Another precision engineered cold smoke build from 'bodge-it & son'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another precision engineered cold smoke build from 'bodge-it & son'

So bolstered by the success of the smoke-Vark, I decided to make something specifically for cheese, but also for use in the outlaw.
    So needs to run for 3-4 hours with pretty reasonable smoke output.

Same building materials as last time. Frying pan spatter-guard mesh and cheap bendy wire :-)

Start with a piece of mesh about 12cm wide by ? long (haven't measured it yet lmao)

Cut pieces of wire that are about 1/2 - 1 inch longer than the width of the mesh.
    Then thread the wire through the mesh and bend the ends over to lock them in place.

Repeat at regular intervals till you've got about this many bits of wire - about 7-8. (you gotta love all this precision).

Then mark out into 1/3rd lengthwise. In my case 4cm in from each edge.

Use a straight edge to bend the sides at sharp right angles (the threaded wire holds the mesh in place).

Next cut pieces to go at the ends.

Bind end pieces with wire. Kinda like stitching, but for men

Repeat at the other end.

Now it just needs some legs and it's finished.
    For the legs I doubled over long pieces of wire and twisted to make long bits of double strength wire.
    I threaded this thick wire through the 'ribs' along each side.
    I had intended to give each side three legs. But it didn't quite work out like that

Dodgy looking as they are the legs are actually quite sturdy and exactly the right height for tealight lighting :-)

I actually intend to stand this in a foil tray when smoking - so the irregularity of the legs doesn't matter.

If I make another one of these - I have a much better idea for the legs (yep, that's not hard).

But this seems to work. I haven't filled and tested it yet, but should give me the right length burn and with it being quite deep fairly good smoke volume as well.

The main purpose of this 'build' was to produce a cold smoke generator specifically for cheese that only cost £2 - $3 and only takes an hour or so to make.
    Job done
    Attached Files
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-18-2011, 06:52 AM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Your going to catch your workshop on fire one of these days.......

Other than that warning.... Nice Job Mate
    sigpic

Comment

CA, you are going to run the UK out of spatter-guards if you keep this up...

Nice work!!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I'm thinking about buying stock from the splatter screen company.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
          Your going to catch your workshop on fire one of these days.......

Other than that warning.... Nice Job Mate
          you mean the workshop I used to make fireworks and other pyrotechnical devices in ?
          lol trust me, if I was going to set fire to it, it would have been 20 years ago, back when things did, occasionally, spontaneously combust, and we'll say no more of that

Actually this was made with leftover mesh from the smoke-vark build, so technically, didn't cost me a single penny :-)

Also it's 23cm or 9 inches in length :-)
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Burn one down baby!! Let's see what it will do!
            "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

Got a couple of kilos of cheese in the fridge for smoking. So I'll try it out this week sometime.

Not much point setting it off overnight - as it's only meant to burn for 4 hours.
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

WHAT....No Blood this time?!?!

TJ
                - http://www.AMAZENPRODUCTS.COM
                - 40" MES
                - Char-Broil The Big Easy Infrared Turkey Fryer
                - Stainless Steel BBQ Grill
                - Gander #12 Grinder
                - Cabelas 20# Stuffer
                - Gander Meat Mixer

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                  you mean the workshop I used to make fireworks and other pyrotechnical devices in ?
                  lol trust me, if I was going to set fire to it, it would have been 20 years ago, back when things did, occasionally, spontaneously combust, and we'll say no more of that
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by TJohnson View Post
                    WHAT....No Blood this time?!?!

TJ
                    Nah my skin's pretty tough and there wasn't that much binding.
                    It was the bracing yourself against the edges to pull the wire that did the damage on the big gadget.
                    Actually from a 'sticking sharp bits of metal into you' point of view this is a much better thing to make, as well as being more practical for most people.

If someone wants to try out cold smoking without any significant cash layout - this is an ideal thing to make :-)
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I wonder if you could use something similar to "hardware cloth" which it a mesh used in some plaster applications here in the states. Bigger holes (1/8"), and more rigid. You could lay that screening in the bottom, instead of "sewing" it together.

Just a thought, now that I have a few ideas ruminating........
                      Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

bigger holes absolutely no use to you.
                        To make sawdust smoulder it has to be very fine. so would just fall through the holes.

I tried a couple of things initially before I got the right sized mesh. I figure anything much bigger than 1mm is going to be too big.
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                          bigger holes absolutely no use to you.
                          To make sawdust smoulder it has to be very fine. so would just fall through the holes.

I tried a couple of things initially before I got the right sized mesh. I figure anything much bigger than 1mm is going to be too big.
                          I guess I was thinking of something like this:

Cut up and folded into a open topped container, and lined with the finer screen material. It would be a bit sturdier, and have a bit more of an engineered look. Just mostly thinking outloud.
                          Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Love your nails IC...............

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                              Love your nails IC...............
                              thats funny
                              sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                              members mark upright propane smoker
                              kingsford bbq
                              23"weber kettle

Comment

Working...