Pork Belly/Bacon Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pork Belly/Bacon Question

Just bought two pork bellies to make some bacon. I've made bacon before, but the bellies I got previously were no where near as big as these! These are about 12 pounds a piece and easily 22-24 inches long. No way that will fit in my smoker!!! Question is can I cut the belly in half, brine both pieces together (or separately as two different recipes?) and then smoke in smoker with each one on it's own hanger? Basically..Can I cut the belly in half?

Thanks...

Dan
    Attached Files

Yes it's fine to cut it in half, no big deal ! I cut mine in half all the time
    Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
    Weber 22.5" WSM
    Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
    Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
    Weber Smokey Joe
    GMG Daniel Boone
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
    6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
    Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
    The Vortex

Comment

Dang that was a big pig. Sure... cut ‘em. Obviously if you use 2 diff. recipes, weight each and use cure in the amount for THAT hunk.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

When I did my bacons mine were always that size and I definitely cut them in half. After I got a few bellies under my belt it was fun to experiment with different flavors. If you do that, put different color tie ties on the hangers so you remember which is which!
        Mustang electric smoker
        King Kooker vertical gasser
        Charbroil silver smoker
        Earnhardt Jr smoker
        Brinkman smoke n' grill
        a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

Yes, I always split them, sometimes thirds. Just figure the cure for each separately.
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
            Yes, I always split them, sometimes thirds. Just figure the cure for each separately.
            X2 and as everyone above. I usually weight them, trim and then cut them to easy to measure pieces...like 2.5 or 3 or such. Not 2.68 Any extra trimming is great for sausage, burgers or such.

Comment

Working...
            X