Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork Attempt, keep it or pitch it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulled Pork Attempt, keep it or pitch it?

I am in the process of attempting to smoke a 11# bone in pork butt. Seasoned and injected Saturday morning.
    Here is the time line
    0630- preheat MES40 to 225*
    Light maze w apple and hickory
    0700- add slab of baby backs to top shelf
    0800- add 11# pork butt on 3rd shelf, foil drip tray underneath
    0900- foil baby backs
    1200- pull baby backs. IT 158*, insert probe into butt, initial temp reading was 127 after 5 hours, turn unit up to 240.
    1330 turn unit up to 250. 2nd probe on shelf was reading 10* cooler than the smoker says.
    1645- probe reads 149*. Place butt in foil pan with apple juice and cover with foil. Turn unit up to max (275*). Shelf probe still reading cooler than smoker says.
    1730- probe reads 154*. Shelf probe is reading 270*.
    Plan is to go until IT hits 195* then rest and shred.
    So by not getting to 134* in 4 hours, is this cook best thrown away?
    Outside temp has been low 60s and windy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you are fine... the outside I bet got to the needed temp... I would keep cooking...
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Keep cooking and don't be shy with the smoke...Sounds like an opportunity for a deliciously smoky batch of pork
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

on re-reading...Heck you're only 10 hours into what could be a 17 hour cook...Sorry if you planned on this for tonight's supper...Order pizza and let the porker have all the time it needs
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Been there done that. Let your conscious be your guide.
          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by strength_and_power View Post
            I am in the process of attempting to smoke a 11# bone in pork butt. Seasoned and injected Saturday morning.
            Originally posted by strength_and_power View Post
            So by not getting to 134* in 4 hours, is this cook best thrown away?
            I'd say you would have been fine if you didn't inject. If you hadn't injected only the outer 1/4" needed to get up to 135° in four hours. But since you did inject, that changes what the recommendations say. Recommendations for whole intact muscle no longer apply.

If I was going to inject I would have set the initial temp to 250°. But then I always start them at 240°.

127° after 5 hours on an injected butt? I'd toss it and either not inject or crank up the heat next weekend..

But it's your call. Not for me to decide. Just telling you what I would do based on my understanding of the recommendations.
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

You are fine..... SMoke on...
              Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                Been there done that. Let your conscious be your guide.

According to my ex girlfriends, I have neither a conscious or a soul

Comment

Your times are consistent with most of mine. An eight pound butt usually takes about 7hrs to reach 160 @ 240°. That's where I foil and take to 200 or probe tender. That usually takes 11-12 hrs. Eleven lbs should take 13-14 hrs. Not reaching 134 in 4 hrs is not a deal breaker. It's not fowl. It takes as long as it takes.
                  Custom backwoods chubby
                  Bellfab offset: big and heavy
                  Oklahoma Joe's offset
                  Really ugly drum
                  Bbq guru digi q
                  Red thermopen

Comment

what did you inject it with ?

Reason being, yes the needle can introduce bacteria into the interior of the meat - but depending on what's in the solution, it can also be an antibacterial solution in it's own right.
                    Either way I think your meat should be fine.
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                      I'd say you would have been fine if you didn't inject. If you hadn't injected only the outer 1/4" needed to get up to 135° in four hours. But since you did inject, that changes what the recommendations say. Recommendations for whole intact muscle no longer apply.
                      Technically..this is correct. Altho chances are smaller with pork/beef, you MAY have inadvertently poked bacteria into the meat with the injection process.

While I cannot seem to find info on it, here’s a “poster” recommending 155° for any injected meats. Take note prime rib/rare roast peoples.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defau...ulesPoster.pdf
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                        what did you inject it with ?

Reason being, yes the needle can introduce bacteria into the interior of the meat - but depending on what's in the solution, it can also be an antibacterial solution in it's own right.

Either way I think your meat should be fine.

Creole butter

Comment

Originally posted by old retired cabinetmaker View Post
                          Your times are consistent with most of mine. An eight pound butt usually takes about 7hrs to reach 160 @ 240°. That's where I foil and take to 200 or probe tender. That usually takes 11-12 hrs. Eleven lbs should take 13-14 hrs. Not reaching 134 in 4 hrs is not a deal breaker. It's not fowl. It takes as long as it takes.

At 2030, 12.5 hours in, the IT was 207. I verified this with a second thermometer and then pulled and placed in a cooler for 45 minutes.
                          Bone pulled right out and the meat pulled/shredded easily, almost too tender.I couldn't resist trying a small piece, I'm not dead and didn't end up spending my evening on the toilet so it was probably fine. Ultimately I decided this was just a visual experiment and ended up tossing figuring a $12 pork butt was not worth the potential down time considering my week is packed. It was a good learning experience and I'm sure the next one will be even better.

The rack of baby backs I did at the beginning did turn out great so there is some solace.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                            Technically..this is correct. Altho chances are smaller with pork/beef, you MAY have inadvertently poked bacteria into the meat with the injection process.

While I cannot seem to find info on it, here’s a “poster” recommending 155° for any injected meats. Take note prime rib/rare roast peoples.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defau...ulesPoster.pdf

Looks like I have some reading to do

Comment

Just throw away the injector and rock it out again.

It does suck when you start second guessing your smoker, thermometers and judgement.

Sounds like you got a lesson on your smoker.

Test your thermometers right before your cook to solve that problem...

Have another beer to solve the judgment problem...

And get the picture of you throwing away a perfectly good piece of meat out of your head.......it most likely has happened to us all.

Comment

Working...
                              X