining the storage device with a towel to absorb any juice that did come off the ABTs.
                  sigpic
                  Weber 22.5 kettle
                  Smokin in the Smokies
                  Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
                  Jerry

Comment

I like the idea of prepping them the night before and storing them in the fridge...

I always mix the creme cheese with shredded cheddar and some rub...Seems to melt out of the turd a bit less with the cheddar involved...
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

I don't see why it should be a problem.
                      sigpic
                      "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
                      Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
                      UDS, Viking grill

Comment

Working...
                      X