No announcement yet.

Yoder YS640 modifications with pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks MossyMO and I did check that out but I usually smoke at 180 to 225 and would like to see some data in that area. I sure do like how solid of a unit they build and wish there was someone local to go and see it.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Savannahsmoker View Post
      Thanks MossyMO and I did check that out but I usually smoke at 180 to 225 and would like to see some data in that area. I sure do like how solid of a unit they build and wish there was someone local to go and see it.
      Maybe Wingman will notice this post and put a Yoder Pellet Owner Map on his site for owners to make a "Push Pin" of their location if they wish too...
      --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
      www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Where does one go to buy the ys640 model and how much are they?

Comment

Originally posted by dscott View Post
          Where does one go to buy the ys640 model and how much are they?
          Call/email Don at All things BBQ. Here is the link to the YS640 website. If you click the contact link you can email

Cost 1299.00

615 W Douglas Ave
          Wichita, KS 67213-1456
          (316) 440-3950

http://www.atbbq.com/store/show/ys640_pellet.html

Good luck!! It is a great pit!!!
          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
          Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Well worth the money too !!!!!!

Sent from my bad ass iPhone using Tapatalk
            Lang 60" deluxe
            Yoder YS640
            Masterbuilt 30"
            Masterbuilt 40"

Comment

Just thought I would share this, while it isn't a mod it is a good suggestion for pellet grill owners that I thought would fit well under this thread.

My hunting dog "Grissom" is a Golden Retriever and sheds quite a bit and he spends quite bit of time with me in the pickup cab (stick with me here and I will bring this fact on track to the subject)...

Since purchasing the Yoder we have been using the the wet/dry vac for vacuuming ashes out of the belly of the cooking chamber and the burn pot.

A few weeks ago I went to clean out the interior of the pickup and went directly for the seats first with the vacuum and immediately noticed I was leaving dark black marks down my tan pickup seats.

I did get the marks out of the seats with some scrubbing but this can be avoided by purchasing another designated nozzle for the vacuum or getting a $20/$30 small portable wet/dry vacuum for dirty chores. We chose the small portable wet/dry to have for Yoder cleaning.
              www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Pyro, just a thought, how hot does that chimney get? Mavericks do not like to get hot!
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
                  For the Maverick display I am think of sticking a magnet to the back of the display and sticking it to the racks or frame... anyone have thoughts on if the magnet will screw with a Maverick?
                  Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                  Pyro, just a thought, how hot does that chimney get? Mavericks do not like to get hot!
                  Ditto...
                  www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Hello, new guy from Orlando! Got me a new grill and wasted no time. Here it is for some more mods, enjoy. BTW this is a cut and paste from a post I made on another forum. Hope you find it useful.

Firstly I didn't want to be tied down to and outlet and didn't want to drag out cords every time I used the smoker so I went to lowes and found a cheap winding extension cord with a four outlet gang plug in the middle of the handle for thirteen dollars. I zipped tied the thing to the side shelf on the back, VIOLA! Power on the go, easy to wrap up AND stays with the cart.

Secondly, I have dogs and they are chewers, so to be sure I mounted the cord up along the back of the cord with stick on points and zipped tied the cord along the back to next to the winding extension. Crazy right?

Thirdly, I replaced the wheels. The wheels on this thing are much to small and I couldn't see spending 700 bucks on a comp cart so I came up with the next best thing. Bigger wheels.
                    The back wheels where easy, they just replace the old ones on the hub. Two minute job. The front, that's a whole different story. You have to drill your grill to do it. That's the crazy part. Any how, the wheels that I replaced the back with are flat free and 16 inches. The front wheels are flat free, locking wheels that lock the wheel AND the spin so that the grill wont move. The hole for your old wheels has to be drilled to 5/8ths of and inch which is a metric 14. You will need 8 5/8ths washers, two 5/8ths split washers and two m-14 20 nuts. I found these at tractor supply. You will need a 5/8ths drill bit. Using a hand drill, prop up your grill using jack stands and drill out the old holes. Put the four washers on the stalk, insert through the hole you drilled, put slit washer on the stalk on the other side and wrench down with a socket wrench. Now the old wheels had about a 3/8ths slant from back/big wheel side to the front/small wheel side. Using this set up the slant is about 7/16ths. If you want it to be perfect, add more washers. Now my grill rolls like a champ, is higher so it is at a better working level AND will roll over things with an eight inch clearance. MUCH BETTER. I will warn you that 16 inch wheels encroach into your bottom shelf space AND seem a little "loose" but that is just because of the bigger diameter. They are on solid and work fine. I thing it is because there is not a solid axel from one side to the other so I am going to look into making it a single axel but it really is fine just as it is.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

I have some other things in mind, will show and tell when I get them done!

Spiff

Comment

That yoder is toooo clean... get it dirty!! Nice mods!!

Welcome from Dayton!! Now go smoke some meat!!
                      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                      Yoder YS640
                      Weber Genesis
                      Weber 18.5" Kettle
                      Weber Performer
                      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
                        Maybe Wingman will notice this post and put a Yoder Pellet Owner Map on his site for owners to make a "Push Pin" of their location if they wish too...
                        That's a good idea. I currently have a Yoder Owner page where folks send me a mug shot of them with their Yoder (most with drink in hand) and some thoughts on their impression of the cooker. It's in my main menu.
                        Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                        Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                        SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                        Yoder Wichita
                        Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                        Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                        Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
                          That yoder is toooo clean... get it dirty!! Nice mods!!

Welcome from Dayton!! Now go smoke some meat!!

NOOOO! Must keep baby shiny and new!!!!!

Comment

I use
                            velcro.

Comment

Pyro & Spiff, Nice Mods. Mine is stationary, so the better wheels aren't necessary, but I do like the 2nd shelf mount & conduit fittings.

I've been thinking of a way to make ash clean out easier between smokes on my Yoder. Thats the only PITA I have with it. Im thinking about cutting a square opening on the heat plate over the fire box and hinge mounting a metal cover of the same gauge as the heat plate. Then I can pull the foil back, lift the cover and vacuum the ash out of the fire box easier than wrestling the plate out each time. Have you guys thought of any different ideas for making clean out any easier? Too bad they dont have a bottom mounted ash clean out door.
                              Mike
                              Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                              POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                              Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
                                Pyro & Spiff, Nice Mods. Mine is stationary, so the better wheels aren't necessary, but I do like the 2nd shelf mount & conduit fittings.

I've been thinking of a way to make ash clean out easier between smokes on my Yoder. Thats the only PITA I have with it. Im thinking about cutting a square opening on the heat plate over the fire box and hinge mounting a metal cover of the same gauge as the heat plate. Then I can pull the foil back, lift the cover and vacuum the ash out of the fire box easier than wrestling the plate out each time. Have you guys thought of any different ideas for making clean out any easier? Too bad they dont have a bottom mounted ash clean out door.
                                I had given thought to making an insert box made of sheet metal that fits in the space around the fire box and maybe the damper side. Then I would just lift the box(s) out for cleanings. I tried using foil but it was too time consuming. Of course this wouldn't eliminate having to take out the heat plate but would certainly make cleaning easier as I would just dump the ashes out on my lawn so I wouldn't have to drag out the vacuum. I might try and modify a cake pan or cookie sheet to do the same thing. Is something to think about...

Comment

Working...
                                X