Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 11-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Sheepdog / Zombie Killer

Hannibal Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherHannibal Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherHannibal Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherHannibal Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherHannibal Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherHannibal Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacher
Default First smoke on the UDS

Sorry, didn't get many pictures this time around. But I got the ones that count.

This was my first time smoking on the UDS, so I figured I'd go for gold. I picked up a 16lb beef brisket from Restraunt Depot the other day. In my MES, I'd be lucky to get one half that size in there.

I used a yellow mustard and then a rub treatment on it about 10 hours before it went on. The rub consisted of a mix of the leftover Chucky rub I had left over from the last chuck roast I did (which was a mix of Mad Hunky and home made Montreal) , plus a little more homemade Montreal seasoning, and the last of a brown sugar based rub I had leftover from the last brisket I did.

After some coaching from some of the more experienced UDS guys here, I got my temp under control and the briskey went on over RO lump and skeet chunks, getting a spritz of black cherry soda every 1-1.5 hours until I went to bed. I tried to keep the temps btw 225-240 and it worked out pretty well. As a side note, this was also my first overnight smoke.

I took it to 160 IT and foiled it with a little black cherry soda. Then I took it to 185 and wrapped it in a towel and into a cooler it went to rest for about 3 hours before slicing. I resereved the liquid and added a little more black cherry soda and a little beef broth to the sliced meat and covered it. When my peeps came over for dinner, I put the covered try in the oven for about 30 min @200 to warm it back up.

The results, well... see them for yourself:

Just before slicing:

First couple of slices:

And a closer look at my very first smoke ring!

I was VERY happy with the results, the flavor was rich and the meat was very tender and juicy.

I had thawed some venison steaks that I intended on using last night but didn't, so I had to make them, so I started up the coals again and brought the temp up nice and hot. I marinaded the steaks in Dales seasoning and I threw a couple more chuncks of skeet onto the coals. Grilled them up hot and fast on the UDS and they were "melt in your mouth" tender and very flavorful.

Didn't get any pics of the sides, but I browned some homemade (from a friend) pierogies in butter and onions. Also had some green beans and mashed taters.

It was a lot of food, but we put a healthy dent in it. Plus, I planned on having some leftover brisket for an upcoming pot of chili, and a guy's gotta have lunch to take to work right?

Thanks for lookin'

Char Griller 7474(w/SFB), UDS, WSJ Mini-drum conversion, MES 30

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 11-08-2010, 08:44 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Hehehe... lookie the noob go! Wings have started the third..so I'll be short. (heh what else COULD I be?)
You missed the cut across grain. No biggie...could have been tenderer. Still..pass a slice to three for the third!
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Nice Job Hani!
Learning from the Best

DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All
DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All

Holy CRAP, MAN!!

That is freakin' AWESOME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Sorry, didn't get many pictures this time around. But I got the ones that count.
That brisky turned out BEAUTIFUL!!

for that one for sure.

Dave
One Weber Kettle, One Knockoff Kettle
Blue Thermapen
Auber Smoker Controller
Proud Smoked -Meat Member #88

-

"All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010
Old 11-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Sheepdog / Zombie Killer

Hannibal Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherHannibal Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherHannibal Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherHannibal Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherHannibal Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherHannibal Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
You missed the cut across grain. No biggie...could have been tenderer. Still..pass a slice to three for the third!
You know what, you're right. I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. I guess it was even more tender than I thought!

I don't know how I didn't catch that, both when I was slicing it and when I was eating it. I know better than that too! I guess I was too excited to dive into it.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Sheepdog / Zombie Killer

Quote:
You know what, you're right. I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. I guess it was even more tender than I thought!

I don't know how I didn't catch that, both when I was slicing it and when I was eating it. I know better than that too! I guess I was too excited to dive into it.
I'm blaming the delirium that I had earlier today!

Old 11-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Banned

ALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To All
ALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To All

That is superb....Man...first smoke ring and UDS cook too....

[I] assume you were a gasser/elecrtic user then...
Old 11-08-2010, 09:07 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

SCORES! OT Z-Dude!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Mums secret recpie

Pandemonium Is  A Name Known To All
Pandemonium Is  A Name Known To All

Look atcha go!! Nice looking brisket and look at the smoke ring That does deserve
and Fish you got me with that pic of Jeff lol i was like shit i cant get away from that damn site ahaha
Old 11-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Sheepdog / Zombie Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALX View Post
you were a gasser/elecrtic user then...
Yep, I have a MES 30.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:14 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Quote:
I'm blaming the delirium that I had earlier today!
Bro..I don't blame ya. Still a beautiful hunk of beef. Sometimes I think comp cooking has ruined some of my appreciation of the "good things"
Old 11-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Sheepdog / Zombie Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
Bro..I don't blame ya. Still a beautiful hunk of beef. Sometimes I think comp cooking has ruined some of my appreciation of the "good things"
No hurt feelings, I am a little embarrassed that I let that get served. I still don't know how I ended up slicing it that way. I guess I had my mind elsewhere, oh well, no one complained, they were too busy stuffing themselves full!

Honestly, I appreciate the input. I wouldn't mind getting into a comp or two someday. If I don't gain 400lbs "practicing!"

Old 11-09-2010, 07:21 AM
smoke 'em if ya got 'em

blues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To All
blues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To All

nice brisky.
22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
& rotisserator
12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
my music recordings-
http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Old 11-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Bourbon bifocals

Uncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To All
Uncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To All

Great brisky work! Killer smoke ring man. You like how the UDS worked for ya? I have had the chance to cook on one, once or twice. I'm a believer. I too, have briskys cut along the grain plastered on the pages of S-M.
I blame it on marinating the chef, the rough overnight cooking circumstances
Rocked this one Hani

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
Clint Eastwood

Old 11-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Rub Mixer

BigPoppaDW Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & SmokingBigPoppaDW Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & SmokingBigPoppaDW Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & Smoking

That is very nice looking.

Char-Griller Outlaw w-SFB & (mods)
30" Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse
Old 11-09-2010, 08:50 AM
PBR me ASAP

Meat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To All
Meat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To All

First smoke on the UDS and he turns out something like this? Just like a seasoned pro I tell ya

Great job, and what a smoke ring. brother. Great job.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Up in Smoke

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Excellent lookin brisketLooks like the drum is gonna work just fine for ya!

As for cutting across the grain...its much easier to see the grain when the meat is neked...Ill make a couple of shallow cuts on the end of the flat before I apply the rub...this will show me the way after the smoke is done...

Old 11-09-2010, 09:13 AM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

Beautiful hunk of bovine right there!!

You should have seen some of the briskets I've done in the past... cut wrong, cooked wrong... it happens! Man you should be proud of that one!

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com
Old 11-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Sheepdog / Zombie Killer

Thanks guys, I appreciate the points and the advice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Beef