Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Homemade Smokers

Homemade Smokers Be It Charcoal, Gas, Electric Or Stick Burner. Lets See Them Here.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 first time i tried brisket
Last Post: Otis857
Posted On: 09-19-2017
Replies: 6
Views: 98
0 New guy from central Texas
Last Post: crusty ol salt
Replies: 21
Views: 193
0 Picanha SV style
Last Post: Otis857
Replies: 6
Views: 70
0 So I have a few brisket pics
Last Post: MossyMO
Posted On: 09-18-2017
Replies: 22
Views: 219
0 Go “Loins” !
Last Post: Smooth E Smoke
Posted On: 09-18-2017
Replies: 17
Views: 431
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,342 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,576 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 638,291 Polls 36
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 12-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

new smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teachernew smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teachernew smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teachernew smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teachernew smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teachernew smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacher
Default Rotisserie Motor

May be making my tank smoker into a rotisserie. I'm having a hard time finding info on what I need for a motor to run it. Anyone have any knowledge or experience with rotisseries? Or any advice on where to find the right motor?

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
Modified Chargriller RF
250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 12-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Smokin Cowboy

mulepackin Is  A Name Known To All
mulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To All

Haven't done any rotisseries, but I've done a lot of looking into motors. Check out the Grainger catalog (online) there will certainly be a Dayton gear reduction motor to suit your needs. Once you find what you need, check Ebay. I've come across many low horsepower, low speed, 120V motors there.

Beef. It's whats for dinner.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Let's Rock Louie!

Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All
Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All

My Dad has a ol spit setup using a electric mobile home auger...

Old 12-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

new smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teachernew smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teachernew smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teachernew smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teachernew smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teachernew smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacher

Any idea what size of motor would be needed?

Modified Chargriller RF

Old 12-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Smokin Cowboy

mulepackin Is  A Name Known To All
mulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To All

Depends on what you plan on rotating on a regular basis; a chicken, or a whole hog? Heres a few examples at each end of the spectrum:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

http://cgi.ebay.com/DAYTON-4Z523-115...ht_3944wt_1026

Beef. It's whats for dinner.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Liquid Smoker

DangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Depending on whether you want to use A/C or more self contained D/C. If considering the later, you can look into RV slide out motors. These are gear motors that are ratio-ed to an applicable speed for a rotisserie.

I've seen them at RV surplus centers for around $75. Add a switch and deep cell battery to your unit and your good to go.

I know this place carries them. http://bontragers.com/

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Last edited by DangerDan; 12-19-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:41 PM
women love my meat...

aczeller Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacheraczeller Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacheraczeller Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacheraczeller Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacheraczeller Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacheraczeller Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacher

depending on what you plan on spinning with it, i would either opt for a Honda V-tec 4-banger or a 572 chevy big block... I wish. lol

another thing to think about too is your bearing/bushing setup(s). if it were me, i would opt for some brass or bronze bushings, then use stainless steel for the rotating rod. the dissimilar metals will act as a self-lubricating assembly and will work great for what you need.

as far as the motors go, i would also go with Grainger or MSC Industrial. either one would have what you need for the motors, as well as a gear box to match it. like others have said, i would size the gear box according to what you want to rotate with it. personally, i think that 139 RPM for the final drive ratio is a bit high, but that's just me. I would opt for something a little closer to 2-30 or so. think about it... especially in a smoker, that piece of meat is going to be in there for a while with indirect heat. does it really need to spin more than a few times per minute? hell... for a 1/15 HP motor at only 11.5:1 ratio, i wonder if it could even turn a whole hog safely. hell, at that speed, it'd probably start flinging drippings agains the inside of the cooker. lol

if it were me, i would opt for a 1/10 HP motor at 1750 RPM with a 80:1 or 90:1 ratio gear box. Then, for added fun, throw a speed controller (basically a dimmer switch for lights, but rated for motor use), and you can have even more control over the exact rate of rotation. by the time you are done, you are probably looking at around $200-$250, but that setup would probably outlast your pit.

Later,
Andy
Former Lineup:
-Charbroil Santa Fe grill
-1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
-1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
-enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!
Old 12-19-2010, 07:53 PM
PBR me ASAP

Meat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To All
Meat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To All

I have a great heavy duty silage motor I plan on using for a rotisserie and was trying to find something comparable on ebay. Maybe some of these would work for you?

How many rpm's you lookin for? And how much you lookin to spend on it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/PELLET-STOVE-AUG...item4155633b41
Old 12-20-2010, 04:29 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

Ok, I've looked at some gear reduction motors and speed controls for $250-$300. I've also seen some pits online that look like they use a motor and and a large pulley to ratio it down.

I saw that one site said they turn their pit at 1 RPM. I should be able to use an electric motor and a large pulley to ratio it down and this should work like a gear reduction setup? Am I totally off on this? Just wonder if I can get a setup like this put together for less than the $250-$300? Thoughts on this theory?

Modified Chargriller RF

Old 12-20-2010, 04:31 PM
PBR me ASAP

Meat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To All
Meat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by new smoke View Post
Ok, I've looked at some gear reduction motors and speed controls for $250-$300. I've also seen some pits online that look like they use a motor and and a large pulley to ratio it down.

I saw that one site said they turn their pit at 1 RPM. I should be able to use an electric motor and a large pulley to ratio it down and this should work like a gear reduction setup? Am I totally off on this? Just wonder if I can get a setup like this put together for less than the $250-$300? Thoughts on this theory?
Not sure how much weight or strain would be put on it, but you can get a great auger that feeds pellet stoves. 1 RPM and up to around 6 or so. They are on ebay all day long. "auger pellet stove"
Old 12-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Hunter View Post
Not sure how much weight or strain would be put on it, but you can get a great auger that feeds pellet stoves. 1 RPM and up to around 6 or so. They are on ebay all day long. "auger pellet stove"
I'm thinking that if the rotisserie is balanced right, then there shouldn't be to much weight on it. Right?

Is 100 in-lb of torque much?

Modified Chargriller RF

Old 12-20-2010, 04:46 PM
<Worlds Strongest Button

Mikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To All
Mikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To All

You might want to give Lennox Hearth Products a look. They make auger motors for their pellet stoves. I've looked around at their site and can't figure out how to get a replacement. Here's a link to one of their units. The motor specs are in the upper right portion of the pdf. 1.28 rpm is pretty close to what you're looking for, I think. You might have to give them a call.

http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/..._506035-03.pdf

New Braunfels Bandera
New Braunfels Hondo
4-22 1/2" Weber Kettles
1-26" Weber Kettle
24"X72" Reverse Flow- Made in the U.S.A. by Me
Navy Corpsman-USMC '69-'73 Semper Fi
Life's too short to dance with ugly Women :)
Old 12-20-2010, 04:58 PM
PBR me ASAP

Quote:
I'm thinking that if the rotisserie is balanced right, then there shouldn't be to much weight on it. Right?

Is 100 in-lb of torque much?
100 in # aint much. 12 inch pound equals 1 foot pound so a bit over 8 foot pounds. If you ever worked on a car, thats less than is required to tighten the bolts on a chevy oil pan.

What are you lookin at that has 100 inch pounds?
Old 12-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

Quote:
100 in # aint much. 12 inch pound equals 1 foot pound so a bit over 8 foot pounds. If you ever worked on a car, thats less than is required to tighten the bolts on a chevy oil pan.

What are you lookin at that has 100 inch pounds?
This one was on Amazon. Down in the technical specs.
http://www.amazon.com/Pellet-Stove-A.../dp/B0032D26I6

The largest I saw for the Dayton gear motors was 250 in-lb.

Modified Chargriller RF

Old 12-20-2010, 05:22 PM
PBR me ASAP

Quote:
This one was on Amazon. Down in the technical specs.
http://www.amazon.com/Pellet-Stove-A.../dp/B0032D26I6

The largest I saw for the Dayton gear motors was 250 in-lb.
Hmmmmmm. In all honesty, I don't know if that would suffice for turning a rotisserie or not I didn't see any specs on the ones listed on ebay. They are the same ones you posted here but no specs that I saw. How big a rotisserie you talkin about? How many pounds of meat at max?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aczeller View Post
depending on what you plan on spinning with it, i would either opt for a Honda V-tec 4-banger or a 572 chevy big block... I wish. lol

another thing to think about too is your bearing/bushing setup(s). if it were me, i would opt for some brass or bronze bushings, then use stainless steel for the rotating rod. the dissimilar metals will act as a self-lubricating assembly and will work great for what you need.

as far as the motors go, i would also go with Grainger or MSC Industrial. either one would have what you need for the motors, as well as a gear box to match it. like others have said, i would size the gear box according to what you want to rotate with it. personally, i think that 139 RPM for the final drive ratio is a bit high, but that's just me. I would opt for something a little closer to 2-30 or so. think about it... especially in a smoker, that piece of meat is going to be in there for a while with indirect heat. does it really need to spin more than a few times per minute? hell... for a 1/15 HP motor at only 11.5:1 ratio, i wonder if it could even turn a whole hog safely. hell, at that speed, it'd probably start flinging drippings agains the inside of the cooker. lol

if it were me, i would opt for a 1/10 HP motor at 1750 RPM with a 80:1 or 90:1 ratio gear box. Then, for added fun, throw a speed controller (basically a dimmer switch for lights, but rated for motor use), and you can have even more control over the exact rate of rotation. by the time you are done, you are probably looking at around $200-$250, but that setup would probably outlast your pit.

Later,
Andy
I may opt for the BB chevy! But I may have a splatter issue.

The double 500 gallon pit, or pits, are headed towards rotisserieville. Our local welding shop owner, talked me into it. As far as the

You have a place that I can get the 1/10 HP you speak of? That is starting to sound like on of my best options.

Haven't gotten into bushings and set-up yet. Need to get the trailer ready and go from there. I'll pass these suggestions along to the welding guy. He said he has built one with a rotisserie before.

Modified Chargriller RF

Old 12-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

Quote:
How big a rotisserie you talkin about? How many pounds of meat at max?
Well, it's going to be a lot. Two 500 gallon tanks. The cooking chambers will be 4'x5', each. Hope to get 6 baskets in each. Going to be a chit-load of capacity. I'll have to sit down and figure some possible maximums.

Modified Chargriller RF

Old 12-20-2010, 07:46 PM
slicin and dicin

Jimh Is  A Name Known To All
Jimh Is  A Name Known To AllJimh Is  A Name Known To AllJimh Is  A Name Known To AllJimh Is  A Name Known To AllJimh Is  A Name Known To AllJimh Is  A Name Known To AllJimh Is  A Name Known To AllJimh Is  A Name Known To AllJimh Is  A Name Known To All

if you can get your hands on an old coal stoker gear reduction unit you can use just about any electric motor.if you know anyone that works in the hvac or plumbing trades they may know where one of these are.They are heavy duty and made for the long haul
23"weber kettle

Old 12-20-2010, 07:51 PM
PBR me ASAP

Quote:
Well, it's going to be a lot. Two 500 gallon tanks. The cooking chambers will be 4'x5', each. Hope to get 6 baskets in each. Going to be a chit-load of capacity. I'll have to sit down and figure some possible maximums.
Wow. Thats a big rotisserie. JimH mentioned a coal stoker reduction gear. I know someone that has one. I could ask him if its for sale. He also has other heavy duty reduction setups from various farm applications like unloader augers and such. For something that large, you are going to need something big. I did some browsing and most of them bigger rotisserie setups are using motors upwards of 600 inch pounds to turn them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Homemade Smokers