$7,000 budget for tailgate!! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $7,000 budget for tailgate!! Help!

No we won't spend that much, but we do have that amount at our disposal, obviously we want to stay a lot lower, maybe around $1500 - $2000...we are getting ready to take our annual bus trip to a Notre Dame game, this year in South Bend. We'll be leaving PA on Thursday morning, stopping near Toledo Thursday evening, then finishing the trip Friday morning, staying in Elkhart and then hitting the campus Friday and then Saturday for the game. Hubs and I do the tailgate, some of which we prepare ahead of time, some is all done out there. Game time is 3:30 so we have to be wrapped up by about 2:45. Getting to tailgating spot at about 8:00 am.

Looking for ideas for an awesome menu. We try and bump it up a notch each year, but I don't know for this year. Last time we were out there was two years ago, for breakfast we did Creamed dried beef over fried potatoes, fruit, danish, coffee, bloody mary's, mimosa's, all for breakfast. When that was done we broke that down and put out a huge pot of my homemade MD crab soup, peel & eats, and some chips and dips, oh and some pulled ham, all for lunch.

Then broke that down and served baked potato, filet mignon, small (like 4 inch) lobster tail, and ceasar salad.

We have a generator, but not no room for a smoker. All prepared food is cooked on Wednesday and ALL food has to travel in coolers iced down for basically 3 days. We have cookers to heat things up in our room on Friday evening so some can be hot as soon as we get there. We also have a big "corn" pot on an outdoor burner, two travel grills that actually work very well, and three propane burners for frying pans.

So, anyone have any ideas you can throw my way? We leave next Thursday, 11/1. Any ideas, suggestions, etc? This is for 46 people.
    Mustang electric smoker
    King Kooker vertical gasser
    Charbroil silver smoker
    Earnhardt Jr smoker
    Brinkman smoke n' grill
    a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Went and grabbed some pics from FB, apparently we had hot dogs and burgers for lunch too. And you'll see that when we are out there we do have help on the line...

Frying up potatoes for the SOS.

Pic of set up.

Getting in a little beer pong

creamed dried beef of fire potatoes

Then lunch

pulled ham

Burgers and dogs

peel & eats

my MD crab soup, this is a must every year.

now grilling up steaks!

mini-lobster tails, I guess they are smaller than the 4 inch mark...

nice tossed salad

GO ND!!!
    Mustang electric smoker
    Charbroil silver smoker
    Earnhardt Jr smoker
    Brinkman smoke n' grill

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

Wow!!! How do you kick it up from that!
      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
      Weber Smokey Joe
      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
      Pink Thermapen
      Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
        Wow!!! How do you kick it up from that!
        Therein lies the problem!! Hubs is thinking skip breakfast, I'm thinking skip lunch other than soup. This was really too much for everyone to eat in like 5 1/2 hours...just trying to come up with something different and new or odd.

Also saw that the temps out there for next Wednesday is possibly snow, so weather could play a factor too, might need to think about stilck to the ribs to keep you warm kind of stuff for dinner.
        Mustang electric smoker
        Charbroil silver smoker
        Earnhardt Jr smoker
        Brinkman smoke n' grill

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

That's an awesome tailgate party!
          WSM and UDS - iBQ'n BBQ Team co-founder TheBBQSuperstore.com

Comment

Originally posted by shellbellc View Post
            No we won't spend that much, but we do have that amount at our disposal, obviously we want to stay a lot lower, maybe around $1500 - $2000...we are getting ready to take our annual bus trip to a Notre Dame game, this year in South Bend. We'll be leaving PA on Thursday morning, stopping near Toledo Thursday evening, then finishing the trip Friday morning, staying in Elkhart and then hitting the campus Friday and then Saturday for the game. Hubs and I do the tailgate, some of which we prepare ahead of time, some is all done out there. Game time is 3:30 so we have to be wrapped up by about 2:45. Getting to tailgating spot at about 8:00 am.

Looking for ideas for an awesome menu. We try and bump it up a notch each year, but I don't know for this year. Last time we were out there was two years ago, for breakfast we did Creamed dried beef over fried potatoes, fruit, danish, coffee, bloody mary's, mimosa's, all for breakfast. When that was done we broke that down and put out a huge pot of my homemade MD crab soup, peel & eats, and some chips and dips, oh and some pulled ham, all for lunch.

Then broke that down and served baked potato, filet mignon, small (like 4 inch) lobster tail, and ceasar salad.

We have a generator, but not no room for a smoker. All prepared food is cooked on Wednesday and ALL food has to travel in coolers iced down for basically 3 days. We have cookers to heat things up in our room on Friday evening so some can be hot as soon as we get there. We also have a big "corn" pot on an outdoor burner, two travel grills that actually work very well, and three propane burners for frying pans.

So, anyone have any ideas you can throw my way? We leave next Thursday, 11/1. Any ideas, suggestions, etc? This is for 46 people.
            You have plenty of time to cook up some ribs, pulled pork, and pulled beef before you go. Freeze it in vacuum sealed bags, then reheat them in the "corn" pot. Thaw the frozen bags first, drop them in the hot water NOT BOILING WATER, let them go for a few minutes. Serve with Coleslaw, good rolls, and a side of fillet mignon or two, maybe wrapped in bacon... you rockin'!

Just sayin'...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I hope humble pie is not on the menu... ;{)

Not gonna be an easy game.

Think sous vide style reheat on whatever.... vac it, cool it and bring cookers and pots with water. 160-ish... 15-20 mins to serve.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                Freeze it in vacuum sealed bags, then reheat them in the "corn" pot. Thaw the frozen bags first, drop them in the hot water NOT BOILING WATER, let them go for a few minutes. Serve with Coleslaw, good rolls, and a side of fillet mignon or two, maybe wrapped in bacon... you rockin'!

Just sayin'...
                Figgers Hawg had this covered...
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

We did ribs and pulled pork one year, didn't vacuum them but reheated in a roaster, pulled pork we froze in half pans and then reheated in roaster also. Problem is I actually don't have the time to BBQ all that Phil, my only cook day is Wednesday and that is also my shopping day. I will have to do my soup that night, which doesn't take a lot of time. I could probably get some ribs done in my gasser because I don't have time to watch 100%, or maybe shoulders. But not both. At this point ribs for 46 people not looking doable.
                  I think we're doing breakfast and dinner...skipping the lunch part.
                  Mustang electric smoker
                  Charbroil silver smoker
                  Earnhardt Jr smoker
                  Brinkman smoke n' grill

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

Crab/seafood boil!
                    Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Looks like a great spread - why not just repeat it since ya got it down
                      Scarbelly

Comment

Originally posted by shellbellc View Post
                        We did ribs and pulled pork one year, didn't vacuum them but reheated in a roaster, pulled pork we froze in half pans and then reheated in roaster also. Problem is I actually don't have the time to BBQ all that Phil, my only cook day is Wednesday and that is also my shopping day. I will have to do my soup that night, which doesn't take a lot of time. I could probably get some ribs done in my gasser because I don't have time to watch 100%, or maybe shoulders. But not both. At this point ribs for 46 people not looking doable.
                        I think we're doing breakfast and dinner...skipping the lunch part.
                        Yeah, okay... tough gig... damn. Maybe next year, cook the stuff up ahead of time.... worth it.

How about fire up the grill and do ABT's, chicken fingers, and skirt steak fajitas...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

If you're gonna just do the soup for lunch. Make up a few loaves of pepperoni bread. You can foil, warm up on the grill slice and serve. Great little snack.

Comment

I say go simple and good. Breakfast burritos would be pretty easy to do I would think. Fry up some taters, peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc with some cheese and sauces and scrambled eggs...whatever you want and make an assembly line where folks can roll their own. I know you've got soup already but you could also make a big pot of gumbo in that new DO...I love the stuff when the weather gets cooler. For dinner, go old school...chili dogs and Or a spaghetti / meatball dinner would be easy and different.
                            Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                            Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                            1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                            Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                            Weber Smokey Joe
                            Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                            Pink Thermapen
                            Purple Thermapen

Comment

lol so you've got $1500-2000 to feed 46 people.

I say use outside catering :-) 40 odd bucks a head ought to buy something pretty decent

My first thought was - cook a lot of lobster - but you already did that lol

Nope I'm saying go with catering
                              Chiilax, kick back, drink beer, shoot the breeze and let other people do the cooking :-)
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X