Types of Ribs - Best choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Types of Ribs - Best choice?

The 8 year old has a hankering for ribs or pulled pork this weekend and since its his bday I should probably give in. Honestly, any reason to make ribs (or pulled meat) is good enough for me.

The question - The local grocery store has a selection of ribs on sale, which is easiest, and tastiest? I will have about 8 hours of cooking time to work with.

My options:
    Pork Baby Back
    Angus Short Ribs
    Southern Style Pork Ribs (not sure what this truly means)
    Or a pork butt

Thanks
    JT
    Born in VA - Living in WI
    On the deck:
    34" Smoke Hollow
    30" Great Outdoors
    Brinkman 4 burner grill
    In the house:
    Wife and 3 kids
    In the doghouse:
    Today, the dog.

I do love some baby backs!!! I dont think you can go wrong with any of those choices, but with only 8 hours, I would skip doing a butt.
    Stay thirsty my friends!!

Comment

BB for me.....
      sigpic

Comment

Go w/ the Babybacks, if an 8 year old says ribs, Babybacks are usually what they're talking about.

GOSM
        K.C.B.S Member # 60786
        Digital Thermometers
        Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
        140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

First off my choice would be Baby backs.

Originally posted by JT View Post
          And i have no idea if i am correct but aren't these also called "country" style ribs? Which are chops taken from the shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
            First off my choice would be Baby backs.

And i have no idea if i am correct but aren't these also called "country" style ribs? Which are chops taken from the shoulder.
            Maybe they are "country" - I just get scared when the location of the meat is not disclosed.

It appears BB's a fan favorite.
            JT
            On the deck:
            34" Smoke Hollow
            30" Great Outdoors
            Brinkman 4 burner grill
            In the house:
            Wife and 3 kids
            In the doghouse:
            Today, the dog.

Comment

Maybe they are "country" - I just get scared when the location of the meat is not disclosed.

It appears BB's a fan favorite.
              Heh marketing folk are always coming up with new crap to call the old stuff so it can be "special" and sell...

I'm a spares- trimmed St Looie- fan...

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...64102#poststop
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

baby backs are loin back ribs. Country style are usually made from pork shoulder/butt or the shoulder end of the loin. Angus short ribs are beef, and a whole different thing. I would go with the baby backs in your situation.
                Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  Heh marketing folk are always coming up with new crap to call the old stuff so it can be "special" and sell...

I'm a spares- trimmed St Looie- fan...

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...64102#poststop
                  Clicked on the link...now I am starving. Great tutorial on preparing ribs. I will probably refer to it again on Thursday afternoon.
                  JT
                  On the deck:
                  34" Smoke Hollow
                  30" Great Outdoors
                  Brinkman 4 burner grill
                  In the house:
                  Wife and 3 kids
                  In the doghouse:
                  Today, the dog.

Comment

Clicked on the link...now I am starving. Great tutorial on preparing ribs. I will probably refer to it again on Thursday afternoon.
                    The bonus to Looie trimming for me (And ALL sausage makers) is the "scrap" tips. You CAN rub 'em up and smoke them too, of course. I chew the gristle...wheee!
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I am with Rich on this one. Spares trimmed St. Louie are my favorite too.

Dave

Comment

I vote for baby backs but I don't know as much as the others on here. I too think butt will take too long. I have enjoyed St. Louis style too though. Still voting for the BB's!
                        Don't forget the brats and beer to hold ya over until they're done!
                        Weber Genesis Grill
                        WSM
                        WestErn Smoker by Jerod--"Laquisha"

Comment

lets see i'm cooking or eatting, cause if an eatting thing invloving my favorite four letter words "free food", just give me a call...

if i'm a cooking.... st looie style spares all the way
                          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

My options:
                            Pork Baby Back
                            Angus Short Ribs
                            Or a pork butt

red meat for the boy child would be my pick. those are good with a non sweet rub.
                            but, what ever you cook for him. I am sure he will need a couple napkins
                            sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                            nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

BBs are the way to go
                              sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                              members mark upright propane smoker
                              kingsford bbq
                              23"weber kettle

Comment

Working...
                              X