2 Butts for the 4th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Butts for the 4th

I've had this big vac sealed 2 pack of pork butts in the freezer for awhile awaiting some special occasion and I decided that since we are having 9 people with us at our lake place over the 4th, they would make a great feed, smoked and pulled. I could have waited and done them up there in my ECB or over the fire, but I'm glad I didn't because they took 12 hours to reach 200º.
    I didn't even think of using my camera until the wife reminded me right after I put them in the drum so that's when the pics start. Prior to that I scored the fat caps and gave them a healthy dose of Mad Hunky to sleep in overnight in the fridge. I took them out Saturday when I got up and let them warm up for a couple hours then injected them with apple juice mixed with good doses of Jim Beam and maple syrup and apple cider vinegar before giving them over to my drum's care. I used blue bag and hickory chunks.
    Periodically I'd quickly lift the lid and give them a good squirt of more of the injecting juice and I left them in the drum until Diana went to bed at 11:00 and they reached 170º. Then I brought them in, put them in a foil pan with more injection juice in the bottom, covered them with foil and put them in the oven at 275º for an hour, but they only came up to 180º, so I upped the temp to 350º for one more hour and that did it, they were 200º on the button when I took them out, wrapped them in foil and put them in a cooler for the night. I saved the juices from the pan in a measuring cup in the fridge and scooped the solidified fat off the top the next morning. I plan on mixing just a little BBQ sauce in with it and mixing it all with the meat just before serving. Diana actually did the pork pulling because Sunday morning my blood sugar was way low and I wasn't doing the greatest.
    Every holiday we spend up there, one day we throw a big pot luck and I figure what with the folks we have with us, and the rest of the relatives that will be up there we'll be feeding at least 19 people. I hope the pork stretches far enough!

Into the smoke.

In the house to finish in the oven.

Out of the oven at 200º

All pulled, tasting great and the smell driving us crazy.

This guy got more tastes than I did!

Ready for the freezer.

Thanks for looking at my pics!
    Last edited by MichChef; 06-27-2011, 09:29 AM.

Looks great Chef, I'm sure your company will appreciate your efforts. I froze some of mine for the first time the last time I made some and it actually tasted better the second time around. Have a great 4th!
    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Nice smoke! Butts look great!
      sigpic

Comment

Great looking PP John. Gonna be some happy people.
        sigpic

Comment

MC...great job...lotsa work but worth every minute of it...Your guests will be delighted...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

You sure got nice...butts! Looking great Chef... carry on!
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Nice....Butt work Sir! Those folks will be tummy happy!
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
              X