Dry Brined Salmon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Brined Salmon...

I'm posting this more for reasons somebody can point out things I may be doing wrong. This certainly is not a tutorial as I have never done this before.
    No pics of the brining process as it's not really a process at all and I kept it very simple. 4 cups of dark brown sugar and 1 cup of kosher salt mixed. I did this per the Salmon University instructions which is simply cover the fish in the sugar/salt mixture and I brined for about 10 hours.

So here they are air drying to form the, whats it called? Pellicle?

Some fresh split apple and red oak. Mostly apple the red oak will be to just form a coal base. I plan to put the fish in my vertical warmer and try to run it about 160 to 170'ish How long can I expect it to take and what internal should I go to?

G Spot BBQ Hittin' The Spot Since 2004

Brine sounds good, temp too. I don't go by temp, but by feel - they firm up when cooked, feel solid. I would guess about 120° or so.
    Good question, I need to check the int. temp next time I smoke some.
    Others will know betta!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I the last batch of Lake trout I did I brought the internal temp to 165.This may be to much for salmon It may make it to dry.The laker are oily enough to take the heat.
      sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
      members mark upright propane smoker
      kingsford bbq
      23"weber kettle

Comment

Well, poop..I missed this. Nice "brine" The advantage of a dry approach..it pulls he water out of the fish..indeed making it's own brine.

When the meat flakes easily, it's done. Never have checked for an IT.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

You can't go wrong with Salmon University stuff IMO.... Hear some of them on the outdoor fishing shows around here Sat. mornings.... I would agree with Mark R on the finish..... Go by feel/texture is what I do also..... There is a point between "soft" & "dryed oot" when they get close to being done where you will have to decide to pull them off.... If you miss it & are a little early, you can put the chunks in a zip bag with some paper towels overnight in the fridge & the towels will absorb some of the moisture.... Check in the morning, this may take a bit longer than overnight, thus replace with fresh towels & go a little longer until your desired texture for finish is achieved.... The fridge rest will also tighten them up.... Hot smoked fish (in the way you are doing yours) is not very good IMO.... Cool it down though & it is outstanding
          sigpic

Comment

The vertical on the rig is running about 160.

So on they go...

All done! I think I just went by feel. They were pretty solid when I pushed on the flesh with my finger but still moist on the inside. I didn't try any myself but the wife, kids and neighbor said it was money! I guess I just can't force myself to like salmon it just doesn't even smell good to me! Damn!!

Comment

Those look Great!!!

To answer your earlier question-----Everything I've read says at least 145*IT.
              If the fish can handle it, I'd go to 160*IT, but never less than 145*IT.

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

fish looks excellent have some

lmao - and this really tickled me.

A 'dry brine' = a rub.
                Mind you a wet rub could also be a brine :-)

And in case anyone is wondering about the high sugar to salt ratio. Sugar has almost the same antibacterial and preservative properties as salt. So absolutely nothing wrong with a 4:1 sugar to salt ratio.
                Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-01-2013, 11:23 AM.
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

They look picture perfect to me. I've never went by temp either. Just look and feel. A shame you won't eat it. Especially when the others say it's spot on.

Now that you've smoked it, give that dip recipe to the wife. She thinks the fish is good.....try the dip. Just make sure you have plenty of crackers. Around here it disappears fast. Hehe.
                  S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                  CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
                    They look picture perfect to me. I've never went by temp either. Just look and feel. A shame you won't eat it. Especially when the others say it's spot on.

Now that you've smoked it, give that dip recipe to the wife. She thinks the fish is good.....try the dip. Just make sure you have plenty of crackers. Around here it disappears fast. Hehe.
                    I plan on making that dip. I just enjoy cooking stuff even if I don't like it it's always nice when others appreciate it. Everything I smoked is already gone. Kids took most of it home with them. Thanks to you I got it all vac packed!

Comment

Looks like you nailed it!
                      sigpic

Comment

I dry brine (1 bag of demerara sugar to 7/8 cup of rock/kosher salt) for 24 to 48 hours. I then rinse and dry with a table/box fan for 3 to 5 hours to form that very important pellicle. I then smoke for 4 - 6 hours minimum with at least 3 pans of alder/cherry.

I prefer the Lil Chief to any of the other smokers.

Your fish looks awesome but keep the temp down if you don't want the "white stuff" on top.
                        Weber 22.5
                        Lil Chief
                        1950's Crosley Shelvadore
                        Bradley Smoker
                        Maverick ET732
                        Nesco Dehydrator
                        Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

Working...
                        X