fat cap vs. no fat cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ummm, greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ash tray

In real life, I trim it to 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Then remove after the smoke.
    sigpic

Comment

OK, then, I'll be the disenting opinion...

Remove it. What are you doing with it? Smoking it you say? Guess what, smoke won't penetrate it. Rub won't penetrate it. That nice bark you are after, guess what, that was the first thing you just scraped it off and threw that in the trash.

I have always subscribed to the paul kirk (the baron of BBQ) philosophy on this one...This from the virtual weber bullet at this link
      Prepping A Pork Butt

The most basic way to prep a pork butt for barbecuing is to simply remove it from the Cryovac packaging, pat it dry with paper towels, and apply a heavy sprinkling of rub to all sides. Some people will cook untrimmed pork butts with the fat-side facing up, believing that the fat "bastes" the meat during cooking.

I subscribe to the preparation method I learned at the Paul Kirk Pitmaster Class in 1997, which is to remove the fat cap and any large areas or pockets of external fat that can be easily trimmed away, then apply the rub. The logic behind this method is that:
      • Smoke and rub won't penetrate the external fat.
      • It takes more time and fuel to cook a pork butt with all the fat intact.
      • Unlike a brisket flat, which is quite lean and benefits from the protection that a layer of fat offers, a pork butt contains a tremendous amount of intramuscular fat, so the roast essentially "self-bastes" from the inside out.
      • After many hours of cooking, much of the external fat renders away, and you're not going to eat the fat that's left--you're going to cut it away and discard it.
      • Removing the external fat allows for the formation of more dark, flavorful outside meat that people enjoy so much.
      You'll need a large, sharp knife to trim a pork butt. Don't try this with a paring knife, a utility knife, or any knife that is dull. You may wish to invest in a butcher's knife, but a large, very sharp chef's knife will do.
      BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
      Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
      I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

I remove the fat cap as well, have never had a dry shoulder or butt. Try it each way and see which result you prefer. As you will see everyone has their own slightly different method and preferences. That is the fun of this, you customize it.
        Dawn

New Braunfels Bandera "Grail"
        Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
        1 Maverick ET-73
        1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

Great conversation folks. Looks like I've got some experimentin to do. Thanks all
          JT

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post

Remove it. What are you doing with it? Smoking it you say? Guess what, smoke won't penetrate it. Rub won't penetrate it. That nice bark you are after, guess what, that was the first thing you just scraped it off and threw that in the trash.

I have always subscribed to the paul kirk (the baron of BBQ) philosophy on this one...This from the virtual weber bullet at this link
            Prepping A Pork Butt

The most basic way to prep a pork butt for barbecuing is to simply remove it from the Cryovac packaging, pat it dry with paper towels, and apply a heavy sprinkling of rub to all sides. Some people will cook untrimmed pork butts with the fat-side facing up, believing that the fat "bastes" the meat during cooking.

I subscribe to the preparation method I learned at the Paul Kirk Pitmaster Class in 1997, which is to remove the fat cap and any large areas or pockets of external fat that can be easily trimmed away, then apply the rub. The logic behind this method is that:
            • Smoke and rub won't penetrate the external fat.
            • It takes more time and fuel to cook a pork butt with all the fat intact.
            • Unlike a brisket flat, which is quite lean and benefits from the protection that a layer of fat offers, a pork butt contains a tremendous amount of intramuscular fat, so the roast essentially "self-bastes" from the inside out.
            • After many hours of cooking, much of the external fat renders away, and you're not going to eat the fat that's left--you're going to cut it away and discard it.
            • Removing the external fat allows for the formation of more dark, flavorful outside meat that people enjoy so much.

You'll need a large, sharp knife to trim a pork butt. Don't try this with a paring knife, a utility knife, or any knife that is dull. You may wish to invest in a butcher's knife, but a large, very sharp chef's knife will do.
            Agreed, Dana
            I've always done mine this way.
            sigpic
            New Braunfels Bandera
            New Braunfels Hondo
            4-22.5" Weber Kettles
            1-26" Weber Kettle
            24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
            Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post

Remove it.
              Well... I got 4 to cook up for a guy's golf outing. I'll give a couple the "treatment" and check it out :{) I am also gonna halve one, and "dissect" another...laying the money muscle group out. Which also removes alot of fat in the process. Gonna send the guys a package of medallions for a surprise
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
              X