Apple Cider Molasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Cider Molasses

Apple cider mollasses is something Meathunter posted about in his canned goodies here: http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18738 Said he'd post it, but it got my curiousity up. Did some research and got the old wheels a spinnin'. With his blessing, here's what I did.

According to my research, you boil the cider down to 1/7th the original volume. In other words, it takes 7 gallons to make 1 gallon. With that in mind, I started with 3 1/2 gallons of cider to make a 1/2 gallon. The good stuff. Not from concentrate.

Measured out a 1/2 gallon into a 15 qt stock pan. Marked a wooden spoon with the old pocket knife, that's where I want to end up, and dumped 3 more gallons in. Took about 15 hours. But, I did turn it down and got about 5 hours of sleep. Didn't think it was very thick when I got down to the mark, so I let it boil more. Next time I won't. It thickens as it cools. Should have gotten 4 pints. Got 3 1/2. (Those are 1/2 pint jars in the pic) It's thick!!!

Supposed to be shelf stable as it is. Put the lids on while hot and let the jars seal themselves. Should be good indefinitely. The taste is incredible. (Had to lick off the fingers a few times) and can't wait to use it. Got a few ideas up my sleeve and will keep you posted.

Sorry I didn't get better pics, but really wanted to share it with you folks.
    Attached Files
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

With my blessing LOL
    Looks just like the way I did it Ray. It's amazing how sweet that stuff is and how concentrated the apple flavor is.
    Surprisingly simple to do as well. Opens up a bunch of new doors for its use
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Nice! I might have to try that as well.

sigpic
      www.CarriageStone.com

Comment

wow that does bring a few idea's to mind! Is it the same consistancy as molasses or honey? In other words can you drizzle it in thin strands?
        BBQ catering
        Competition BBQ team
        "Practical BBQ" Author

Comment

Who needs BBQ sauce? thread a few lines across my slab, please! mmm! Pancakes? Hell with the maple...!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Fourthwind View Post
            wow that does bring a few idea's to mind! Is it the same consistancy as molasses or honey? In other words can you drizzle it in thin strands?
            Oh yeah. It's as thick as molasses. You can drizzle it. Just tried it on a cracker. (Only thing I had handy) Had to lick off the spoon too. Oh darn. Lol.

You all know how well apples and pork go together.....that's all I'm saying for now.
            S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

GOSM Propane
            New Braunfels Bandera
            UniFlame Gas Grill
            Lil Chief

Comment

Now that would give jerky some tang! Hmmmmmm!
              Nice doins Ray, onna de list.
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

so you had 3 gallons of cider vapour (with the alcohol) floating round your house.

Hope you didn't take the car out

So it's just boiled down cider ?

Very interesting - cider is cheap...
                I think I'll pick up a 2 litre bottle next time I'm near a supermarket :-)
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
                  Oh yeah. It's as thick as molasses. You can drizzle it. Just tried it on a cracker. (Only thing I had handy) Had to lick off the spoon too. Oh darn. Lol.

You all know how well apples and pork go together.....that's all I'm saying for now.
                  I think we are on the same page!
                  BBQ catering
                  Competition BBQ team
                  "Practical BBQ" Author

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                    so you had 3 gallons of cider vapour (with the alcohol) floating round your house.

Hope you didn't take the car out

So it's just boiled down cider ?

Very interesting - cider is cheap...
                    I think I'll pick up a 2 litre bottle next time I'm near a supermarket :-)
                    Yep, just boiled down cider. Reduced to 1/7th the original volume.

Should I have distilled those vapors? Hmm....Had enough beer in me, that driving was out of the question anyway.

This cider wasn't cheap. It was 6.00 per gallon, costing 24.00 to make. To buy this amount on-line would be around 40.00 + S&H. So you can bet, I'll be watching for cheap cider.

Thanks for the comments folks. Give it a try. Not only are the possibilites endless for BBQ, there are tons of recipes on-line.
                    S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    UniFlame Gas Grill
                    Lil Chief

Comment

well the stuff I drink works out about $2 a litre.
                      So I figger if I use the cheap nasty crap the tramps (hobos) and teenagers drink for this stuff - should be a bit cheaper.

I'm only planning on making a small amount to start with :-)
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thanks Ray for posting this. I can see a killer BBQ sauce made from this stuff!
                        "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                          well the stuff I drink works out about $2 a litre.
                          So I figger if I use the cheap nasty crap the tramps (hobos) and teenagers drink for this stuff - should be a bit cheaper.

I'm only planning on making a small amount to start with :-)
                          Not sure if you're thinking of the same thing. This isn't alcohol. It's just the juice from apples. This was fresh and in the refrigerated section. Don't use apple "juice" from off a shelf, either. That's made from concentrate and who knows what else in it.
                          S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                          New Braunfels Bandera
                          UniFlame Gas Grill
                          Lil Chief

Comment

right I did this last night.

And I'm thinking your cider is different to mine.

I had to go down to 93.5 % reduction before it went dark, nearer 1/20th original volume.
                            To be honest I was stsrting to think I was just going to end up with an empty saucepan.

so:
                            is the cider you used
                            1) sweet
                            2) alcoholic
                            3) or just some kind of apple juice ?
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Oh, my! I have got to make some of this up and bake a batch of beans with it

and consider it stolen!
                              sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

Working...
                              X