Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Helpful Information

Helpful Information Info, Tips & Tricks On Smoking Meats.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Checking in..... See what's Next?
Last Post: BYBBQ
Posted On: 07-27-2017
Replies: 1
Views: 19
0 Great gas grill for a great price.
Last Post: BYBBQ
Posted On: 07-27-2017
Replies: 1
Views: 18
0 Just got in a Pit Barrel Cooker. Smoke updates.
Last Post: chefrob
Posted On: 07-26-2017
Replies: 43
Views: 731
0 Teriyaki Pheasant Sandwich
Replies: 17
Views: 209
0 Classic Thermapen Open Box Sale
Replies: 3
Views: 46
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,265 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,314 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 634,154 Polls 35
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 10-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
Default Why summer sausage is called summer sausage

You guys probably knew this, but after 2years of asking nobody's ever given me a sensible answer.
So here it is:

Quote:
Summer sausage is the general term for any sausage that can be kept without the need of refrigeration. Summer sausage is usually a mixture of pork and other meat such as beef and/or venison. Summer sausage can be either dried or smoked, and curing ingredients can vary significantly, although some sort of curing salt is almost always used. Seasonings may include mustard seeds, black pepper, garlic salt, or sugar.

Summer sausage, like many types of sausage, makes use of leftover scrap meat and organ meat that would otherwise be wasted. However some brands of summer sausage do not use scrap meats at all.

A particular kind of summer sausage is popular in North Dakota, occasionally containing cheese in addition to meat. This type of summer sausage is smoked rather than dried and is generally best kept and eaten cold, though it can be cooked.

Traditionally, summer sausage is a fermented sausage with a low pH to slow bacterial growth and give a longer shelf life, causing a tangy taste. The distinctive taste can be copied using citric acid as a shortcut to keeping cultures to ferment the following batch.
Now it makes sense lol

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 10-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Meat give me MEAT

lynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

very cool.

thanks Ca

Member # 200

Old 10-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Too Much Soul to Control!

lcruzen Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlcruzen Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlcruzen Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlcruzen Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlcruzen Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlcruzen Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlcruzen Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlcruzen Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlcruzen Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlcruzen Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlcruzen Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlcruzen Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlcruzen Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlcruzen Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlcruzen Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlcruzen Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlcruzen Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlcruzen Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

I thought everybody knew that.

GOSM/propane
UDS (Cam)/lump
22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
Weber Genesis/propane
Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane
Old 10-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Pit Master

SmokinLee Is  A Name Known To All
SmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To All

Yea what do ya think we are, Spring Chickens. hehe.. that is a good read Alexander.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Moonlightin as a manwhore

Meat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To All
Meat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To All

And here I thought it was because whenever I brought a deer into the local processor in the Fall and put an order in for Sausage, it took him till Summer to get it done

Good read
Old 10-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Banned

ALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To All
ALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcruzen View Post

.......Yeah...fine read for those who didnt know etc...
Old 10-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Smokin Bill

minnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To All
minnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To All

I read a while back that because in the old days summer sausage was made in the cooler winter temps for fermentation it was done dried and eaten in the summer.so hence summer sausage.made sense to me .just sayin
22.5'' wsm
24'' smoke vault
1-outhouse
Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
Smoked meathead #135
Old 10-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Will Hunt For Food

Critterhunter Is  A Name Known To AllCritterhunter Is  A Name Known To AllCritterhunter Is  A Name Known To All
Critterhunter Is  A Name Known To AllCritterhunter Is  A Name Known To AllCritterhunter Is  A Name Known To AllCritterhunter Is  A Name Known To AllCritterhunter Is  A Name Known To AllCritterhunter Is  A Name Known To AllCritterhunter Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcruzen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinLee View Post
Yea what do ya think we are, Spring Chickens. hehe.. that is a good read Alexander.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALX View Post
.......Yeah...fine read for those who didnt know etc...
Ditto

Certified Sausage Head
Old 10-03-2010, 05:28 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All

lol well I have asked you lot several times with no answer. So sometimes you have to go find out for yourself.
And like everything - sometimes people don't ask because they think it makes them look stupid.
So in case there were/are anyone else who didn't know - it never hurts to post information :-)

I'm just looking for a category name for the big sliced sausages. Given that I'll be the only person making them when i start commercially, I need a category class and a name for each particular sausage flavour.

I like the sound of summer sausage, but needed to know the background :-)

Old 11-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Meat Mopper

eman Is Just Starting Out

Untill last year the only summer sausage i had tasted was the crap they sell at wal mart.
I found a great use for that stuff. Best bait i have ever used in my minnow traps down in the marsh!!!
At the gathering last spring i tasted a couple of home made summer sausages and found out what i'd been missing.
Charcol ECB
09 MES 40
Old 11-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Untill last year the only summer sausage i had tasted was the crap they sell at wal mart.
I found a great use for that stuff. Best bait i have ever used in my minnow traps down in the marsh!!!
At the gathering last spring i tasted a couple of home made summer sausages and found out what i'd been missing.
Amen to that eman..... My FIL & his cronies make the best SS I have personally had & of course their recipe is on a piece of paper only a couple of them have.... They will give it to me mixed up for whatever batch pounds I am wanting to make, but will not give me the recipe.... Bastards! ....
Old 11-05-2010, 10:30 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishawn View Post
They will give it to me mixed up for whatever batch pounds I am wanting to make, but will not give me the recipe.... Bastards! ....
You want it? Send me a sample...
Old 11-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Biltong King

I will put in a request... I bet you are the guy to see what's in their....
Old 11-07-2010, 06:06 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

hell, send me samples as well.

Ain't going to analyse them, but free samples are free samples right !

Old 11-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Rub Mixer

Jimr Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & SmokingJimr Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & Smoking

Quote:

A particular kind of summer sausage is popular in North Dakota, occasionally containing cheese in addition to meat.

I think your research is flawed.........!!!!! Everyone knows Wisconsinites are the "cheeseheads"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Helpful Information