2nd Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Attempt

My second time using the new smoker. I'm posting to hopefully get some of your professional opinions. My first was a rack of ribs and was eaten so fast had no time for photos. So please, tell me if this looks right. Chicken internal temp was at 172* and the ribs 169*. Thanks in advance for your comments.
    Attached Files

IT on ribs is irrelevant. You look for a nice "bend" whe lifted and a little bone/meat seperation. Nice IT on the bird tho...

Honestly- looks like the ribs could use more time. But it's hard to tell from Michigan.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

How was the skin on your chicken ? Seems like a lot of folks struggle with the rubber skin thing when first starting out.
      Weber Smoky Joe
      18" Weber Silver
      22.5" Weber Gold
      22.5" Weber Silver
      UDS X 2
      Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
      Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
      Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
      Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
      Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
      Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
      Blackstone three burner flat top
      5" AMZNPS
      Vortex x 2
      Maverick ET 73
      Maverick ET 732
      Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
      Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
      Pitmaster iQue 110
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        IT on ribs is irrelevant. You look for a nice "bend" whe lifted and a little bone/meat seperation. Nice IT on the bird tho...

Honestly- looks like the ribs could use more time. But it's hard to tell.
        I agree with Rich.
        Jim

Comment

They do not look bad, what was your cooking process? Where you happy with the flavor/texture.. that is what makes it right.. heck I did 4 birds this weekend, but the skin was rubber butt I knew that going in... i wanted the meat juicy.. and it was... I tossed the skin... so no biggie... I cooked at 285-300....too low for good skin.. but great for juicy meat!
          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
          Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

In my opinion its hard to cook those two things at the same time in the same smoker for "optimal results.

But not to worry there is a solution.....get another smoker. One for low and slow and a kettle indirect for high and fast.

Just make sure the bird is lower than all the other product, toss the skin and pull it.

Welcome, it looks good from Chi town.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. They help immensely.

Everything tasted great. The skin on the chicken was not crispy but not rubbery, kinda in between. I personally don't care for the skin anyway. The meat from the ribs didn't fall off the bone but I think if they cooked much longer the meat would have dried out. I cooked/smoked at 300* using an oven thermometer hanging from a rack and apple wood.

Really do appreciate the feedback, helps with the learning process. Thanks again. Will try this again soon.

Comment

Working...
              X