11 PM - 12 pm hopefully

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11 PM - 12 pm hopefully

Had to go into work today and I was "da-only" one there. Got home as soon as I could and then the wife wanted me to go back to town 2o miles to help her boss move some furniture, I did.
    SO, at 4pm my time I started my first smoke job w/a 5 lb butt. Chargriller w/mods was at 325 FB side and 275 far side after the first 45....heck.
    Jumped on this site FOR SOME INSTRUCTIONS and shut down firebox vent to 1/4 had it all the way open. Opened the top for 1 minute to cool a little.Exhaust is wide open.
    At 1 hour FB side was about 270 far side was showing 210. I think it was still dropping so I put the vent to 1/2 open.
    I used 3 chunks fist sized Hickory which I soaked for 24 hours (i did soak more). Rubbed the meat and let sleep for 30 hours. Rerubbed prior to putting on.
    I will check the wood about every 1hr15min and not look at the meat ""
    Its a learning experience I know. I am going to have to go get a beer to continue this evenings journey
    Chargriller Smoker (w/Mod's)
    Kenmore Grill
    Maverick ET-72
    1/1/13 PP 1/12/13 PP

Well good luck to ya sir!!! What a great husband to help out the missus' boss. Good on ya! You'll be rewarded with some mighty fine meat!

Comment

Ya shoulda got that beer earlier!!
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
        Ya shoulda got that beer earlier!!
        Ditto, beer always eases the stress level ......except when you run out....

Comment

Ditto beer! Good luck on your smoke.
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks fella's - cruising on to Beer #2. Bro in-law texted me to add only one chunk of Hickory every hour. Crap I was way over that. Making up some Coleslaw now from a recipe he found. Hopefully my Black Lab will like the Coleslaw if she won't eat my first "Q"
            Kenmore Grill
            Maverick ET-72
            1/1/13 PP 1/12/13 PP

Comment

Originally posted by Butts View Post
              Thanks fella's - cruising on to Beer #2. Bro in-law texted me to add only one chunk of Hickory every hour. Crap I was way over that. Making up some Coleslaw now from a recipe he found. Hopefully my Black Lab will like the Coleslaw if she won't eat my first "Q"
              ....... You will rock it!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Butts View Post
                Ya gotta feel that "chunks of cherry" thing out. Might need more, might need less. Be aight!! Just keep it thin and blue!
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Pulled out the 5 lb'r after 6.5 hrs. Never did have control of the temp in the main chamber. Swung high and low. Ambient ended up at 20F. Wrapped er up tight in tin-foil in the house and then wrapped in a towel and into a insulated cooler. Wiped down the inside of the chamber with oil, the pan was dried up into hardened sludge. Sounds like a failure....but the house sure smelled great after I brought it inside.
                  Kenmore Grill
                  Maverick ET-72
                  1/1/13 PP 1/12/13 PP

Comment

Pulled it apart at 6:30 this morning. Really moist insidenot dry. Outter brown area "Mr Brown" is about 1/16" at most. I had the baffle under the first plate and the succeeding plates 1" apart. Not sure if that was good bad for smoke and heat. Needed to have more liquid in the pan below the meat. I was checking Charcoal every 75 minutes, perhaps I should check more often instead of overloading with more charcoal thus increasing heat too much. I will bring beer to a friends house and get him feeling good before we EAT
                    Can't thank you fella's and this site enough
                    Kenmore Grill
                    Maverick ET-72
                    1/1/13 PP 1/12/13 PP

Comment

Working...
                    X