Papoo's Steamed Fish Wraped in Fig leafs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Papoo's Steamed Fish Wraped in Fig leafs

This recipe comes from my Greek grandfather. I had a couple of people express an interest so I thought I'd post it.

Sorry no pic because I don't have any fig leafs in part of the world.

1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 clove garlic, miniced
    2 Tbs butter
    1 bunch fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
    1/2 tsp dill (fresh if you've got it)
    2 Tbs chopped parsley
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 crumbled Feta
    2 Tbs bread crumbs

Saute onion and garlic in butter until soft; add spinach and cook until wilted. Add dill, parsley, salt and pepper; cook a few more minutes. Add Feta and bread crumbs, mix well.

6 Figs leafs rinsed well and stems trimmed ( we're not going to eat them used just for flavor)
    About 1 1/2 lbs of sole (6 pieces)
    Fresh lemon juice

Sprinkle fish with lemon juice. Place spoonful of spinach mixture in center of each fish fillet and roll up. Place fish on the Fig leaf, dull side up.

You want to fold the outer fingers of the leaf over the ends of the fish, bring the bottom of the leaf over and then finish with the top of the leaf. Much the same way you'd stuff a grape leaf.

In you're steamer put 1 part water to two parts wine (white .. not sweet. My Grandfather always used Retsina) Place the stuffed fig leafs in the steamer with the top leaf side down so they don't come undone. Steam for about 20 min. Take them out of the fig leafs and eat.

This dish has a very strong flavor and can be served with a lemon and egg sauce or even a Bechamel

Hope this isn't too confusing.

SWEET!! Thanks for sharing this!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Awesome recipe! I can't wait to try this. I was reading how fig leaves and wood have tons of flavor. I'm gonna be saving any trimmings to smoke with.

Thanks so much for sharing your family recipe. I'll be sure to post aboot it when I make this. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I sure appreciate the recipe!... In the top 5 to do list...And just so happens my Dad has a Fig tree in his back yard!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Schweet!!! That's cool, dat's gonna happen soon!!
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
          X