Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 08-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Mums secret recpie

Pandemonium Is  A Name Known To All
Default Need container to store 50 lbs of flour

Just figured I would ask here for suggestions on a cheap decent way to store this monster bag of dough maker. From what I read I think 40 quarts will hold the fifty lbs of flour.
Anything Wallyworld would have I can use?

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 08-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Administrator

bbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To All

55 quart coolers work well. Bugs and mice being the biggest problems.

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Old 08-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Tinkerer of Smoke

MichChef Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherMichChef Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherMichChef Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherMichChef Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherMichChef Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherMichChef Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherMichChef Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherMichChef Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacher

Does it need to be one container? Two 5 gallon buckets would be 10 gallons or 40 quarts and you can buy Gamma Seal Lids for them that screw on and have a gasket that seals them air tight.

See the Gamma Seal Lids here:

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/gam..._products.aspx
Old 08-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Mums secret recpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichChef View Post
Does it need to be one container? Two 5 gallon buckets would be 10 gallons or 40 quarts and you can buy Gamma Seal Lids for them that screw on and have a gasket that seals them air tight.

See the Gamma Seal Lids here:

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/gam..._products.aspx
Those look good but this four thing is getting expensive lol
Old 08-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Hunt it, Fish it, EAT IT!

WALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To All
WALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To All

Pandi - we bought a set at Sams a few months back. The biggest one will hold almost 50# = 19" long, 10" wide, 20" tall. Has a great lid. We just buy the 25#'ers at Sams. I don't know if it would hold two.. but it would be close.

Here's the kicker... Sam's isn't carrying them anymore, but went to Petsmart a few weeks ago and seen the EXACT same container for dog food... not yank'en yer chain, brother.

Here ya go
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2755338

Check out their site - http://www.buddeez.com/ ... hell, they even have charcoal bins!!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Mums secret recpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALLE View Post
Pandi - we bought a set at Sams a few months back. The biggest one will hold almost 50# = 19" long, 10" wide, 20" tall. Has a great lid. We just buy the 25#'ers at Sams. I don't know if it would hold two.. but it would be close.

Here's the kicker... Sam's isn't carrying them anymore, but went to Petsmart a few weeks ago and seen the EXACT same container for dog food... not yank'en yer chain, brother.

Here ya go
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2755338

Check out their site - http://www.buddeez.com/ ... hell, they even have charcoal bins!!
Yikes those are 20$ each and I need 2 I have 50 lb bag lol
Old 08-16-2011, 10:31 PM
Sous Vide Free Zone

IrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To All
IrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To AllIrishChef Is  A Name Known To All

Buy a 15 gallon rubbermaid garbage can with a lid, and line it with a similar sized food grade bag.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:37 PM
Mums secret recpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishChef View Post
Buy a 15 gallon rubbermaid garbage can with a lid, and line it with a similar sized food grade bag.
Was thinking of using a bag like you said but how bout using home depot buckets so I can get a good seal unlike a trash can?
Old 08-17-2011, 06:08 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium View Post
Was thinking of using a bag like you said but how bout using home depot buckets so I can get a good seal unlike a trash can?
Sure... just use the appropriate sized food safe bag inside.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:13 AM
Lovin' this sausage gig!

ptt49er Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherptt49er Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherptt49er Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherptt49er Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherptt49er Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherptt49er Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherptt49er Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherptt49er Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacher

Why not buy a bunch of gallon size zip loc bags? I can't see it taking more than a box of bags. Then you could put them in the buckets and only have to open one bag at a time.

"Okay Hunny, so my hobby is collecting other hobbies. Atleast I'm well rounded!"
Old 08-17-2011, 06:14 AM
Mistfit ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All
Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All

I dunno.. Why have a big container to hold 50lbs. of flour when you can make (5) 10lb. vacuum seal bags?? Then that would not take up as much space.. Plus it will keep fresh, not pick up any odors or flavors.. Just thinking out loud..

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Old 08-17-2011, 06:20 AM
smoke 'em if ya got 'em

blues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To All
blues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishChef View Post
i was thinking that or a 30 gallon. it's worked for restaurants for years.
you can also just wrap the original bag in a food grade bag & itkeep in the chest freezer if you have room.
22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
& rotisserator
12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
my music recordings-
http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Old 08-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Mums secret recpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt49er View Post
Why not buy a bunch of gallon size zip loc bags? I can't see it taking more than a box of bags. Then you could put them in the buckets and only have to open one bag at a time.
Those bags always seem to bust open in my experience with rice anyway and what a pain trying to fill 20 bags lol
Old 08-17-2011, 08:28 AM
Mums secret recpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
Sure... just use the appropriate sized food safe bag inside.
Ok I heard about gassing so wasnt sure if bag would stop it.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Mums secret recpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
I dunno.. Why have a big container to hold 50lbs. of flour when you can make (5) 10lb. vacuum seal bags?? Then that would not take up as much space.. Plus it will keep fresh, not pick up any odors or flavors.. Just thinking out loud..
Probably good idea, just sounds like a pain and wasnt sure if it would clump up when vacked
Old 08-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Pit Master

Whisky Fish Is  A Name Known To All
Whisky Fish Is  A Name Known To AllWhisky Fish Is  A Name Known To AllWhisky Fish Is  A Name Known To AllWhisky Fish Is  A Name Known To All

Don't know what your goal is here. If it's long term storage, milled flour has a very limited shelf life. If you want long term storage look at whole wheat berries and buy yourself a grain mill. Whole berries can last for many years. Flour can't. You'll want to use it within the year. Also Whole wheat flour is shorter than white AP because the germ oils can get rancid on you. I think it's like 8 months for whole wheat flour.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Mums secret recpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Fish View Post
Don't know what your goal is here. If it's long term storage, milled flour has a very limited shelf life. If you want long term storage look at whole wheat berries and buy yourself a grain mill. Whole berries can last for many years. Flour can't. You'll want to use it within the year. Also Whole wheat flour is shorter than white AP because the germ oils can get rancid on you. I think it's like 8 months for whole wheat flour.
It says its good for a year with proper storage so thats what im shooting for. Its way more than I will use in a year im betting so I want it to last longer if possible. Some places say two years if stored right.
I could only find high gluten in 50lb bags so was stuck having to go this route.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:42 AM
Pit Master

davidmcg Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherdavidmcg Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherdavidmcg Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherdavidmcg Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherdavidmcg Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherdavidmcg Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherdavidmcg Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas-Hunter View Post

Frak Ken, ya beat me to the suggestion.

One thing I might add. If you decide to just dump it in a bucket or another type of container, rather than using a food grade liner, there is something better that long term food so-called "experts" suggest -- a mylar type liner. Most long term and survival food storage systems for grains and nuts use mylar inside the containers to shield the food from both light and other crap from causing mold build up. They also use oxygen scrubber packs. The O2 packs are sort of like those little bags that soak up moisture. But in this case they pull in oxygen and release nitrogen. They are slick, if you put grains and nuts in a canning jar, toss one of these in and then put the canning gasket and lid on, you can sit there and watch it suck all the air out of the jar and hear the lid snap creating an air tight vacuum seal. FEMA uses mylar and oxygen scrubber packs in all their food storage systems. USDA uses it also. Thats how they store the stuff for 25+ years.

David McGuire

McLouth, KS

Retired/disabled Wyandotte County, KS Deputy Sheriff

U.S. Veteran

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once. "
-William Shakespeare
Old 08-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Mums secret recpie

Good to know Dave, you would think Sams Club would sell this kind of stuff wth.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Food & Cooking Safety