Upgrading the smoker with wifes approval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading the smoker with wifes approval

My wife has told me it is time to spend some money on my old sausage smoker and make it more of a set it and forget type smoker like our MES’s. Right now it runs on propane that I also have a regulator set up for smoking in warmer temps, 40º and cooler. This set up has worked great for me smoking sausage -10º to 10º. Summer weather is just too warm for my set up.

Since we relocated last year (home building and new job) I have not had a chance to process and smoke the 9 deer in our freezer (185 lbs. of ground venison, the rest is back straps and roasts). Now I need my sausage smoker to be efficient in the warmer temps. I have already purchased a “Big Kahuna” Smoke Daddy - smoke generator for warmer temp smoking. Now I am trying to figure out if I should look at electric or propane with a thermostat. Electric seems the easiest, with not having a pilot light that will get blown out. But first I wanted to get others ideas and maybe get pictures of what they have done or possibly web links of what I should be looking at. Cost will be a consideration, but having my wife’s blessing really helps open up the budget.

Below I will post a few old pics of my sausage smoker to give you an idea of what I am working with. It used to be a 7’ tall commercial stainless steel refrigerator that I acquired for free and believe it or not, it was still working well when I tore it apart. When I received it, it had no shelves so a buddy and I fabricated and framed expanded aluminum shelves that are approx. 23 ½” X 23 ½”. There are 6 shelves and the smoker has room for 11.

Any thoughts you have are appreciated and thank you in advance.
    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    www.OwensBBQ.com

Electric will be the easiest to regulate... Let me think on it... Im sure theres a temp prob that will work with a gas valve with a + - of less than 5*
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Texas-Hunter
      Here are some kits I have been looking at - http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.as...S&Category=130

and here is another - http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/783
      There is another for a hundred less that is not digital - http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/782
      --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
      www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
        Electric will be the easiest to regulate... Let me think on it... Im sure theres a temp prob that will work with a gas valve with a + - of less than 5*
        Oh Yeah... not that I can mention The "mythical" Beast again, but I fully expect around a 5-10 degree spread. As far as pilots, there must be controls that have an auto-light feature- in absence of a thermocouple reading. T-H...c'mon man it's yer biz!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I know... I just need to get to my books at the office and see what I can find that would work for what he wants and not break the bank..

I dont think Mossy wants to pay 400 bones for a spark ignition setup that may not do what he wants.. If he wants to add a 24 volt transformer we can get him fixed up... If not, we need to look into a thermal generator or millivolt setup..
          Ken

Comment

A 12V car bat, cheapo power inverter powers both a couple light bulbs AND a 24VAC transformer.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

btw, where IS the beast.........going on close to 3 years now isn't it Rich?

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Would it work to rob the parts you need from an old mobile home propane furnace? In some cases, the furnaces in them mobile homes out lasted the home. Maybe you have a salvage yard close by.

Tom

Comment

Marty started out this thread all wrong… he did not have my approval (I am MossyMo's wife by the way), I told him to find out what we need, get the stuff ordered and get the smoker going. If he didn't order it I would and would proabably order all the wrong things. We have lots to process and we are already ½ way to another deer season. We have been out of all our favorites for almost a yr now.

I am willing to spend a reasonable amount of money to set this smoker up right and for the long run. It will last years and we really like the layout of the inside and the racks we have. What I really wanted and we have talked about doing it for years is setting it up on a thermostat so you didn’t have to adjust it constantly every 20 mins or so. I would like to stay with the propane because I like our end results with that. I know that we can put in something cheap but I don’t want to take a bunch of shortcuts and have a bunch of clutter or it to look messy. We are having a problem starting because of how low we want the temperature to be able to go. We would like it to be able to be set between 90 to 110 degrees to start out with.
                  Where to Shop -
                  www.OwensBBQ.com

Follow Tatonka Dust on Facebook -
                  https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust

Comment

Well sounds like the boss has spoken... Howdy Mossy's wife..

Im sure we can come up with something that will be satisfactory..
                    Ken

Comment

OK ... This is what I have found.. Again Im not sure what your budget is but this will work and I feel it would do a great job...

First you will need a gas valve and spark ignition module. You could find a universal kit. There are many manufacturers out there. Here is just one of them..

Honeywell

These can run from $200 - $300

Honeywell Relight Ignition Upgraded Replacement KIT:

Y8610U Universal Retrofit Intermittent Pilot Gas Burner Ignition System Complete kits converting conventional standing pilot system to intermittent pilot system. For use with 24 Vac gas-fired atmospheric furnaces, boiler and heating appliances.

INLET GAS LINE SIZE: 3/4" or 1/2"

OUTLET GAS LINE SIZE:3/4" or 1/2"
                      Used Existing Pilot Light
                      Gas Pipe Reducing Bushings Included.

Honeywell Y8610U kits are for use with Natural or LP Gas: provides 100 percent pilot gas shutoff if pilot fails to light; after 6-minute delay, trial for ignition is repeated.
                      Ignition trail/delay sequence is repeated until the appliance lights or call for heat is removed.

Product Specifications:

Ignition System Type Intermittent Pilot.
                      Ignition Sequence Continuous retry [after trial for ignition, pilot gas shuts off for 5 minutes, then another trial for pilot.
                      ignition takes place] Flame Sense Single Rod Ignition Source Internal high voltage spark generator Prepurge (sec) none.
                      Flame Failure Response Time (sec) 0.8 sec @ 1.0 microamp.
                      Typical Ignition Hardware Q345, Q3451.
                      Typical Gas Control VR8304M Dual Valve Combination Gas Control.
                      Gas Type L.P./ Natural
                      Description Provide electronic control of intermittent pilot ignition systems used on gas fired furnaces, boilers, and other heating appliances.
                      Dimensions (in.) 3 15/16 in. high, 5 7/16 in. wide, 2 5/8 in. deep.
                      Dimensions (mm) 100 mm high, 138 mm wide, 67 mm deep.
                      Control Voltage (Thermostat or other call for heat) 24 VAC / 60 Hz.
                      Electrical Ratings (Vac) 24 Vac.
                      Frequency (Hz) 60 Hz
                      Temperature Ratings (max. ambient)(C) -40 C to +74 C.
                      24 volt spark ignition gas valve kit
                      Temperature Ratings (max. ambient)(F) -40 F to +165 F.

Next you will need a burner..

I would use a water heater burner, do to they are low BTU. and they have the gas tubing assembled... But you could use a bare bones turkey fryer burner if you wish..

These can run from $75 - $200

Or a turkey fryer burner for around $15 - $25.. but yu need to install the tubing and orifice in the burner...

Then you will need a thermostat... I can not find the one I have at the house on mine. But I paid $75 for it..

The range of it is 90* to 240* if I am not mistaken..

Add a 120 to 24v transformer and your ready to go... Adjust the gas flow and install intake air and exhaust...
                      Ken

Comment

I cant add to this, I just wanted to say hi MS. Mossy... Welcome...

sigpic

Comment

Texas-Hunter

WOW, that is a lot of information! It is sort of like reading another language.

We are willing to put in the money to make it right. I am having a hard time finding a thermostat that goes as low as 90, that is why we were looking at that one for $160, but i see you found one for about 1/2 of that. I will have to keep looking.

Hopefully we can get more help from you once we find all the materials.

Thanks,
                          MossyMO's wife
                          Where to Shop -
                          www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

I forgot to get the model number off the one I have at the house... Its made by Siemens.. I can help with the wiring diagram if needed.
                            Ken

Comment

http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=304

Would this take the place of the gas valve and spark ignition module along with the burner? Price doesn't seem too out of line once you start purchasing things and paying shipping at differnt places.
                              Where to Shop -
                              www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Working...
                              X