Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pork Butt Serving Size question

Guys,

I am a FireFighter and was recently told I was needed to cook for our annual business meeting next month. I am planning on pulled pork, smoked baked beans, cole slaw and a desert. I will be using my newly built fridge smoker which can be seen in the homebuilds section. The question is how many average sized (6-9lbs)boston butts will it take to feed 30-40 people, remember these are not average people but Firefighters.
    Can someone grab me a beer, I am busy watching the smoker!

There are a lot of variables here...tell us are there going to be sides as well? is it being served to them, or will it be set up as a buffet where they serve themselves?

I would figure on at least 1/2 lb each...remember that the yield on a butt is approximately 60% after trimming, and shrinkage. Then I always throw in 10-15% extra just for good measure. Better to have leftovers than people going hungry. Also, if a buffet, set the sides up first and the meat last, so people don't just specialize on the pulled pork.

Just a few thoughts...I'm sure it will be awesome.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

I figured 3-8lbs would cover it, like I said in my original post I plan on having cole slaw, smoked baked beans and a dessert. Yes buffet style and we always put the meat last. We have a certified chef that is on our department and is usually the cook although he will be on a cruise this year during the meeting, I am #2.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
        There are a lot of variables here...tell us are there going to be sides as well? is it being served to them, or will it be set up as a buffet where they serve themselves?

I would figure on at least 1/2 lb each...remember that the yield on a butt is approximately 60% after trimming, and shrinkage. Then I always throw in 10-15% extra just for good measure. Better to have leftovers than people going hungry. Also, if a buffet, set the sides up first and the meat last, so people don't just specialize on the pulled pork.

Just a few thoughts...I'm sure it will be awesome.
        I agree with that except increase the left overs to 15-20%...but I love me some pulled pork...it freezes great!!!
        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
        Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Are YOU controlling the portions? If so, figure your portion size per person. 1/3# is the norm I think. Firemen, maybe go 1/2# each on LARGE buns. (1/2# is allot of pp so you could easily get two 4oz. sammies out of that.)

Figure on a 50% loss of volume from the butts. Trimming, bone, fat drippings ect.

40 people with the above figures at 1/2# per person, you'll need 20# of cooked meat, which is 40# of raw and going with 50# for a buffer just in case. Better to have too much than not enough and you can take it home

I think I got them figures right. If not, someone will come along and correct me
          https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by Il Bowhunter 82 View Post
            I figured 3-8lbs would cover it...
            BowHunter, you gotta go on cooked weight. So 20 lbs finished at 60% yield has you starting at about 35 lbs. Throw in 10-20% cushion, and you are about 42 lbs starting weight. If you go with a 50% yield as Meat Hunter suggested, 50#.

3 eight lb'ers ain't gonna cut it.
            BBQ Eng.

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

I was figuring about 1/3 # per serving, so I will use the 1/2# figure. Just to make sure my math was correct. If I started with the original planned 24lbs and used 1/3# per serving I should be able to yield 36 servings correct??

Comment

I also have to "plan" for 30-40 people, I think the most we have ever had at one of these meetings is about 16 people so thats why I was cutting it down some, my luck though everyone would show up that night and screw me.

Comment

Originally posted by Il Bowhunter 82 View Post
                  I was figuring about 1/3 # per serving, so I will use the 1/2# figure. Just to make sure my math was correct. If I started with the original planned 24lbs and used 1/3# per serving I should be able to yield 36 servings correct??
                  Yup...that's how I calculate it, given that you are using a 50% yield and no cushion.

24 lbs @ 50% yield = 12 lbs. of finished product.
                  1/3 lb servings would yield 36 servings.

better hope all 40 don't show and that no one wants seconds. Plan for more is my humble suggestion. Craft made smoked meats beat mass produced stuff every time, and I'm sure you will get many pats on the back and hearty hand shakes...don't send 'em away hungry.
                  BBQ Eng.

Comment

24# precooked will get about 14.4# cook meat. Which will make about 48 (1/3#) sammys. I think that is cutting it pretty close to what you need.. If you have big eaters then you are in trouble. I would shoot to end with close to 24# which means you need to start with 40# of meat. 24# of cooked meat will make 80 (1/3#) sammys and 48 (1/2#) sammys.

more is better in my mind.
                    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                    Yoder YS640
                    Weber Genesis
                    Weber 18.5" Kettle
                    Weber Performer
                    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I know more is better, just trying to keep it down in cost for these guys since the department pays for it, no money out of my pocket but I also don't want to turn in a $200 bill and have a ton of stuff left over. I will plan on 45#'s and go from there.

Comment

there is a great excel spread sheet posted in this thread by davidmcg

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...el+spreadsheet

you can use it as a starting point, shoot i use it all the time and never had any problems

marcus
                        Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X